PS2 vs PS3 (PS2 playback) (56k)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PS2 vs PS3 (PS2 playback) (56k)

I started this because I was curious to know if the PS3 would be able to enhance the PS2 playback of games as advertised.

Heres a short summary of my results. Despite what you may think they actually look worse on the PS3.

So we'll start here with a good game which shows off a nice 3d engine well. That game is MGS2 Subsistence. The game is rated to run in 480i only, however using the PS3 you can allow 480p mode forced through the PS3.

We'll start with the old.
    PS2 480i:

Sure, its got jagged edges galore, but its an un-filtered image. Crisp, and clean with no blurring. This is our base.

So next we'll want to try the PS3 in 480i mode, right? Surely it will look the same?
    PS3 480i

Jesus holy Mary mother of God! The PS3 image is blurred to hell!
    PS2 ---------------------- PS3

Alright, well thats a disappointment, but surely 480p would fare better!
    PS3 480p:

Dear god, not only does it remain the same blurry image, but it also changes the color accuracy! Everything has a green tint now.

PS2 ---------------------- PS3

Alright, shit. How can we fix this? Lets throw the PS3's filters at it! That might work! Right?

PS3 480p Filtering On:

Oh fuck, We've somehow made it even more blurry than non filtered PS3

PS3 (Not Filtered) ---------------------- PS3 (Filtered)

Fuck it! Last resort time! Scale it to 1080p using the PS3 and then back down! It surely has to fix SOME problems, right?!

PS3 1080p scaled back to 480p:

FUCK! Now everything is red colored due to color accuracy being lost.

PS3 (Filtered) ---------------------- PS3 (Filtered, Scaled)

Moral?

Use your PS2 for PS2 games. Scaling, Filtering, and general playback with those features off SUCKS on the PS3.

Color me surprised. And here I thought the PS3 had this going for it.

Comment

pictures?

Comment

Stop using internet explorer, It doesnt display PNG.

Comment

PS2 games are OK on the PS2, at least they're playable. But I think the PS1 games look much worse than I remember or maybe I just need to change to a CRT TV for my PS1 games or something..

Comment

Ill be doing a comparison of ps1 games as soon as I get my SCART cable in for the ps1 ;)

Comment

Holy crap...That's just ridiculous.

I think I'll just stick with my PS2.

Comment

Edit: I meant "PS2 games are OK on the PS3" not PS2 games on PS2 obviously

I bought the PS3 for high def movies and new generation games. Anything else is just a bonus. PS2s are cheap as chips now anyway lol.

Comment

I'd be worried if I were freezing frames and looking at every single shot up close like this.

I don't, and generally speaking with 90% of games, they look a tad smoother on the PS3. PS2 games load a bit smoother (especially ones with ADX streaming), but for PS games, I'd much rather play them on the original console.

MGS2 does look blurry though, as does MGS3. RE4 looks like a mess with the filtering on, but without it, it looks a bit better IMO. Though the lower res textures stand out. I think the best looking game that I have with the filtering on is the original DMC.

Now if you want a VERY good reason to not play them on the PS3, it's the audio. Stereo separation is poor and the bitrate seems to be much lower through optical.

Comment

MGS2 Subsistence.
                    that would be MGS3, MGS2 was Substance

and now i shall quit being a smartass :p

Comment

PS2 can at least play PS games but u need special function to play PS1 games.

PS3 is a device from sony that even PS1 and PS2 games can't be loaded properly, and don't even to say PLAY any PS1 or PS2 games. only to watch blu-ray movie.

Comment

You are mis informed Arlumit. PS3 is backwards compatible with PS2 and PS1 games.

Comment

Heh, wasn't going to bother with backwards compatability anyway xD
                          PROJECT Umbrella - The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium

Comment

Originally posted by Dot50Cal View Post
                            You are mis informed Arlumit. PS3 is backwards compatible with PS2 and PS1 games.
                            Not all of them. There were (and I believe still are) a large amount of titles which won't run properly on the PS3.

PS2 can at least play PS games but u need special function to play PS1 games.
                            Must be pre-loaded in the PS2, because they all play PS1 stuff fine. Trust me, I have 3 PS2s.

Comment

The PS2 games that don't play properly on the PS3 are the same one that don't work well on the slim PS2 as well. The vast majority of titles do in fact work. Pre-release, it was said to be 200 titles that don't work but that number included different SKU's. For example, two versions of T5 (Original and Greatest Hits).

PAL consoles are partially emulating the games via software so the number of incompatible titles higher. It's still a much larger number than the 360 BC list, though it's arguable that it's not better quality wise.

Comment

Working...
                              X