Disc Smasher / Bio Disc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disc Smasher / Bio Disc

Here's a little frontend-type utility I made for the creation of PSone discs.

As a bonus, Bio/RE games are supported. Currently, 31 (!) various versions of Bio Hazard and Resident Evil are supported, though this preliminary version only supports a few (18).

Unlike other 'packers' and 'rebuilders', this toold does not disable checsum routines for Bio/RE games - instead, it calculates and places that data into the exe before iso compilation. Many thanks to 'someone who cares' for the checksum routine (even though it's only 1 line of code)

Please view the readme for more information.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by MeganGrass; 07-04-2013, 12:50 PM.
    I'm a blackstar.

WOW! this is simply amazing Mark! Thanks for share it!!!

Also, glad to see you back. ;)

Comment

That's a neat surprise. Always nice with a bit of streamlined solutions for this stuff (but, man, buildCD ... does it still act like ass in Vista/W7/W8?)

By the way, if you repack it as a RAR, the forum itself supports the attachment of it (so no need for external hosting). Don't think I ever added ZIP to the approved list.
      Last edited by Carnivol; 07-03-2013, 12:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Biohazard View Post
        WOW! this is simply amazing Mark! Thanks for share it!!!

Also, glad to see you back. ;)
        You're welcome.

...wasn't aware that I went anywhere, but I appreciate the concern!

Originally posted by Carnivol View Post
        That's a neat surprise. Always nice with a bit of streamlined solutions for this stuff (but, man, buildCD ... does it still act like ass in Vista/W7/W8?)

By the way, if you repack it as a RAR, the forum itself supports the attachment of it (so no need for external hosting). Don't think I ever added ZIP to the approved list.
        Thanks!

Well, I hadn't planned for usage of 'buildcd' at all, when I first started the app - it wasn't meant to be anything more than an executable patcher for a select-few bio/capcom games.

Then, I had planned to just write my own iso/bin creator... but even after 20 years it seems that the iso/bin format is still unknown (certain aspects, anyway).

I found some good info at nocash's site, but there's still not enough info... so, I had to use buildcd, in the end. I'm not sure if it cocks-up on newer systems, but it shouldn't because I use a customised 'CreateProcess()' function to execute it. If it does, however, just let me know and I'll figure another solution (cd-tools?).

..and about the rar, I suppose I'll use that feature in the next update.

Speaking of updates, a few notes:

The 'NEXTTETRIS' volume/disc label and 'Hasbro Interactive' publisher titles is placeholder data that does not effect gameplay.

Game data must remain in the 'DISC' folder. I had a 'Select Folder' dialog in-use that I had to can. Long story short, blame ancient-ass DOS code and 'buildcd' for that, not 'Disc Smasher'.

As I mentioned in the 'readme' file, STR attributes are either hard-coded into the executable or disc track sectors - 'Disc Smasher' is not causing corruption for a rebuilt 'RE Director's Cut Dual Shock' - the intro video stops short because it is programmed to do so.
        I'm a blackstar.

Comment

Hey Mark, I want to rebuild "Bio2 Beta v2", but I have a few of problems:

1-I can't convert the LICENSEX.DAT files to 24.0 KB, because I can't find "lconvert.exe" in google, you can give me some help to find it?

2-I can't fix the .STR and .XAS files using the option "Disc->xa_extract", I try a lot of times, but the tool not fix it... maybe I have to try to use commands?

Thanks in advance.
          Last edited by Dark Biohazard; 07-03-2013, 06:01 PM.

Comment

Very nice!!! Thanks for sharing!

Comment

So it says I need lconvert.exe, I assume it's some copyrighted file as it's not included, right? I already have the buildcd and stripiso files as well as the liscence files, but can not locate the lconvert.exe file. Could anyone toss me a hint via PM?
              My Head-Fi Page

Comment

Thank you, Mark. This I intend to try out as soon as I get the time.
                Do you know where I can find the final build of Resident Evil 1.5?
                Please contact me if so! re15finalbuild@gmail.com

Comment

I can't fix the .STR and .XAS files using the option "Disc->xa_extract", I try a lot of times, but the tool not fix it... maybe I have to try to use commands?
                  Hmm, just noticed that this only seems to work when the xa or str is placed into the same directory as 'discsmasher.exe'. Stupid commandline apps.

I'll most likely remove 'xa_extract.exe' and just build my own functionality for it, as previously planned.

@ALL - I added 'lconvert.exe' in the first post. It should be included in the 'buildcd tools' zip archive, but...
                  Last edited by MeganGrass; 07-04-2013, 06:34 AM.
                  I'm a blackstar.

Comment

Thanks a lot for providing us "lconvert.exe", Mark!

Well, now I try to rebuild "Bio2 Beta v2", but not work for me, when I run "bio2.bat", looks like the tool is working fine, in the process I can see that this files appear:

But, when the process finish, disappear almost all the files from the folder... and just keep this 2 files:

You know what can be the problem?

I'm not using spaces in the main folder, I'm using "\cd" directory.

Also, I'm using Windows XP SP3.

I hope you can help me, I'm really motived with this tool!

Thanks in advance Mark!
                    Last edited by Dark Biohazard; 07-04-2013, 09:39 AM.

Comment

Thanks a lot for providing us "lconvert.exe", Mark!

Well, now I try to rebuild "Bio2 Beta v2", but not work for me, when I run "bio2.bat", looks like the tool is working fine, in the process I can see that this files appear:

But, when the process finish, disappear almost all the files from the folder... and just keep this 2 files:

You know what can be the problem?

I'm not using spaces in the main folder, I'm using "\cd" directory.

Also, I'm using Windows XP SP3.

I hope you can help me, I'm really motived with this tool!

Thanks in advance Mark!
                      If you provided pictures of your results, I'm sorry; I cannot view them with this browser. :/

When 'bio2.bat' is complete, the only files that should be in the directory are:
                      disc.cti // provided with the app; used by buildcd
                      disc.cue // provided with the app; used with the *.bin image
                      disc.log // a cd image logfile output by buildcd
                      disc.bin //the actual cd image, output by buildcd

.. and of course, the readme, executable and folders.
                      I'm a blackstar.

Comment

When I run "bio2.bat" appear this files:
                        disc.bat
                        disc.ctl
                        CDW900E.TOC
                        DISC.IMG
                        DISC.LOG
                        QSHEET.TOC

When finish the process, disappear almost all and just keep this 2 files:
                        disc.ctl
                        DISC.LOG

So, the more important file: "DISC.IMG", disappear...

I hope you can help me to fix it, thanks!

Comment

DISC.IMG is supposed to disappear; it isn't needed after conversion to BIN format and is deleted. It would appear that 'STRIPISO' isn't working for you, or that you've obtained an old version.

Here are the stats for the 'STRIPISO' version I use:
                          8.53 KB (8,736 bytes)
                          Saturday, November 30, 2002, 12:44:56 PM

Just in-case, I'll remove the parameter that deletes the 'disc.img' file, and you can manually convert the IMG file to a BIN yourself.

I really wish documentation were available for the iso/bin format, so that I didn't have to rely on these ancient-as-fuck DOS commandline apps.

EDIT:
                          Here, save the CTL file before it gets deleted and try this batch file instead:

Code:
                          .\utility\buildcd -e1 -i -l -m -zjp disc.cti
                          .\utility\stripiso s 2352 disc.img disc.bin
                          If that ^ doesn't work, you've definitely got an old/bad build of STRIPISO.
                          Last edited by MeganGrass; 07-04-2013, 10:46 AM.
                          I'm a blackstar.

Comment

I see, yeah I have a old version of STRIPISO (October 24, 2000, 21:38), I will try to get the new version.

I will try rebuild again and I will tell you if work or not.

A last question Mark, I also want to rebuild BH2 Trial Edition, so, I made the "filelist.txt" for it, you can tell me if I made it correctly? here the filelist:
                            MediaFire is a simple to use free service that lets you put all your photos, documents, music, and video in a single place so you can access them anywhere and share them everywhere.

Thanks for all the help Mark!

Comment

Ah, simple mistake; could've happened to anyone.

I noticed that the version of STRIPISO I use isn't (c) to SN Systems (it's an independent "Revenge of StripISO" version), so I provided it in the first post.

At this point, I may as well repack the archive to include those tools.

EDIT: Your filelist looks fine, except for a few things.

First, you want to remove all the ROCKMAN NEO data; there's no point in bloating your results.
                              Also, the LBA value is wrong - it should be 23.

Other than that, everything looks fine.

Just to note: The bio2/re2 trial EXE contains checksum data for select RockMan Neo data, but is not needed (unless one plans to make a stand-alone version of that game trial )
                              Last edited by MeganGrass; 07-04-2013, 11:24 AM.
                              I'm a blackstar.

Comment

Working...
                              X