Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why Gaiden is canon (no question marks or grammatical errors here)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Gaiden is canon (no question marks or grammatical errors here)

Yep, another canon/non-canon-topic, as if we didn't have enough of them already.

Question 6 here pretty much confirms that Gaiden is canon.

Leon was on another mission in December 1998 -> can't be Resident Evil 2 nor Resident Evil 4, so it has to be Gaiden (further confirmed by the mentioning of the anti-Umbrella-group).
    Gaiden also was in development during this interview.

Okay, now bring on the "Resident Evil 4" contradicts "Gaiden" because it does...not.

you do realize RE gaiden had something of an anticlimactic ending .

Comment

Originally posted by A-J View Post
      you do realize RE gaiden had something of an anticlimactic ending .
      So RE4 is non-canon, too?
      Last edited by Guest; 07-19-2007, 01:22 PM.

Comment

So, in the middle of a mission, he found the time to check his email, then some how contact Chris (who apparently does not believe in email, mind you). I'm not sure where that would exactly fit into Leon's mission. Perhaps he was investigating the mission before he actually departed for the ship when he was contacted? That would be the only feasable explanation really...

Comment

So RE4 is non-canon, too?
          eh ? i was referring to the part of the game implying that leon is actually the bow thingie, i dont see the re4 connection here ?

Comment

I don't think this could still be called reliable info anymore. How old is that interview? 6 years?

In my opinion, Gaiden isn't part of the official storyline. Since even the title itself means "side-story" in Japanese.

Besides, it's not like it could have been a different mission, you don't have to automatically assume that it was Gaiden. I'm sure 1998 would've been a really turbulent year for whatever anti-Umbrella group Leon was working for.
            PROJECT Umbrella - The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium

Comment

Besides of the cliffhanger ending where Leon seams to be the BOW (sorry for those who doesn't play it yet... play it under your own risk, and join the group if you're disapointed), as CiarenDevlin said, Gaiden means "side-story" in Japanese.

Is a Spin-Off...

Comment

Originally posted by A-J View Post
                eh ? i was referring to the part of the game implying that leon is actually the bow thingie, i dont see the re4 connection here ?
                Forget it. You didn't get what I did there.

Originally posted by CiarenDevlin View Post
                I don't think this could still be called reliable info anymore. How old is that interview? 6 years?
                Coming that way would make every single bit of information irrelevant, including the previous games.

In my opinion, Gaiden isn't part of the official storyline. Since even the title itself means "side-story" in Japanese.
                It does not, 外伝 (gaiden) means "additional story".

Besides, it's not like it could have been a different mission, you don't have to automatically assume that it was Gaiden. I'm sure 1998 would've been a really turbulent year for whatever anti-Umbrella group Leon was working for.
                Katoh mentions that "this story has already been finished" (written), meaning it is being used in a then future game.
                Last edited by Guest; 07-19-2007, 11:53 PM.

Comment

"Gaiden is a Japanese term for a side story. Sometimes the English phrase "Another Story" is used within a Japanese title. Often the side story is considered to take place in an alternate universe from its original counterpart, and does not affect the main story. "

Comment

Coming that way would make every single bit of information irrelevant, including the previous games.
                    But you have to realize that with RE, it's not the exact same team working on each game. The team is almost entirely different through each literation. That's primarily the reason why there are so many plot holes. They can make and break whatever information they see fit. Which is most likely the case with that interview.

Besides. The ending to Gaiden was only feasible until RE4 was announced. Then it was like "NOPE LOL". So..that's it. You can't really say the game is canon through the ending, which is so blatantly ass raping to the storyline after the release of RE4.
                    Last edited by News Bot; 07-20-2007, 12:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dot50Cal View Post
                      "Gaiden is a Japanese term for a side story. Sometimes the English phrase "Another Story" is used within a Japanese title. Often the side story is considered to take place in an alternate universe from its original counterpart, and does not affect the main story. "
                      Wikipedia is a no-no. I could have written it means "lemon tree" and people would spread the word. And it reads:
                      Sometimes the side story is considered to take place in an alternate universe from its original counterpart, and does not affect the main story.
                      That's a consequence of mistranslating the term in the first place. And because few games use it that way (heck, even "Majora's Mask" was called "Zelda Gaiden" before the name-change and its story was the same as the final and it is part of the timeline), doesn't mean Resident Evil Gaiden has to.
                      Just look for the term 外伝 in a dictionary.

Besides. The ending to Gaiden was only feasible until RE4 was announced. Then it was like "NOPE LOL". So..that's it. You can't really say the game is canon through the ending, which is so blatantly ass raping to the storyline after the release of RE4.
                      1998 - 2004
                      Last edited by Guest; 07-20-2007, 12:30 AM.

Comment

Play RE4. Does Leon have green blood? Nope. End of discussion.

Comment

Originally posted by Dot50Cal View Post
                          Play RE4. Does Leon have green blood? Nope. End of discussion.
                          I understand, Mr. Mikami.

Comment

1998 - 2004
                            I don't see how a few years changes the fact that you are not even human.

Comment

Let me explain something very delicate to you. You cannot use information from an interview casted by a director who didn't even direct Gaiden to validate your wild theory. You are picking and choosing information from different sources to show your side of the argument. This is a common practice in politics, Moore uses this tactic, and its getting old.

The interview is not relevant to anything, if at all, other than CV itself, directly.

Comment

Working...
                              X