Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Resident Evil and Silent Hill were never really rivals.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resident Evil and Silent Hill were never really rivals.

Agree or not? They are nothing alike.

You don't have to be alike to be competitors. I wouldn't say rivals, but there were more than a few comparisons between the two.

Comment

For me it was rivals, before I understand the history of Silent Hill of course.

But I have to say that the Heavens Night bar appeared in Resident Evil Evil Survivor.

What game came first?
      Silent Hill or Resident Evil Survivor??

Comment

Silent Hill 1 was originally released in 1999 and came out before Resident Evil Survivor (which was released one year after).
        However, Heavens Night first featured in Silent Hill 2 released in 2001. I'm guessing that it's probably a homage to the RE series.
        Or a massive coincidence, I doubt it though.

As for rivals, I'd have to disagree. Competitors? Yeah, you could say that. When Resident Evil was released, everyone was playing it.
        When Silent Hill was released, everyone was playing it.

Comment

They are both brilliant series's in their own respective rights .. and both do their own thing well in the way of horror and survival.
          Love them both as much hehe xD
          "I never thought any of this stuff my brother taught me would work!"

Comment

Originally posted by BSAA . Org View Post
            Agree or not? They are nothing alike.
            Agreed, I felt they were just different types of 'horror'.

Comment

By the way, I have not really been all that interested in Silent Hill since 4: The Room. And considering that was out like nearly 11 years ago, it shows how uninterested I have been in the series.

Correction. Perhaps I should say my interest waned after Origins. Even that took ages to come to the PS2 after being a PSP only title for around 2 years.

I never got into Shattered Memories at all. I have the PS2 version and I honestly never feel motivated to play it. Homecoming had a great story and awesome graphics as it was the first Xbox 360 Silent Hill release, but then there was its shitty, awkward game mechanics and Downpour is OK, but I never really felt that drawn into it. Guess my depression problems and yearning for a girlfriend just took over in the end!

Comment

As an origin, Silent Hill was originally requested by management at Konami as a horror title to answer to Resident Evil, so in regards to it's first origin it was intended to be a rival... but I think the final game the team made just never really ever was intended to sit in the same place just because of how different in background it is. I think that was partly by design and partly just the way it was successful. Had it just been a ResEvil clone (and there was plenty of those on platforms in the late 90's and even into the early 2000's) it wouldn't have gone anywhere.

On the front of popularity to sales as well, as much as I enjoy the SH franchise in general, it's never been close there either. Only SH2 has ever really sold to the numbers of any real competition to the RE sales, and that amount is still the same level a low quality RE spin-off title can sell based on the brands strength even these days - so yeah, again - not really a rival thing there either.

Fan strength is a more interesting debate. RE fans can be crazy rabid, but I think Silent Hill fans are a much more vocal and much more vicious group... mostly because they believe they've sat through so many bad games now they know what a good one looks like apparently. I don't know if I agree... Origins wasn't that bad it just didn't really do anything new, SM got great reviews but I still haven't played it, and I personally enjoyed Downpour - mostly because of it's open streets and throwback references - with Homecoming being the worst with it's movie tie ins and terrible game design... I think it's been a rough decade for the series but it's not as bad as everyone makes out or else Konami would have truly pulled the plug a long time ago.
                Last edited by Rombie; 04-03-2015, 05:59 AM.

Comment

I never saw them as such, both games were great in their own way. Silent Hill probably left a stronger lasting impression on me as a child.... that game played with your head. Resident Evil and Silent Hill 1 are two of my favorite childhood games.

Comment

They were never rivals.

honestly Silent Hill is and always will be a better franchise then RE. I mean sure while every SH game after 4 wasn't stella it still stuck true to SH, every game tried to still mess with your head and scare you and really got you thinking. RE just just went crazy after 4, it forgot who it was.

Comment

My interest for Silent Hill has waxed and waned. After 4: The Room, I was more into RE. But I kept an appreciation for the franchise. I was kind of worried about 'The Arcade' game in case they started making Silent Hill action focused, which would kind of suck ass.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.BioHazard View Post
                        They were never rivals.

honestly Silent Hill is and always will be a better franchise then RE. I mean sure while every SH game after 4 wasn't stella it still stuck true to SH, every game tried to still mess with your head and scare you and really got you thinking. RE just just went crazy after 4, it forgot who it was.
                        Eh I disagree, atleast the post RE4 games are fun to play in some occasions (like Revelations 1 and 2 and UC/DSC). Post SH3 games bore me to death and make me think i'd rather be playing the first 3 masterpieces.

Comment

Resident Evil and Silent Hill are so different, but the truth is Silent Hill always was in a step down in terms of quality like graphics, dialogs, mechanics. Silent hill has wonderful ost though.

Comment

Originally posted by yurieu View Post
                            Resident Evil and Silent Hill are so different, but the truth is Silent Hill always was in a step down in terms of quality like graphics, dialogs, mechanics. Silent hill has wonderful ost though.
                            Say what now?

SH2 and especially SH3's character models, lighting, and self shadows were well ahead of the industry curve. In fact SH3 and latterly SH4's character skins were still better than half the games that came out for the last generation (we're talking 360 and PS3 here), with properly realized wrinkles, age spots, hair, and level of detail that most developers didn't bother with until maybe four or five years ago. Even now the level of craft put in would still hold up in today's games reasonably well, and we're talking about titles that came out in 2001, 2003, and 2004 respectively.

Click image for larger version

Name:	sh32009-09-1121-43-28-shm6.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	404752Click image for larger version

Name:	sh32009-09-1121-29-24-8itz.jpg
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	404753Click image for larger version

Name:	sh32009-09-1122-49-06-sdnj.jpg
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	404754

Dialogue is two distinct issues of writing vs. voice. The former (writing) was generally always better in SH over RE, because the translations were better handled or planned during development. The latter, voice acting, is entirely subjective.

Mechanics... well, subjective again. To me combat was better in RE generally, but SH was also somewhat intentionally melee and poor aim focused. Generally 3D control in SH was improved faster in the franchise than RE did, but the outcome was reasonably close.

All well and good to have an opinion, far be it for me to say otherwise, but to say the graphics were always worse is a travesty of incorrect comment.
                            Last edited by Rombie; 08-30-2015, 03:27 PM.

Comment

I know this thread is like so old now, but I just wanted to say RIP to Silent Hill. It was fun, in a nightmarish, screwed-up kinda way!

Seriously...I doubt Konami are going to produce another one. At least we've still got Allison Road (whenever the heck that will be out).

Comment

Working...
                              X