NTSC-U CODE: Veronica on PAL Dreamcast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NTSC-U CODE: Veronica on PAL Dreamcast

Not sure if it's right to post it here since this is a technical problem, but I was wondering if anyone has tried to do what I'm currently trying to do.

I whipped out my Dreamcast because I wanted to play the original version of CODE: Veronica, which I haven't played in probably a decade (I've been playing the "X" version on my GCN), I only own an original PAL copy, but I decided to get the American NTSC-U version because I want to play the game in 60Hz. Now the problem is, the NTSC version boots in PAL 50Hz. I've tried using a Gameshark CDX and an Action Replay CDX (both are the same thing really, the latter being the PAL version) to forcefully boot the game in NTSC mode, but when I do the image is completely distorted, and it's exactly the same when I try forcing the PAL version into NTSC.

It has to be the fact that the game is unoptimised for any region, because I have a few Japanese games that all boot into NTSC-J 60Hz no problem (there being very little difference between NTSC-J and NTSC-U). Anyone here have any sort of clue on how I can force the game into NTSC on my PAL system?...

Cheers!

A PAL game will not run in 60hz (90% of the time).
    PROJECT Umbrella - The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium

Comment

Someone patched this somehow for the copies that were floating around online illegally, so I assume there is some way of doing that way. However I know the Xploder or a DC-X disc is supposed to allow 60hz output. I have the AR CDX disc and I don't think that ever worked, but I'm fairly certain I used an Xploder disc - and if thats the case those two should work.

The answer as to why - Code: Veronica was neither inherently 50Hz or 60Hz for either the American or European release. Whichever version you put in, the console just outputs at a localized default hz rate. So a PAL console would display the game in 50Hz and an NTSC console in 60Hz, because it checked the region of the console to determine at what refresh rate to play the game.

Sadly this was when Capcom didn't have a European operation yet and was in the midst of some shitty optimization done by other parties, so they didn't tell Capcom to do anything otherwise nor did Capcom think to allow this to be a selectable option - just allowing the console to decide. Maybe this was a Sega/Nextech decision, I'm not sure... but it seems like something Sega might have supported. Also due to this, Code: Veronica is supposedly non VGA compliant, meaning you can't run it off a VGA box. It just outputs a blank screen supposedly - but I never tried so I'm not 100% on this. Maybe someone else knows.

Admittedly Code: Veronica running at 50hz on Dreamcast is nothing compared to the horrors of Onimusha, Devil May Cry, Code: Veronica X and the like of other early PS2 ports before Capcom started allowing 60hz modes and better PAL conversions in general in 2002. Had the Dreamcast had longer lifespan for most companies, I assume the option would have eventually be supported.

NB - Actually, on the Dreamcast - the opposite is true. Either most games supported options, or could be forced into a 60hz bootup. I'd say only 10% of Dreamcast games couldn't be. I had to double check the Xploder thing and came across this file, which has a short list of what games couldn't be booted.

Last edited by Rombie; 10-28-2013, 11:49 AM.

Comment

I could force 60hz on some Dreamcast games (RE2 and BIO2 Value Plus last ones I tried) but it would be black and white or very... glitched. It's been a long time so I can't remember how it goes for the most part, haha.
        Last edited by News Bot; 10-28-2013, 11:53 AM.
        PROJECT Umbrella - The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium

Comment

Maybe it was the TV output and/or a difference in true NTSC against PAL60 (which is a different thing)... I'm not 100% sure.

I had the option on my old old CRT to play around with the various V-Sync refresh rates, so it might by why I was always able to get them up and running perfectly. It also helped for me when I would play my imported NTSC/NTSC-J games on my chipped PlayStation of course - that was true NTSC output. On other peoples TV's that would end up being black and white or glitched with overlapping scanlines, which sounds like your description. If I wanted to take Xenogears or Silent Hill around to a friends place, I eventually had to start taking my hefty TV along too... haha

Edit - to the OP - looking around online, there are a few homebrew programs you can burn to disc that boot legitimate Dreamcast games in whatever way you want (50 to 60 or in reverse). I won't link to anything because they're on sites with also illegitimate materials... but it shouldn't be hard to find. I've never tried them, so I can't say they'll work, but it's worth looking into.
          Last edited by Rombie; 10-28-2013, 12:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rombie View Post
            Someone patched this somehow for the copies that were floating around online illegally, so I assume there is some way of doing that way. However I know the Xploder or a DC-X disc is supposed to allow 60hz output. I have the AR CDX disc and I don't think that ever worked, but I'm fairly certain I used an Xploder disc - and if thats the case those two should work.
            Either one of these always work for me, DC-X is usually my go-to for this kind of thing.

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys, really, thought my thread was a bit obscure to be honest.

Cheers for the info Rombie, and I've actually already burned two different backups of the game that have been patched to boot up in 60Hz on PAL machines, but they still only play in 50Hz and give the same distorted picture when I force it to NTSC using boot discs.

I'm just going to let it slide, play my original PAL copy, enjoy it, and get the HD port later on for my 360 when it's dirt cheap. I would have had the HD port long ago, but I want a physical copy of it, not paying a premium for some digital download.

Comment

Originally posted by Vixtro View Post
                Thanks for the replies guys, really, thought my thread was a bit obscure to be honest.

Cheers for the info Rombie, and I've actually already burned two different backups of the game that have been patched to boot up in 60Hz on PAL machines, but they still only play in 50Hz and give the same distorted picture when I force it to NTSC using boot discs.

I'm just going to let it slide, play my original PAL copy, enjoy it, and get the HD port later on for my 360 when it's dirt cheap. I would have had the HD port long ago, but I want a physical copy of it, not paying a premium for some digital download.
                Too bad you don't have a PS3. Its only $6.99 on PSN right now, with RE4 being only 5.99.
                Visit the Resident Evil 1.5 wiki and contribute to (Hopefully), a central zone for all 1.5 info.

Comment

DC-X works quite well for me. BH2VP, BHCV and BHCV Complete all run in 60 Hz on a PAL system with it. RE2 is the only PAL RE already running in 60 Hz, RE3 and RECV are sadly both in 50 Hz. It may have something to do with the European publisher : for RE2 it was Virgin, but for RE3 and RECV it was Eidos. That may also be the reason why RE2 did not include the special disc included in BH2VP.

Comment

My version of Resident Evil 3 PAL has a 60hz mode? Though my copy was published by Virgin?

That said, the DCX disc is cheap and brilliantly easy to use.
                    Last edited by [STARS]TyranT; 10-29-2013, 04:07 PM.
                    http://www.projectumbrella.net The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium
                    http://twitter.com/STARS_TyranT
                    Review and contributor for www.thexbutton.co.uk

Comment

You need a converter.

There is actually a box you can buy to convert the system to NTSC:: http://sewelldirect.com/mayflash-pal...FcYRMwod1B4A7w

I have one myself for a PAL Playstation 2. Works just fine.
                      Visit the Resident Evil 1.5 wiki and contribute to (Hopefully), a central zone for all 1.5 info.

Comment

Originally posted by VGBB View Post
                        You need a converter.

There is actually a box you can buy to convert the system to NTSC:: http://sewelldirect.com/mayflash-pal...FcYRMwod1B4A7w

I have one myself for a PAL Playstation 2. Works just fine.
                        That looks horrible, haven't played any of my systems in composite for years. I only use RGB SCART.

Comment

Ah RGB... I use it myself along with a X-RGB Mini.
                          My Head-Fi Page

Comment

Originally posted by Zombie_X View Post
                            Ah RGB... I use it myself along with a X-RGB Mini.
                            The Frameister, I still want one of those, but at around £250, it's rather pricey for me.

I settled for a cheaper alternative that basically uses a PC to capture the raw RGB 240p/288p signals.

This http://arcadeforge.net/Scaler-and-St...trike::15.html and this http://www.startech.com/AV/Converter...onent~PEXHDCAP. It works very nicely and allows me to record/stream as a bonus. Kudos to the clever chaps at http://www.shmups.com/ for finding such a solution.

Comment

Just use the Utopia Boot disk.

There, said, done!

Comment

Working...
                              X