Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bio2 Bio1.5 Mix

2018/06/04
    The source code to this project is now available.

MeganGrass/SLUS_007.48

2018/03/03
    This is a modification of Resident Evil 2 Dual Shock [SLUS-00748], rebuilt to run game data from Bio1/RE1, Bio1.5, Bio2/RE2, Bio3/RE3 and in some cases, all games on a single disc (depending on which version/patch available) and made possible through an elaborate series of R3000A assembly hacks. There isn't any exact order in which various games are supported, only a chaos of various tests meant to push the boundaries of the original engine.

This modification is still pointless, really. It was amusing to see how easily (in some cases) the engine could be bent, stretched and ultimately modified to do much more than originally intended, in addition to how similar each engine is to one another and the gradual progression between each (from Bio1-Bio3).

Updated versions and patch notes can be found here.

Restructured CD file structure allowing for:

4 different games (Bio1, Bio1.5, Bio2 and/or Bio3)
    7 stages per game
    48 rooms per stage
    16 cameras per room
    48 Doors per game
    48 MAIN BGM music files per game
    48 SUB BGM music files per game
    2 BGM music per room (1 MAIN, 1 SUB)
    16 player characters per game
    1 unique death sequence per player
    18 weapons per player
    79 enemies per game (rough estimate)
    256 Items per game
    24 Files per game
    1 Opening per game, using code overlay
    1 Ending per game, using code overlay
    1 ExBattle per game

Convenient debug menu with many features (event test, message test, room jump, etc)
    Quick-turn (from Bio3) was implemented
    Dual Shock controller support

TODO:

Reimplement XA (Voice Acting) and STR (Video) support
    Complete individual game runtime data conversion

2014/03/27 original post
    This is a modification of the Bio2 beta, rebuilt to run room data from Bio1.5. So far, only 11 rooms are imported. I just started this small project a couple weeks ago, and results were better than I expected... so, I'm going to whore my results.

This modification is pointless, really. It's just a test to see what's possible and I'm not sure if I'm going to take it any further than this.

The page you were looking for could not be found. You may have typed the address incorrectly or you may have used an outdated link.

COMPLETE:

The game uses English font (Rdt->Msg)
    Resident Evil 2 title screen and sound effect
    Several Bio1.5 rooms imported (11 total)
    All movie playback is disabled
    All checksum routines are disabled
    Debug Menu is updated to reflect the one from Bio1.5
    'Add Ammo/Count' debug option was increased from 1 to 7, using Triangle in Status Menu

TODO:

Update and fix collision data (*.sca) for a few rooms
    Update and fix floor data (*.flr)
    Update the starting point
    Remove the 'Player Select' screen
    Minor Camera Sprite data (*.pri) adjustment for a few rooms
    Import more Bio1.5 room data
    Populate the rooms with entities and puzzles
    Import and adjust EMD data and health/damage tables
    Import music data (*.bgm) from Bio1.5
    Update the 'ItemMix' tables for proper Bio1.5 support
    Numerous updates to script data (*.scd)
    Replace and update door data
    Last edited by MeganGrass; 06-04-2018, 08:12 PM.
    I'm a blackstar.

No words. It's just awesome. Thank you for your work!
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AleX_Red_07 View Post
      No words. It's just awesome. Thank you for your work!
      It is awesome. All we need is to have those issues Mark addressed fixed, have Leon's model replaced with 1.5's, replace enemies with those of 1.5, and this is what retail 1.5 may have felt like.

It seems like the 1.5 rooms look better in the beta 2 engine..
      My Head-Fi Page

Comment

Many thanks for the praise.

Originally posted by Zombie_X View Post
        It is awesome. All we need is to have those issues Mark addressed fixed, have Leon's model replaced with 1.5's, replace enemies with those of 1.5, and this is what retail 1.5 may have felt like.

It seems like the 1.5 rooms look better in the beta 2 engine..
        Those issues can be fixed relatively fast; they aren't major, at all. I have all the necessary assembly and tool-chains setup for rebuilding and testing new ISO builds. It really wouldn't take much work to fix those issues and import more data (likely, about a month, 2 months at most).

It works like this:

1 - Make manual adjustments to assembly (*.asm) and Room data (*sca, etc).

2 - Double-click my custom 'compile.bat' batch file, which rebuilds/compiles the necessary RDT data and scripts, makes adjustments to the executable and overlays via assembly, and builds the ISO.

3 - Approximately 33 seconds later, I have a working build.

The only problem is that I can't foresee very much interest in this project, considering IGAS' superior work. At best, this is a novelty item. If interest picks up, I may consider finishing, and possibly expanding this modification into something more complete.

As for the rooms looking better, it's possible, but I'm not sure about that either. I think that the Bio2 beta uses updated PSYQ libraries, but I don't see how that would make much of a difference.
        I'm a blackstar.

Comment

I think it'd be cool if you could make it so Leon B was Elza. If you decide to finish the project, please port over all the 1.5 rooms to RE2.
          My Head-Fi Page

Comment

UPDATE:

Collision data has been fixed for all rooms. The most noticeable example is ROOM11C, where the cutscene with Ada and the infected ape occurs.

Floor data has been fixed for all rooms. Audible footsteps can now be heard from both players and enemies.

The starting point has been updated - game begins at heliport (or, where ever I choose to change it to).

The "Player Selection" option/screen has been completely removed - automatic boot into game play.

Rooms have been populated with enemies (just proof of concept/goofing around) Example A much better understanding/disassembly of collision data will allow for those zombies to be shot through the shutter.

Both enemy health power and weapon damage tables have been altered to better reflect 1.5/reality. For example, zombie cops will take more damage due to wearing Kevlar. *Subject to change*

New music has been imported from various Bio games, including 1.5.

New Item-Mix proof of concept has been implemented. In other words, new items and mixtures, with corresponding inventory textures and descriptions.

Door data has been updated to better reflect the rooms. Some textures will have to be created from scratch, as few cannot be found to match.

The Title Screen has been completely rewritten from scratch. No spoilers, but there will be a new intro-type sequence, similar to retail Bio2, which provides a minor setup to events.

Enemies can now be shot with any weapon without the game freezing (decap with Shotgun or Magnum, etc.)

Bullet deflection has been implemented, again, thanks to a better understanding of collision data. For example, a spent shotgun or handgun round will bounce off walls, etc.

The player can now shoot enemies from across a long-table, etc., yet again, thanks to better understanding of collision data. For example, if a zombie is standing on the opposite side of an office table, the player will be able to auto/aim onto it and inflict damage.

I'm currently in the process of messing around with enemy AI, on an assembly level. Nothing to report yet, but I plan to alter AI to better reflect 1.5 and/or creative liberty.

The Status/Inventory menu is in the process of being completely rewritten (both assembly and texture changes). Not sure that I want to implement the 1.5 menu, but it is being considered.

FUTURE:

Implement more rooms from 1.5, obviously. I hadn't worked on this project for several months (since initial release), and progress just continued about two weeks ago. Thanks to a newly-developed tool I built and better understanding of all formats, this process is now a breeze.

I plan to port this into the Dual Shock version of Bio2. I have already completely disassembled the Dual Shock executable, which will allow the same implementations and updates I have included into the Bio2 beta. Other than the obvious benefit (vibration support), the Dual Shock executable will allow for many more updates and alteration to the engine to better fit both 1.5 and creative liberty.

I may need a texture artist for new doors, custom ideas and other necessities.

I will have a build uploaded sometime within the next few weeks/month.
            I'm a blackstar.

Comment

Awesome, this looks really interesting. Can't wait to try it out later this evening.
              sigpic
              "Must the State continue to exist once the question of labor and capital shall be practically solved? We reply in the negative. We are anarchists."

Comment

Progress continues...

I have imported room109 into the engine, which required a near-total recreation of the collision data from scratch.The main problem was that retail Bio2 and 1.5 handle "jump down from edge" action and detection much, much differently from one another, requiring implementation of this feature from scratch.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

IN-ACTION:

I have also imported ROOM116, the area leading to the heliport. Once again, both Bio2 and 1.5 handle going up/down stairs much, much differently, requiring yet another implementation from scratch.

IN-ACTION:
                I'm a blackstar.

Comment

Quite interesting =)
                  sigpic

Comment

That collison before and after thing is very strange. Why is that "jump Down from edge" so different from Bio2 to Bio1.5?
                    "What is it? - BLOOD!"

Comment

Wow, your project does not go out of my head.
                      I even worried.
                      I wish you the best of luck in development! =)
                      Last edited by AleX_Red_07; 08-20-2014, 08:45 AM.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by CraZyEddy2010 View Post
                        That collison before and after thing is very strange. Why is that "jump Down from edge" so different from Bio2 to Bio1.5?
                        I don't understand what you find to be strange about it.

Its really as simple of a matter as I had previously stated - the two games handle the field much differently from one another. They just aren't compatible with each other, for several reasons.

Because of that, I had to recreate the entire collision data for that room, and several others. It takes only 1/2-1 hour to accomplish per room (eg, a day's worth of actual hobby time)... and I dunno about you, but I'd much rather work with my OCD version than the vanilla crap that looks like a disaster and has multiple clones of the same data. Rebuilding collision data has many benefits, namely compatibility with the Bio2 engine, but is easier to work with should I need to add or alter something.

...which brings me to the next rdt that has been imported into the Bio2 engine:

Room10b, now with proper nFloor for the zombies on the street, and of course, reconstructed "jump from edge" detection for the roof of the RPD.

On a personal note, this isn't going to be your typical, cliche 5,000 zombies in a room modification - they're dime a dozen, and utterly boring/uninspired. For debugging, it's easier to use zombies, hence why only zombies are seen.
                        I'm a blackstar.

Comment

Good work Mark!

A question, what happen to the BIOFAT update? remember you send me a new version back in april (which is better that the release one)?

And also I ask you to add Bio2 Trial RDT support?

I remember I was waiting for it, but, time passed and I completely forgot about it, until now.

What I want to know is, there will be an update soon?

Thanks for your attention.

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Biohazard View Post
                            Good work Mark!

A question, what happen to the BIOFAT update? remember you send me a new version back in april (which is better that the release one)?

And also I ask you to add Bio2 Trial RDT support?

I remember I was waiting for it, but, time passed and I completely forgot about it, until now.

What I want to know is, there will be an update soon?

Thanks for your attention.
                            All the joy that comes with summer time, the unexpected death of a dear friend/depression, personal/intimate/social relationships, various improvements in coding, unspeakable private matters and fluctuating interest in the series happened, heh.

A new build of this port will be released within the next few weeks, which is probably more than I can say for the next biofat/herb. Progress continues on those, as well (For example, the pictures above give a very small glimpse of how collision support has improved)... what little hobby time I have has been recently focused on this project, however, and not just improving those apps. Two birds, ya know?

Sit tight, they haven't been abandoned.
                            I'm a blackstar.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkGrass View Post
                              All the joy that comes with summer time, the unexpected death of a dear friend/depression, personal/intimate/social relationships, various improvements in coding, unspeakable private matters and fluctuating interest in the series happened, heh.
                              Oh I see, sorry to hear that dude, really.

Originally posted by MarkGrass View Post
                              A new build of this port will be released within the next few weeks, which is probably more than I can say for the next biofat/herb. Progress continues on those, as well (For example, the pictures above give a very small glimpse of how collision support has improved)... what little hobby time I have has been recently focused on this project, however, and not just improving those apps. Two birds, ya know?

Sit tight, they haven't been abandoned.
                              Interesting, so I will be waiting for it.

Yeah I notice you have improved a lot BioHerb, that is great!

Let me tell you that, when you release a new version of BIOFAT (with support for Bio2 Trial RDTs), I will back to work in Bio2 Trial, since now I'm able to rebuild it completely, I want to fix/improve a lot of things I I left in the past. ;)

Anyway, I hope all the problems you have, be resolved soon.

Greetings and see you.

Comment

Working...
                              X