Resident Evil 1 World Record

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resident Evil 1 World Record

I was looking on Twingalaxies and saw that the previous record (59:57 or something) had been broken, the new record is 59:17. This is with Chris on standard mode of RE DC Dual Shock (on a PS2 I think) with the rocket launcher (also using the start button quick recoil "bug"). Anyone here think they could break this? It would be nice for a THIA member to have this record heh.

You can download the run here: http://www.archive.org/details/ResidentEvil_DC_Speedrun

It was only put online on May 21st 2007 so you might not have seen it. Make sure you use a download manager as you'll need to resume from that server a lot

I wouldnt really trust speed runs now-a-days. Not with save states and all, it just is too easy to fake today. It would be nice to find the best path to a speedrun for the site but beyond that you'd be constantly trying to "defend" your "title". A hassle really
    Last edited by Dot50Cal; 07-30-2007, 09:18 PM.

Comment

But isn't the Twingalaxies verification process quite good? Looks trustworthy to me. It's not like some guy just posted it on YouTube, it took a few months for verification first.

Comment

yeah, that's what I've heard too. Twingalaxies is pretty trustworthy. But hey don't take my word for it.

Comment

All the entries are on VHS tapes, which would make it difficult to manipulate right, well not difficult, just it would look very noticable if they did try, right? So if they show the booting sequence without an action replay it could be seen as quite real but I believe that's not the only verification process... They must also study the entire video while timing it. Someone could probably cheat though by modifying the actual game (and backing it up obviously), like a tiny code that alters an enemy's position slightly so you can shave some seconds off the time. Real sneaky

Comment

I did make a crap guide for Jill XD I have a video at 1:20, though I messed up quite a bit so theres a lot of room for improvement. I took a lot of time to do too, I have all the content ready for uploading but its using too many of the old sites design for it to be useful now.

But I'll probably be playing through the game a lot of times for the site anyway, its only natural to figure out the fastest way to beat the game and document it.

Maybe someone here can answer this, do you run faster with nothing equipped or is that just my imagination?
            Last edited by Dot50Cal; 07-30-2007, 10:34 PM.

Comment

1:20 for Jill isn't too bad I guess. The cut-scenes are longer for her scenario than Chris'.

Comment

I bet on the DS, you could get pretty awesome times since you can skip scenes and door loading sequences...

Comment

I think the person must have used shark codes that makes the difficulty easier or make the winning time to 0:00 59 mins before he won Bio1 on that game play record.

or also, click start to skip all CG movies if click start can stop that movie to play on.

Comment

I haven't checked, but there is a clear difference between them playing Resident Evil and them playing Biohazard. Speed runs and runs with just the knife are far easier on the default difficulty if you're playing the Japanese edition, and sub hour runs are an extremely easier prospect than playing the US or European versions.

Dot - As far as I know there isn't any difference in speed, but I can't confirm it. If I still had some of the modding guys around from the DL's Sanctuary they'd be able to confirm the animation runtimes for me.

TG is fairly strict on monitoring illegitimate entries, but I've gone off the concept of them since reading the story (and waiting to see the doco) about Billy Mitchell and Steve Wiebe's DK battle and TG's underhanded tactics related to it.
                    Last edited by Rombie; 07-31-2007, 04:18 AM.

Comment

What underhanded tactics were they? Or is it too long a story to tell here..

Comment

I'll try and sum it up as best I can.

Mitchell was labeled "the ulitimate gamer of the last century" by like Time after his numerous still standing records of late 70's and early 80's arcade hits. He's a rich boy (son of a major hot sauce creator and currently owns the company), very arrogant, big talker, and comes off looking like a very sore loser in the movie apparently.

Wiebe on the other hand appears to be the yang to his ying. Reltively poor, downtrodden, and constantly losing at most things he tries at - cries a lot, not very outspoken. Wiebe lost his previous job and ended up playing Donkey Kong instead. Sounds like an amazing novel almost, except it's real.

Anyway.... Wiebe taped himself breaking Mitchell's most recent record of Donkey Kong after spending weeks playing the game on an old cabnet he'd put in his garage. He'd been taping it to improve and basically caught this "perfect game" on video. Submitted it to TG who questioned it. Problem according to the people making the film is Mitchell is on the board of the site collectors, and the place is run by quite a few people who claim to be bunch of his fan boys basically who weren't going to let their masters record even be questioned. Their side is that they really felt uncertain if this board was real or not because it was in some guys garage.

In the end some members of TG who lived in the same area as Steve Wiebe, apparently instructed by people higher up at TG, just invited themselves into his house and garage and dismanted his Donkey Kong machine, then afterwards said the record wasn't broken because the machine wasn't original. This part is in dispute... people did come in that is true, but how the gained access isn't clear and what they did isn't clear either other than taking out the board to take a look.

Yes... it doesn't seem that clear cut... then they find Wiebe got this cabnet from is from a guy called Roy Shildt, who is outspokenly against TG... so it becomes very suspect as to how legit the cabnet might actually be. Maybe the boards been played with changing speed, jump height or so forth - even if Wiebe doesn't know about it. Will a rematch happen? Hmmm....

I'm not sure how the movie continues to approach the rest of this, but I know what's happened since. After numerous debate and the eventual movie being worked on, TG eventually decided that Wiebe's score could stand, and added it on March 23rd this year (Mitchell's most recent score was 1,047,200, Wiebe's was 1,049,100). There is debate after if Mitchell then passed the score again, but considering it seems the machine he used was possibly not legit, they posted and quickly removed his score that time...

But in the end, even with Wiebe's new score however - Mitchell apparently repassed his old score and Wiebe's officially during this July with an Nintendo authenticated DK board running a new score of 1,050,200. He also announced a prize of $10,000USD to the person who can beat his score at the Classic Gaming Expo which happened just last weekend. Doesn't appear it has happened though... but the competition isn't over yet it appears.

The movie's been getting good comments and comes out later this month (August) in the US, apparently it's more than about competitive gaming and a bunch of "he says-he says" and more about general competition (the guys are so exact parallel opposites that it works on this general level).

Comment

Thanks for the enlightenment on the subject. didn't know about all this heat going on about old school games. I do remember seeing some show about Mitchell a while back when I had the flu so I don't remember what channel it was.

Comment

Heh thanks for that, I did a quick one second search on Google at work earlier but gave up quickly hence why I asked. I saw the news headline about the record being broken again and didn't think much of it until now. It seems fair enough to question the legitimacy of the video, especially as he was just trying to improve. I'll try check out the movie if I can

Comment

Alright that would be tight if you did. Hey I didn't notice, I'm considered a cockroach on these boards lol.

Comment

Working...
                              X