Steam Community Beta Launched

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam Community Beta Launched

Valve has just launched a really cool feature set for Steam which seems to greatly reduce the need for Windows Live. If you are someone who uses Steam then you need to get in on this.

Open Steam up and go to your settings, then Click on the Beta Participation "CHANGE" button and get in the Steam Community! Its pretty awesome.

You can now add third party games to steam and launch them from there. You may be asking why you would want to do this, well when you do Steam Community hooks into the game and allows you to hotkey (Shift+Tab) and bring up your steam community list. This includes chat, voice chat, and a number of other awesome features.

Another cool feature is the ability to join into games people are playing with one click of their profile, be notified when people go into a game, etc. Theres also groups which make it easier to categorize your friends and even enter the groups dedicated chat room.

In short GET IT if you dont. I've added a THIA group - http://steamcommunity.com/groups/the-horror so if you play games using Steam add yourself to it. If we get enough people I can setup play events that will notify everyone. So yeah what are you waiting for?
    Last edited by Dot50Cal; 08-07-2007, 11:53 AM.

So yeah what are you waiting for?
    a very fast internet connection

Comment

i still don't get it....is it a forum with built in games and msn or somthing

Comment

Yeah, and PC gaming kind of sucks...

Comment

Originally posted by Dot50Cal View Post
          Valve has just launched a really cool feature set for Steam which seems to greatly reduce the need for Windows Live. If you are someone who uses Steam then you need to get in on this.

Open Steam up and go to your settings, then Click on the Beta Participation "CHANGE" button and get in the Steam Community! Its pretty awesome.

You can now add third party games to steam and launch them from there. You may be asking why you would want to do this, well when you do Steam Community hooks into the game and allows you to hotkey (Shift+Tab) and bring up your steam community list. This includes chat, voice chat, and a number of other awesome features.

Another cool feature is the ability to join into games people are playing with one click of their profile, be notified when people go into a game, etc. Theres also groups which make it easier to categorize your friends and even enter the groups dedicated chat room.

In short GET IT if you dont. I've added a THIA group - http://steamcommunity.com/groups/the-horror so if you play games using Steam add yourself to it. If we get enough people I can setup play events that will notify everyone. So yeah what are you waiting for?
          The nets usually slow for the next hour but i'll add it when its up to spec again, need to buy more games, but got CS Source, Deathmatch, and a few other games at any rate.

Comment

i used to play cs source with my ex, we had counterstrike dates... lol i thought i was cute dressing my soldier man in the white artic outfit when we were actually in the dessert. he killed me plenty of times though but i liked running after him best place is going up to the airplane part lol what's wrong with those people in there

i miss counterstrike i got rid of it because i was using someone's account and it took up a lot on my old computer, i think you have to pay for it right?

Comment

Invite me...apparently you cant just join. borman18 is my community thing, tncecil my steam
              Last edited by Borman; 08-07-2007, 11:29 PM.

Comment

Sounds cool. I remember when Steam was first released and you could play a new beta version of Counter-Strike on it and there were so many problems. Especially with my sucky OS at the time "Windows ME" (nooo). So I used to hate it, but it's turned good over time. My steam ID is low digits, i iz da c00l d00d.

Comment

So basically this is Steam's answer to an Xbox Live service?

Comment

If theres invites etc, my Steam name is WrathofVermillion , I use "SpaceODIN" when in games etc though

Comment

Originally posted by SinValentine View Post
                      i miss counterstrike i got rid of it because i was using someone's account and it took up a lot on my old computer, i think you have to pay for it right?
                      Yeah, but with steam individual games are dirt cheap, especially old ones like CS.

Originally posted by Borman View Post
                      Invite me...apparently you cant just join. borman18 is my community thing, tncecil my steam
                      Lies, go into your Steam client and change your beta participation to the Community Beta in Settings.

Originally posted by Nemesis556 View Post
                      So basically this is Steam's answer to an Xbox Live service?
                      Seems to be, but I would say more against Windows Live.

Comment

Not to the Beta, to the group

Comment

A group for members of The Horror Is Alive - http://www.the-horror.com The Horror Is Alive

Just hit join this group when you are logged in, its an open group so anyone can join. Though it might be their servers having issues at the moment.

Comment

I still cant get it to join

Comment

Link me to your profile page because borman18 and tncecil both are not working. Dude, yours arent either.

I guess I wasnt clear. You need to enroll in this beta via steam after you make your profile on the webpage. When you finish your ID link me and then add yourself to the beta in your steam client settings.
                              Last edited by Dot50Cal; 08-08-2007, 09:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X