Resident Evil 1 Classic REbirth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resident Evil 1 Classic REbirth

I guess it's time I make a post over here, it seems the right place to release this new fix. It's pretty much a plug & play kind of fix to the game, currently compatible with the 1.01 Japanese version (aka Mediakite print). If you wanna read some more about this, head over here: http://appleofeden.de-doc.com/index....assic-version/

Here goes features:
    • Removes the need for Win95/98 compatibility mode to even boot, making the game compatible with Win7 and later. This collaterally fixes CPU0 100% spikes.
    • Fixes frame rate for good. You will get 30 fps in most 3D sections while 60 fps in the rest, like it’s intended to.
    • Effectively makes the game installation-portable (i.e. no need to install it) due to the removal of Registry operations (replaced with an INI configuration file).
    • Removes legacy joypad support and replaces it with XInput, DirectInput, and RawInput. This means that you can use an XBox 360/ONE pad and take advantage of all common buttons, including shoulder triggers, or literally any other controller.
    • Allows to boot the game without the need for a physical CD-ROM drive.
    • Allows the game to load videos from the installed directory, instead of always checking for data on CD-ROM.
    • Adds new windowed resolutions. New resolutions are 320×240 and multiples, up to 2160×1440 (fullscreen if any resolution is below that). You can cycle through them in game by pressing F8.
    • Fixes in-game timer when entering the Status screen.
    • Replaces the Windows MultiMedia video player (winmm.dll, module MCI) with a new one based on ffmpeg and fanplayer.

Some footage of how the game runs with the DLL applied:
    Last edited by Gemini; 05-30-2020, 01:21 PM.

Resident Evil: Behind the Mask twitter
    , also in Facebookian flavor for great justice.

Can include the censor switch too that makes blood green like the german version?

Comment

Quick status update: dfactor made a full longplay session of the game to check if the software renderer was stable or not. Turns out it crashes after 2 straight hours of gameplay at some point in the courtyard, which corresponds to what speedrunners mentioned to me when I asked for their playtest assistance.
      I think I may have found the exact place in the code where said crash happens, that is located in a function used to process polygon lists (i.e. part of the rendering chain and possibly a branch path of the software renderer). In other words a complete rewrite of the stupid driver is mandatory and will have to be carefully crafted in order to make the game fully stable, unless some other random issue raises (nothing indicates that there are additional issues, but you never know with this ancient port). While this rewrite will prove to be a gigantic task to tackle, it will catch two birds with one stone: better visuals and stability.
      Stay tuned for news on this specific issue.

Originally posted by Mikhail View Post
      Can include the censor switch too that makes blood green like the german version?
      If it's just a flag that alters the code to produce green blood, sure, otherwise I'm not sure, it might be a lot more work that I'm doing right now. IIRC RE2 has something very similar to this that makes blood turn white whenever a flag is set to 1, but it's never redefined by anything so it's basically an unused feature in the PC version.

Comment

Originally posted by Gemini View Post
        Quick status update: dfactor made a full longplay session of the game to check if the software renderer was stable or not. Turns out it crashes after 2 straight hours of gameplay at some point in the courtyard, which corresponds to what speedrunners mentioned to me when I asked for their playtest assistance.
        I think I may have found the exact place in the code where said crash happens, that is located in a function used to process polygon lists (i.e. part of the rendering chain and possibly a branch path of the software renderer). In other words a complete rewrite of the stupid driver is mandatory and will have to be carefully crafted in order to make the game fully stable, unless some other random issue raises (nothing indicates that there are additional issues, but you never know with this ancient port). While this rewrite will prove to be a gigantic task to tackle, it will catch two birds with one stone: better visuals and stability.
        Stay tuned for news on this specific issue.

If it's just a flag that alters the code to produce green blood, sure, otherwise I'm not sure, it might be a lot more work that I'm doing right now. IIRC RE2 has something very similar to this that makes blood turn white whenever a flag is set to 1, but it's never redefined by anything so it's basically an unused feature in the PC version.
        Yeah i've mentioned it before, I can't remember if it's in both the retail and demo though, I posted various EXE's
        along with cheat engine tables for save anywhere codes on https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/resi...f5c4389524d30c but that was years ago now.

Comment

General instability seems to be an issue with software mode, which pretty much breaks due to a stack failure (no idea how to fix it yet). Still, it seems like hardware mode can be fixed and made usable if I figure out what tests DXGL fails during initialization (got to a part where it does texture tests, fails there now); I mean, after all the game seems to run kinda decently with the default Microsoft emulator.

Meanwhile the DLL has been updated and needs no more configuration of the path, just drop it along the exe and you're done. Download at the same link as before.
          Last edited by Gemini; 07-08-2018, 03:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X