Resident Evil - GameBoy Color

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resident Evil - GameBoy Color

NOTE: If you have slow internet (under 56k dial-up; rare but possible), then press the stop button on your browser to stop the loading of pictures. With broadband, you'll be fine. With 56k, all the pictures will take a minute or two to fully load. I know this for a fact; I'm stuck with the latter If you really want to know, there's just under two megabytes of pictures here.

I'm really interested in the subject of this unfinished game, so I've started a topic to provide everything I can on the subject of it. I have a few videos and pictures, and will be happy to share them, once I get them uploaded. Speculation and chat is also welcome here.

If anyone has any extra info or media on the game, please, post it here, and I'll add it to the main archive of mine.

Statistics:

43 Pictures (Picture Pack also included)
    6 Videos (Video Pack also included)

1 new picture added!
    2 new videos added!

Plot:

The game would basically have been a (fantastic) exact port of the original Resident Evil, for the GameBoy Color. It was scrapped near the end of production (this is evident by the fact that when we see the videos, most of the locations are present). People have given many reasons, including:

- Capcom wasn't happy with the quality of the project, and found it wasn't scary enough.
    - The cartridge wasn't big enough to fit all of the details on. (Points that bring up some controversy over this are discussed below.)
    - Capcom wouldn't pay the developers (HotGen Studios) enough, so they quit, and Capcom found someone else to do a Resident Evil on GameBoy Color (which became Gaiden). (Although, looking at the evidence we've got, the game was very near completion before cancellation; if this reason was true, cancellation would have occured before production, wouldn't it?)
    - The team making Resident Evil for GameBoy Color eventually decided that making such a hi-fi game on a lo-fi console would do the series injustice.

While these could all be true (I'd really loathe Capcom if the last one was correct), nobody knows which one is actually the prominent killer. But couldn't they have at least made a dump available for the public before throwing the whole project into the garbage can? Actually, now that I think of it, they probably did. At least two people in this world own the RE GBC: Dot50Cal, and the person he bought it from (probably an inside source from Capcom or HotGen Studios). If you say that the seller just gave the whole thing away without making a copy of it, I pity you. Nobody in their right mind would just give away something so rare without making sure they had it too. And the fact that Dot50Cal is meant to have payed a couple of grand for it, says something about how difficult it is to get.

But anyway, the last bullet-point on the cancellation reasons list seems to be the most popular one though, because according to a source inside Capcom, the company said: "We don't believe in needless milking of franchises." When RE GBC was cancelled, the obsession with porting 32-bit games to 8-bit consoles was starting to go downhill, and more people were beginning to look at it like it was unnecessary. Also, it seems to be the most reasonable explanation. But what a stupid move, if it's true! According to lots of people on this forum, they were really looking forward to playing this game.

I've also heard rumors from confused people that this Resident Evil would have been for GameBoy Advance. No, it wasn't. Check out the quality of the Resident Evil GBC video, and then look at the RE2 Tech Demo. If Capcom wanted to make RE for GBA, the graphics would have been a lot better. Besides, in a RE GBC video (Video 1, available below), we see someone playing the game on an actual GameBoy Color.

According to TheSelfishGene, a magazine he read stated that RE GBC was going to be released in Fall, 1999. So that would have been around September to November. A scan of the magazine page (thanks, TSG's brother!):

In the available videos, the death animation for zombies is falling to their knees. I don't think this would be the case if the game was to be released, as I reckon that the animation was incomplete. They would have fallen to their knees, then lay on the ground. Other incompletes are the dining room (there's no table) and the tiger gems room (there's no tiger pedestal).

A good feature this GBC port would have had, is the ablility to save your game on the cartridge. Precious few GBC games incorporated this feature, leaving passwords and codes as the only option if you wanted to resume your game. I've also heard that you could save your game anywhere, anytime, but then what would have been the use of putting the typewriters in the game again? (We can see one in screenshots of the front hall, among other places.)

A website I've seen says that HotGen Studios had created a new compression method that would have solved a lot of problems when trying to cram all those details into the little cartridge. Further more, the compression was so good they were able to insert new enemies into the game (one possibly being the 'Tick' enemy seen on the Sega Saturn version of Resident Evil. It was a basically just a blue, more powerful Hunter).

One of the biggest things about this game that people won't stop carrying on about is the way the characters look. Hey, if you can do better on an 8-bit console, then do it and send it to me.

I found an advertisment for the game, that says that it's "also on GameBoy Color" (this was apparently from the back of an instruction booklet for a GBC Street Fighter game; also by Capcom), so this must mean that the game was close to, or already at completion (with just bug testing left to do).

This speculation is further supported by the fact that TheSelfishGene's brother's scan (see above for details) says that the game was already on GBC. Finding out why Capcom cancelled the game is becoming very deep waters, indeed.

In some of the pictures, you can see zombies in the safe-rooms and the front hall. Looks like the zombies wanted some extra room in the GBC version, and safe places aren't so safe anymore!

In the picture of Forest's balcony, Forest's body isn't there. My guess is that Nintendo, being the happy-shiny company that it is, removed the body to prevent excessive gore. On the other hand, they let GTA: Advance onto their GameBoy Advance, and that contained a few swear words ("shit" was rare, but it was there) and a heap of violence, not to mention lots of sexual references (the main character actually gets some action from one of his bosses, Asuka, the Mafia boss).

Off-Topic:

I saw one of Dot50Cal's exclusive video topics, and saw his argument with JakeyFace. And as much as I'm gonna get flamed for it, I'm actually on Jakey's side. Dot50Cal, I don't expect you to release it, but could you at least tell us why in English, and not spy? Using code words (you know what I'm talking about) doesn't really make me think positive things about your possessions and opinions. I'm not saying you stole the game, if that's the impression you're getting. I'm saying that without a proper reason not to release the game, you don't have a very good argument, and some of my friends think that you're a bit stuck up for it. Note that I don't think this at all. I'm sure you have a very good reason. I've gathered that it cost a lot of money, and you got it from and inside source, which couldn't be legal. But this is just what I've pieced together from your posts. So in short, clear, and plain English, could you please explain why you haven't released it. That's my two cents, thank you for reading.

Pictures:

Picture Pack (Contains all 43 pictures!)

Videos:

Video Pack (Contains all 6 videos!)

Video 1
    Video 2
    Video 3
    Video 4
    Video 5
    Video 6

In most of the videos, you can see numbers and stuff around the bottom of the screen. This is probably debug information.

More coming soon!
    Last edited by Helegad; 11-30-2007, 10:22 PM. Reason: More Information

i've seen videos on you tube on this game and to be honest i'd buy it
    i love the way the zombiles when killed just fall to their knees instead of flat on the floor.
    I don't know the reason why they decided to scrap this perfect (at the time when we were all playing G.B.C) game when i'm sure ppl would of bought it. I bet most people bought M.G.S on the game boy colour, so i'm sure the name Resident Evil would of sold loads aswell.
    I guess it's just like Man Hunt 2 and Resident Evil 3.5, it's always the good games that never make it

Comment

I'm interested in the idea of RE2 on the GBA.
      But it was just a tech demo.

Comment

I have an old magazine I picked up when I was in the US in July 1999 which has an ad saying it's coming fall (so sept oct nov?)
        sigpic

Comment

yea I had found RE1 for the GBC in a gaming magazine...well they remade it on DS anyways so no need to complain. And they did Gaiden...so thats gotta tell you something. but RE2 would have been cool on GBA, any links to this tech demo video???
          Last edited by Stars_g36; 10-12-2007, 11:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Stars_g36 View Post
            yea I had found RE1 for the GBC in a gaming magazine...well they remade it on DS anyways so no need to complain. And they did Gaiden...so thats gotta tell you something. but RE2 would have been cool on GBA, any links to this tech demo video???
            Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

This obviously not how the final version would be.

Comment

that R.E 2 on GBC looked gr8 tho, for that console. WHY WASN'T IT IN MY GAME SHOP FOR ME TO BUY

Comment

they cut out so much stuff for the GBA ahaha wonder if any simulators came out for it...

Comment

Because the RE2 Tech Demo, was just that. A way to prove that RE2 on GBA is certainely possible. One cartridge for Leon's scenarios and one cartridge for Claire's would have been enough. Pity the people that made the demo didn't finish the game, though. They would have been so popular...

Comment

I do agree...oh well...

Comment

I really want RE2 on the DS. And I think it'd be cool if they made RE1.5 and released it.

Comment

if they did re2 on the DS, I'd be all over it... uh huh

Comment

if they did re3 on the ds, i'd be all over it from the start

Comment

uhh oh...if capcom did that, they would sell so many copies...if you think about it, it proob cost 50 cents to make a single copy and 30$ a pop is profit and plus they should have the games format and ect along with adding extra's and stuff, it would be a smart thing cause Id buy all of them and play them all.

Comment

I wouldn't even care if they finished RE 1.5, I just want to play whatever they had made so far. They were around 85% complete.

Comment

Working...
                              X