Outbreak Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outbreak Question

Alright, basically I'm interested in picking both the Outbreak games up. This is entirely due to two facts.

1 - They're cheap.

2 - I'm loaded.

Normally, I don't get games unless I really, really want them and I've heard enough about Outbreak 1 and 2 to know they're closers to Survivor than to RE2. However, I've also heard enough to be intruiged. There is one point turning me off...the Online play thing.

No, I don't wanna do it. I wanna know how much of the content of the games I'll be missing without it. See, I've heard tell that File # 1 can't be played online in Europe at all, and File # 2 has lost it servers now as well. So...how much am I missing out on?

You play the missions with AI controlled parter characters. You have 2, and can unlock solo mode. Online you can have 3 partners, so a party of 4. It doesnt make a huge difference.

I played #2 onine (Australian on the european servers. So REALLY late at night. On uni holidays or after I'd come home from the pub really late). The AIPCs are a bit daft, but alot of online players hog the items, and leave you for dead. It was really hard to communicate online.

They are definately challenging games on the harder difficulties. They aren't reall big on the scares however.

As for story, they generally can't be considered canon, so you're not missing much there.

If you have a short attention span, you might not like it because the load times can be huge, even between normal rooms.
    sigpic

Comment

There are certain routes and even endings you could only get by playing online. As far as I'm aware the one I recall is in End of the Road offline you cannot avoid being flushed away in the Sewer, you can still take some others like the tower out of Under Belly though. The ending that springs to mind for me is in FlashBack on File 2 where if you wait at the starting area until someone else began killing the plant in the Hospital the bridge in the forest collapsed and you had to find an alt. route out of the forest meeting and helping a woman and her daughter along the way (very brief and easy) skipping the entire level essentially. Although it should be noted that you only got certain cutscenes offline again Flashback being the one I remember most . . .

What was your SN "SelfishGene"? Just curious cause I was always on File 2 at stupid times so I might've met you . . .
      sigpic

Comment

i was thinking of buying file 2, but only for online because i've got it sorted with my playstation now and lost out because i live in europe for internet play on file 1. So is file 2 not online anymore?

Comment

I have both the games and the only problen in my view is how is how you just can't pause the game to select iteams or weapons from your menu. In a way I like it because it shows how fast pace it is... But after awhile it got to ticking me off!!

Comment

I don't have online capabilities for my PS2, but I got an Outbreak game anyway. The first player mode is severely castrated; your AI partners do more harm than good, hording items and running around wherever they feel like. At one point, I was looking for a key item for half an hour only to find that one of my idiot partners had taken it.

You also can’t get them to help you with anything, so any type of situation that requires more than one person is impossible. I’m glad I got the game for like, $10, because it was hardly worth that. Aside from that fact, the enemies are incredibly uninspired, the control is terrible (it feels like you’re driving a truck with each character), and the small variety of mission scenarios doesn’t paint the picture of survival that the game should.

Comment

Originally posted by Nikovich View Post
              your partners do more harm than good, hording items and running around wherever they feel like. At one point, I was looking for a key item for half an hour only to find that one of my idiot partners had taken it.
              Thats how people would act in real life
              Last edited by BLSR1; 10-12-2007, 09:08 PM.

Comment

I've only ever played the Outbreaks offline. They were games I kinda had to 'learn to like'. I actually find the computer controlled companions to be quite fun. Yes, they are often stupid but they are amusing and they do help out at times, especially if you're nice to them. It's funny crawling along the ground and calling "help me" and having one of them show up and get you on your feet. They all have their own little personalities.
                Firstly, I found the games unplayable without the HDD. Those loading times were just too painful. Putting a HDD in my ps2 was one of the best things I ever did. Lots of other games are HEAPS faster once put on the HDD too. Loading times are either greatly reduced or disappear completely.
                I don't like the way the game dosn't pause when you enter your inventory but I guess it was necessary for online play. I also don't like the re-spawning zombies but again, I think they did this so that when playing online, multiple players would have things to shoot and not enter lots of empty rooms.
                I don't like the virus meter. I like to play (particularly at first) at my own pace, explore the environments and enjoy the scenery. The virus meter makes it a constant race to finish the objectives. At first I hated having to run around not knowing what I was supposed to be doing and getting frustrated. But once I had learned where to go and what to do I was able to start enjoying each scenario.
                I like both Outbreak games now but I understand perfectly why so many people HATE them.

Comment

Well, I've got them now. I bought them and Dead Aim, plus another game, in a four for £20 deal. I'm not unduly worried about things I can't do because I don't have another person playing. If it's unlockables I can always find the description online. I have heard there are some unlockables I won't be getting, but eh. Whole chunks of a scenario I can't do is a bit more of a kicker. But again, I can probably YouTube them. It seems if there's the sligthest demand for something it'll be on YouTube.

Comment

Whole chunks of a scenario I can't do is a bit more of a kicker.
                    Don't worry, I believe this info is wrong. The only thing you can't do offline is play briefly as a zombie when you die. The computer controlled companions do everything they need to, you don't need a 'real person' to do anything.
                    There are certain routes and even endings you could only get by playing online. As far as I'm aware the one I recall is in End of the Road offline you cannot avoid being flushed away in the Sewer, you can still take some others like the tower out of Under Belly though. The ending that springs to mind for me is in FlashBack on File 2 where if you wait at the starting area until someone else began killing the plant in the Hospital the bridge in the forest collapsed and you had to find an alt. route out of the forest meeting and helping a woman and her daughter along the way (very brief and easy) skipping the entire level essentially.
                    You have to stop the Tyrant before approaching Linda in the water treatment plant or you get flushed and have to continue from the tunnel. It's just an alternate route, not exclusive to online.
                    The bridge collapses after someone kills the plant or simply wait 10 minutes and the bridge collapses anyway. So, just hang around and don't cross the bridge. It collapses, then you can do the mini mission and alternate route.
                    You can do everything and see everything and get 100% completion, all offline (as far as I know).

Comment

CAN I PLAY FILE 2 ONLINE PPL :O

Comment

And then there is the saving games problem. I have only played the Outbreaks offline too. It's a real pain in the ass to try and save a game.

Comment

Originally posted by Skunky View Post
                          I don't like the virus meter. I like to play (particularly at first) at my own pace, explore the environments and enjoy the scenery.

I forgot to mention this too. While it's an interesting addition, I think the way in which it was implemented could have been a lot better.

Originally posted by BLSR1 View Post
                          Thats how people would act in real life

No, no it's not.

If you're with a group of people, they're not going to run from one little thing on the ground to the next thing, picking it up and replacing it with something else they were carrying. You're not going to have a person run over and say "Oh, key! Mine!" Then run over to a STICK and say "Oh! Mine too! Wait, it doesn't fit in my pocket? Stick or key? Hmm, STICK! Ohh! A Rock! Bye bye stick!"

They're like raccoons with the items.
                          Last edited by Nikovich; 10-13-2007, 09:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nikovich View Post

No, no it's not.

If you're with a group of people, they're not going to run from one little thing on the ground to the next thing, picking it up and replacing it with something else they were carrying. You're not going to have a person run over and say "Oh, key! Mine!" Then run over to a STICK and say "Oh! Mine too! Wait, it doesn't fit in my pocket? Stick or key? Hmm, STICK! Ohh! A Rock! Bye bye stick!"

They're like raccoons with the items.
                            No. I know The AI in outbreak is not the same as real life.

But what you SAID is how people would act. Do you think I'm stupid?

Comment

He was just making a point. I agree that in away the people act like real life, and in a big way they act like those animals on that Over The Hedge movie, with grabbing things up to store for winter. I guess it all depends on people, places, and times. All we can do is imagen what "we" personally would do.

Comment

Working...
                              X