RE3 Attack Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RE3 Attack Questions

A long time ago, I wrote an RE3 combat guide which I believe I posted here (not HERE exactly, but THIA). It wasn’t on GameFAQs since I didn’t know about that site at the time… it’s since been lost to dying zip disks, reformats, and sites going down, which still makes me pretty upset; I put a lot of work into that guide. When writing it, I played around heavily with the enemy AI, trying to determine every attack they had, how much damage it did, how hard it was to break out of, how to avoid it, and how to counter it.

Enemy AI has always fascinated me (especially now that I can’t figure out how to program the enemies in my game), and specifically, the thing that I always loved about RE enemies was their tendency to have grab attacks. This also was my major gripe with the SH enemies throughout the series. To me, when something has you pinned down, trying to bite a hole in your face while you’re frantically trying to pry its jaws from you, that really brings out the panic that “Survival Horror” should cause. No matter how freakish your enemies are, if their only attack is slowly lumbering towards you, coming to a stop, and flailing one of its skinny arms at you (or poking you with a mannequin foot, seriously what the fuck is up with that), there’s really nothing to be afraid of. It’s like those monsters in that old sci-fi movie which I can’t remember much of. I think it might have been a Stephen King movie, it had these lizard/fish zombies called something like skizniaks…, some old guy controlled them (someone help me out). Anyway, my point is that they were all scary and threatening, but they never did anything more than lumber and hiss.

Okay, end tangent. My main point is, I had been reading some RE3 guides recently for the fun of it, and I noticed a number of them stating that the Grave Digger had some kind of grab attack, which I have never seen. Of course, it was a lot easier to mess around with the AI for the regular enemies, since they inflicted significantly less damage than the bosses, and as such, I couldn’t do too much experimenting with the Grave Digger. Mind you, this was before the age of emulation and save states (at least for me). So like I was saying, there have been times I’ve tried to fully explore the entire set of animations and attacks for enemies, only to accidentally see something which I had never seen before a bit later. So, can anyone confirm seeing some kind of grabbing bite attack from either the Grave Digger of the final form of Nemesis?
    Last edited by Nikovich; 10-14-2007, 01:09 PM.

When fighting the Grave Digger underground, it dosn't really grab you but instead pushes you backwards and hits you 2 or 3 times in the process. I'm not certain but I think I remember getting grabbed by it once when fighting it later above ground.
    I can't remember ever getting grabbed by the final form of the Nemesis. It's knocked me onto my ass a few times though...
    Last edited by Skunky; 10-15-2007, 03:43 AM.

Comment

Doesn't final form nemesis grab you, put you on his back spines and GG you? I'm, pretty sure it's his instant kill if you are in yellow caution or below. Might be orange caution. Maybe someone else or a guide can confirm
      sigpic

Comment

I know the final form has an attack where if you're standing behind him, he rears back and "bites" you with the spines on his back, though it's simply a very strong physical strike and not an actual grab.

The problem with the guides is that, some of them mention these attacks, others do not, which is the whole source of this ambiguity to begin with.

And ‘GG’?

Comment

Ive been swolled whole by the Grave Digger if thats what you mean...ahahaha just for the hell of it though...

Comment

How did you manage that? I finally got back to the second boss fight in my emulator today and I've been messing around for 20 minutes. All I ever see it do is the rising up from a distance, crawling at you, rising up, biting, and then the one where it darts up near you, bites, then retreats quickly. No grab attack, no eating whole, nothing but bites.

Comment

I dunno what your doing wrong or doing right...but it was when i was in danger mode it came up while I was running away and swolled me whole...same with the Hunter Gamma's...very tough to get them to swallow you but its achieveable...
              Last edited by Stars_g36; 10-16-2007, 09:09 PM.

Comment

Yeah, after much playing around, I managed to get eaten once. I saw the animation several times, but despite actually TRYING to get hit with it, it pushed me aside 9 out of 10 times, the last one finally hitting. I guess that's the attack they most have thought about when writing it. I love death blows in RE, one comes, you heal, if it hits, you're still dead.

Yeah, that's sarcarsm, I actually really don't like one-hit kills like that. Anyway, it's just funny that so many different guides, including a Brady Games Guide, listed the grave digger as having that kind of grab attack that you had to struggle out of.

Later I'll get up the final form of Nemesis, but I have even less hope for seeing a new attack from him.

Comment

in the sub game of R.E 3, when i was Mikal (not spelt right i bet) i got eaten up by one of the hunters, it was in the pharmacy place, where you go to save Nicholi (spelt that right aswell i bet). I think i was in yellow cation and killed 2 of the 3, but the second had a clip at me, killed it but then his friend came up to me and decided to eat me
                  Last edited by nemesis_lover; 10-17-2007, 05:19 AM. Reason: called Mikal, Nikal both spelt wrong + spelling of the wrong name i bet

Comment

Originally posted by Nikovich View Post
                    I know the final form has an attack where if you're standing behind him, he rears back and "bites" you with the spines on his back, though it's simply a very strong physical strike and not an actual grab.

The problem with the guides is that, some of them mention these attacks, others do not, which is the whole source of this ambiguity to begin with.

And ‘GG’?

That's probably what I'm confused with.

GG = Good game.

Used to be said politely at the end of multiplayer games.
                    Now sort of derogatorilly as a way to taunt once they have been hurt / damaged so much that they had effectively been defeated.

In some games its common slang that when you're killed badly, you're GG'd. I pick this up from playing DotA. A warcraft 3 mod.
                    sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X