Resident Evil S.D Perry Books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resident Evil S.D Perry Books

ok i thought i'll start a thread about the r.e novels that have been out for awhile. I've noticed that some ppl don't like them and some do, but i want to know what this forum thinks about them. To be honest i really liked them and have read each one twice (currently reading Zero for a second time). My fav from the books would have to be Nemesis, because i love the way the story was wrote from the diffrent point of views and getting an understanding of how they thought during the times. Sure they don't keep to the game on some parts, but you want somthing new here and there. So in this thread i want to know if you like the books and why, also what is your fav out of them. Would love to hear from members and see if im not the only one who has a love for these books and wishes for a R.E 4 version to be made. Many thanks, nemesis_lover

yea I got them all so far

Comment

I have books 3,4,and 5. But I've read the first.

I like them... They are waaaaay better than the movies.
      Did you notice how Perry is in LOVE with Rebbecca

Comment

Originally posted by BLSR1 View Post
        Did you notice how Perry is in LOVE with Rebbecca
        Hahahaha yeh, in case you didn't know, Perry is a woman (the name doesnt give much hints to it but it's Stephani Danielle Perry, I always thought it was a guy), and I guess rebecca reminds her of her young naive self or whatever. It was ok with me as I always liked Rebecca and it was good to read what happened to her after the first game, even if it's non-canonical. The books are not master writing but they are enjoyable. I wonder why she never did onefor resident evil 4?

Comment

Yeah, I think the books are okay. Not great writing but the're still enjoyable to me just because when reading them, I'm taken back to the in game locations and get nice memories. They are worth owning and reading for us fans IMO.
          I cringe a bit when she adds her own little sexual tensions/desires between characters. Too innocent for my tastes. Why not just be filthy if you're gonna go there? (I'll spare you all an example)
          I didn't like the 'Caliban Cove' book where she made up her own story. Should have done Survivor or Dead Aim instead.
          Yes, why no RE4?
          I've also read the novels of the first 2 films. They were written a bit better but obviously still dealt with the movies storyline.

Comment

Originally posted by Skunky View Post
            Yeah, I think the books are okay. Not great writing but the're still enjoyable to me just because when reading them, I'm taken back to the in game locations and get nice memories. They are worth owning and reading for us fans IMO.
            I cringe a bit when she adds her own little sexual tensions/desires between characters. Too innocent for my tastes. Why not just be filthy if you're gonna go there? (I'll spare you all an example)
            I didn't like the 'Caliban Cove' book where she made up her own story. Should have done Survivor or Dead Aim instead.
            Yes, why no RE4?
            I've also read the novels of the first 2 films. They were written a bit better but obviously still dealt with the movies storyline.
            i know what you mean when she talks about sexual feelings lol, but i quite liked Caliban Cove, because of the new story and new tyrant in it. But she really should make a r.e 4 version and let us get a better understanding in what leon feels about seeing ada again etc.

Comment

I have all of the books and enjoyed them... I collect things and try to enjoy any thing that is part of Resident Evil , But in some of the books I felt that that S.D. Perry had just read the walk-thrus to the games instead of playing the games themselves. I mean that different people had different reactions to parts in the game. But I have yet to meet someone whom had the same opinion as the walk-thrus. That is until I started reading Perry's books.

To be honest: It seemed more like she just skimmed through the walk-thrus, and whatever she missed, she tried to fill in herself.. For example : Anyone notice how she tried to explain why Jill was dressed the way she was in Resident Evil 3 when the game itself didn't?

But like I said. I did enjoy the books. I have even considered checking out some of Perry's other books. Such as the Alien VS Predator series.

Comment

Caliban Cove was actually one of my favorites. The books were quite enjoyable, and I liked how she added her own story to the mix that came throughout the books. It made things interesting

Comment

I loved the books and have each one. The first one was my favorite. I love everything about them and when I was reading them in high school, they were the top of my priority during the day. She did pay a lot of attention to Rebecca come to think of it.
                  Last edited by chrism3784; 11-01-2007, 02:51 PM.

Comment

I only read one, Underworld. IIRC it's #4 in the series, and the second original story.

I really really hated it. She really went to town with her artistic liberties. Weren't thereSpoiler:
                    Do I remember all that correctly?
                    sigpic

Comment

Well, Underworld is, IMO, the worst of her RE novels, because it is so very not RE (just like Anderson's movies >_>).

I recommend you reading other of her books, because they are good. Even her first original story, Caliban Cove, is pleasant to read because it has RE atmosphere (there are even puzzles ;)). And about all of her game-based novels - they are interesting because of ways Perry tries to fill the story, gives characters a little more background and make a novel from a game, where you spent 90% of your time blasting monsters and solving puzzles.

I wonder, will she write a book based on RE4 - novelizing that game would be a horror ;D.

Comment

The ones based on the games are definitely awesome, but her own created ones suck. Does anyone know if she is writing more RE books ATM? I'm looking forward to perhaps some Outbreak books, good chance for some background story to Raccoon.

Comment

well she better get her arse in gear because she'll make a bomb if she got the 4th book out (R.E 4) before R.E 5 came out, also i'd like her to make her own story to do with a lead up to R.E 5, like explain why chris is going to south afica etc, along with meeting monsters on the way there or somthing.

Comment

I've read Umbrella Conspiracy , City of the Dead, and Nemesis.

Perry gives back story, intertwines character paths, gives palpable descriptions of locales, B.O.Ws..I particularly love how she writes the sights and smells of decay and zombies. She translates believability, a sense of dread and peril.

fun & recommended.
                            Last edited by UBCS; 11-22-2007, 08:08 PM.

Comment

I own 1, 2, and 3. I've read 0 as well. I loved them all. I really should get the rest.

I liked in The Umbrella Conspiracy how there was a massive showdown with the Tyrant on the helipad, which involved all the characters (Jill, Chris, Barry, and Rebecca).

I don't really like that Trent guy. Seems like a stupid name.

Comment

Working...
                              X