PDA

View Full Version : Sega Dreamcast

Enigma_632
11-28-2007, 08:57 PM
The Dreamcast I used to have and love, RE2 Nightmare was great fun, you can find me talking about it elsewhere on the forum.

Anyway back on topic, I'm thinking of getting one again I checked with Amazon, they have 7 in stock all from different sellers, the only problem is they're second hand and they range from Like New to Good Condition and the prices range from a 'low 28.99' to 33, is this a no brainer and should grab one now.

Or do you think I could get a better deal elsewhere?

lanaka
11-28-2007, 09:15 PM
Well, like always when purchasing anything, I'd do some research first, but this should be into the backgrounds of each seller, before deciding to buy. As far as price goes, I'd say that's the cheapest you'll find a Dreamcast for, really, so ya, I'd snag one up if any of the sellers look good.

Enigma_632
11-28-2007, 09:20 PM
Most of the dealers look ok and I checked their profile and of them have at least 93% for reliability, I think I may just snap one up since it is so cheap.

Does anyone know if the VMU's die or lose the saves they had after a certain time of inactivity? I still have my VMU and haven't used it in a few years since my Dreamcast died on me.

Hunk_4TH
11-28-2007, 09:41 PM
Hmm I got a brand new one Dreamcast off eBay never been opened a few weeks ago for $70 bucks and a brand new blue VMU for 7.99 I don't believe they lose your save files I have a standard white VMU the battery is dead but I am still able to save and load games :) Imo this was the greatest console ever! Just my opinion though :lol:

belmont1997
11-28-2007, 11:37 PM
I agree with you hunk^_^

The Dude
11-29-2007, 06:53 AM
Ebay the VMU, I managed to buy a couple for 99p each *Official Dreamcast VMU's boxed*

EDIT: Just to add, that vibration units are also cheap if you look on ebay, I ordered a box of official VMU's for £6 a year ago, all legit and sealed, these things must be in such a huge quantity online that they're easy to pick up.

As for the console, I picked a refurbished *but still in as good condition as you could get* in Gamestation about 6 months or so ago for the same price as the ones going on amazon *well more or less mine was about 28*

Brilliant deal really when you consider just how cheap all the old DC games are, re-picked up Shenmue 1 and 2 as my old ones were scratched from 6-7 years of constant play for about 30 for both.

Enigma_632
11-29-2007, 02:36 PM
Thanks The Dude, I'll try my nearest Gamestation to see what they have first.

VirusPunk
11-30-2007, 12:50 AM
I had my Dreamcast since 2003, it was manufactured in 1999. This is the best system ever IMO. It is truly a great system.

The Dude
11-30-2007, 05:17 PM
I have to agree its my favorite system, so many classics like Shenmue, King of Fighters and other SNK games on it, great import titles, along with the original Soul Calibur which I still play non stop.

nemesis_lover
11-30-2007, 06:46 PM
can someone list the top 5 games to buy on d.c, then i may buy one cos Shenmue is the only game i would really buy, i've never played the first one, only the second on the xbox

The Dude
11-30-2007, 07:56 PM
As you're in the UK. Heres some *More then 5 though*

Shenmue I

Shenmue II *cause the PAL version on the DC had a Japanese dub with English subs, granted the subs weren't totally true to the speech and they censore the plot where dou Niu's partner was a transexual by redubbing the voice* but that was the same as in the english version, and even my limited understanding of Japanese could figure out that alot of swearing/minor vulgarity was softened over in the sub's, but overall a great conversion.

The voice acting in the Japanese version was superb and in many ways superior to the US dub.

Use ebay and get a boot disc (Utopia is good, also its cheap, don't pay more then £4 on it), it opens up dozens of Japanese SNK and fighting games such as:

King of Fighters 1999 Dream Match
King of Fighters 99' Evolution
Last Blade 2
Garou: Mark of the Wolves *Fatal Fury: Mark of the Wolves in the US version, aka Fatal Fury 4*

Also lets you run legit US games too, another plus.

Jet Set/Grind Radio, depending on your version, I got Grind *The US version* in all honesty I prefer it over Jet Set Radio Future the xbox sequel/prequel/remake? cause of the steadier framerate and superior OST.

Sonic Adventure *Just 1 though, sonic adventure 2 stank and its cheap on ebay*

Soul Calibur - DEFINITE MUST for all game enthusiasts, w00t.

Virtua Tennis 1 and 2 - Cheap and good games with cool world tour mode.

Street Fighter III Third Strike - Superior to the PS2 version, just get an arcade stick

House of the Dead 2: Great conversion, just get a light gun, they're hard to find though.

Helegad
12-02-2007, 07:12 AM
Sounds like a great investment. I actually thought the Dreamcast was a stupid crap-ass console like PSM said (but what could you expect from a rival mag). I'll try and get my hands on one. I also want another PSX. Those things are great! Such a good range of games.

Hunk_4TH
12-02-2007, 03:53 PM
Like I said above imo the Sega Dreamcast was one of the best consoles ever made along with the Sega Saturn imo!

Sonicboy 101
12-02-2007, 04:29 PM
I got my Dreamcast since it came out. I still got it now, I play on Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 now and then.
Also Virtua Tennis. Got some great memories with that game.

The Dude
12-02-2007, 08:18 PM
I got my Dreamcast the night it came out in the UK in 99, however it randomly started resetting itself 4 years ago so I got a refurbished one last year.

Hunk_4TH
12-03-2007, 04:56 PM
I got my Dreamcast the night it came out in the UK in 99, however it randomly started resetting itself 4 years ago so I got a refurbished one last year. Oh really? That sucks did you try taking the top off and dusting it out? Thats a common problem with Dreamcast's. I have about 5-6 of them 4 of them don't work one does work bt freezes in certain games and my latest one is a brand new one I got off eBay a month ago never been opened :)

The Dude
12-03-2007, 05:59 PM
Y'know I've never opened it, never been one for opening things up and messing with them, but considering the abuse it took during its lifespan, I wouldn't be suprised if it was either dust or people whacking it when shenmue kept resetting during drunken playthroughs at uni with my mates.

Hunk_4TH
12-03-2007, 06:12 PM
Yea taking the top off shouldn't hurt anything probably just needs a good dust out. Though I never thought about doing that to my old one when I bought my new one lol

The Dude
12-03-2007, 07:10 PM
Likewise, the new one does the trick anyway and I keep it relatively clean.

Umon Daisuke
12-08-2007, 08:48 PM
I had two at some point, one of which was a Claire version. The current one doesn't load Shenmue I's first disc, which is a shame all things considered.

I bought 3 controllers and some VMU's before they disappeared in 2001, but I really should've gotten a 2nd unit just in case. SC1 is still the best home version of a "Soul" game (the best is SCIII arcade), and Shenmue 1 is still on the DC alone.

Street Fighter III Third Strike - Superior to the PS2 version, just get an arcade stick

Nope, but everything prior to SFIII as far as 2D games go was superior on the DC. The PS2 version wipes the floor with the DC one as far as animation and image quality as well as gameplay balance go (the DC version was based off a revision).

I'd like to see Alpha 3 and 3rd Strike on the HD systems. Not overhauled, just upgraded sprite resolutions.

Helegad
12-13-2007, 11:38 PM
I never really liked 2D fighting games. Actually, I never really liked fighting games full stop.

The Dude
12-14-2007, 04:02 AM
Thats unfortunate, Dreamcast was one of the better consoles for getting 2d fighters.
I still have to disagree about SFIII looking better on the PS2.

Umon Daisuke
12-14-2007, 09:06 AM
Not quite a debatable matter, particularly the gameplay bit. Both Xbox and PS2 (same code) versions are used in EVO and major tourneys whereas the arcade version was used before.

The PS2 version does have a soft filter option that can be turned off, so maybe that's the issue (I remember some complaining about that). Not to mention that it had the original OST as well as the remix.

JurassicUtility
12-31-2007, 04:53 PM
Heh.
I used to own a Dreamcast. I got mine for my birthday in the year of 2000, and then played the hell out of it until it died five years later...

Hello by the way! http://www.the-horror.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif

SinValentine
01-01-2008, 11:21 PM
i got my d/c for 40 total (including shipping) off of ebay. and it was dirty! like all this dust on it, i scrubbed that bitch like there was no tomorrow. now it's white and clean and smells like lemon lol. but yeah you should go on ebay, there's some people who sell it dirt cheap!

i went to my gamestop and saw they had a rack for dreamcast games (so rare, because who sells those these days?) i saw shenmue there :D it didn't have a case or manual but it had the 3 disks and i got that for 7 dollars. the mem card was 3 dollars. and my bf at the time burned me shenmue passport and shenmue 2. but when we broke up i must've got really mad and broke shenmue 2 with it because i can't find disc 2 to it :nervous:

ah well, i'm sure there's a way to burn shenmue 2 out again onto a disk again

Enigma_632
01-02-2008, 08:03 PM
Shenmue was great.

Never got round to Shenmue 2, you can probably guess why.

SinValentine
01-20-2008, 01:55 AM
i heard the x box version sucked too, so i'm just hunting for another copy of it. i remember last year there was a lot of hype for shenmue 3.. i guess they went broke again

Rombie
01-20-2008, 03:43 AM
There was an illfated attempt to turn Shenmue into a MMORPG in China which bombed. No official talk of any new Shenmue titles has been made in like 4 or so years now. The chances of a third game happening are slim to none at this stage, but if they announced it for a console I don't have it would be enough to make me buy that console.

My DC collection is quite large, but the quality games on the system were limited and most came out in the first six months or so of the systems life. By the time the second wave of decent titles came it was far too late.

Borman
01-20-2008, 08:37 AM
Shenmue Online never bombed. It hasnt been released to bomb hah. Last update was in 2006 though so who knows whats going on, nothing official either way

Rombie
01-20-2008, 08:48 AM
Not bombed in the idea of it releasing and bombing, I'm meaning bombing as in the entire development of it went into hell and eventually fell to bits.

There has been updates on it's status of late, and that was the project was having constant problems and that the team in charge of it has been disbanded and the project is currently not being worked on by the company who did the most of the work.

Aside from that no indication has been made by Sega as to if they still intend on producing it since the last trailer.

Check out this thread for a post from someone who was working on it (complete with files from the actual project as evidence).

http://shenmue.planets.gamespy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=789535

DXP
01-20-2008, 01:53 PM
my dreamcast stopped working :( i've had it for 2 years and i finally got to the 3rd disc of shenmue 1 and the damn thing refuses to run any disc *sighs* anyway its a awesome console its a shame it flopped when the ps2 came out.

The Dude
01-20-2008, 06:25 PM
i heard the x box version sucked too, so i'm just hunting for another copy of it. i remember last year there was a lot of hype for shenmue 3.. i guess they went broke again

Shenmue 3 will never happen, the previous 2 games despite being critically acclaimed and of cult status, cost too much to develop and didn't sell very well and from what I gathered neither did the Xbox port of Shenmue 2 in the US.

Its a shame, Shenmue II was rather good.

SinValentine
01-20-2008, 06:31 PM
yea shenmue 2 over here for x box is like 8 dollars. and it's DC version on ebay can go up to $ 36.

the cheapest i've ever seen it was 30 though.

The Dude
01-20-2008, 06:33 PM
You think thats bad try bidding for it on Ebay.co.uk.
The price can double but the Japanese dub *despite the lax translation at places and the censorship of one character* was superior to the US dub from the Xbox version.

SinValentine
01-20-2008, 06:56 PM
who'd they censor? Lan Di?

The Dude
01-20-2008, 07:15 PM
Yuan, a character in Shenmue 2, they re-dubbed her voice in the PAL version with a womans when in actuality she was a transexual if memory serves.
Alot of Ryo's dialogue matches this in Shenmue 2 as it wasn't changed however the Subtitles are changed to smooth over any inconsistencies, so sometimes what Ryo says isn't what comes up in the subs in relation to Yuan on disc 3 of Shenmue.

Umon Daisuke
01-20-2008, 10:20 PM
Shenmue III would've happened had the 2nd game been on the PS2. It's just one of those rare scenarios where the user base really mattered to keep the franchise alive, given overall development costs. US Xbox sales of the game literally put the final nail in the coffin, and Suzuki had a hard time trying to rally Sega to fund a third game.

Years later, Sega's Nagoshi uses elements of Shenmue to make a game and it becomes a hit that's getting a third release already. Oddly enough, Ryu ga gotoku aka Yakuza, didn't receive much attention in the west either.

It's just too reminiscent of Shenmue, right down to the combat system.

Anyway, if anyone can get over the English VA, the Xbox version is quite good technically. The controller is more responsive, and there is no slowdown.

Borman
01-20-2008, 11:33 PM
Its hard to say. Microsoft tossed money at them, but I dont know how much that was, and what type of corners would have had to been cut in the then early PS2 development. I also wonder if it would have been better to have Shenmue 2 on the DC in the US, but really, I think any system wouldnt have been enough.

FeurMensch
01-21-2008, 01:18 AM
I've had my Dreamcast for nearly 8 years and it still works great. Same with my Playstation, I had the PSX for 10+ years and it is still going great. My PSX was in the first run, so it was made in Japan.

The only system that died on me was my brothers Xbox (failed mod-chip install) and a Sega Genesis which just died out of nowhere.

I only play the Dreamcast for RE2/RE3 and Guilty Gear and Shenmue 1/2. What a great system. Too bad it didn't last. I'm sure it would have been a conteder for the PS2 if it wouldn't have died.

SinValentine
01-21-2008, 01:28 AM
yea i was going to mention that, when i played yakuza it was like shenmue all over again minus the constant thug talk

The Dude
01-21-2008, 06:38 AM
I thought it was badly Localised for the US.
The thug talk and constant Vulgarity really got to me, which was a shock to the system as I can be a really vulgar person.

Umon Daisuke
01-21-2008, 09:00 AM
I also wonder if it would have been better to have Shenmue 2 on the DC in the US, but really, I think any system wouldnt have been enough.

It would've been much better on the DC. The first game sold nearly 500K on the DC in the US, while the Xbox SII sold less than 200K.

Early PS2 development issue notwithstanding, the user base factor would've helped achieve enough sales to warrant a sequel. There was a distinct discrepancy between the demographics of each system back then; that line is getting blurry albeit very slowly.

Borman
01-24-2008, 10:51 PM
The funny thing is though, I picked up the European version for DC up in Software Etc (now Gamestop). Saw it on the shelf and had to have it hah