Dreamcast Code Hacking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dreamcast Code Hacking

Since no one obviously bothered to answer my question on Bioflames 3 weeks ago, I'll see if I have better luck here. Does anyone here know anything about Dreamcast code hacking & such? The Code Breaker website doesn't seem to care about the Dreamcast anymore, so no support from them either. I wanted to know if anyone here knows of any tools/programs to use for finding codes for Dreamcast games. No one has bothered to even make any new codes for RE3, so I thought I would give it a shot. It would be greatly appreciated.

Well, i don't know anything about hacking games on the consoles, But i have tried out a bit with emulators. Using nullDC and ArtMoney, i was able to do some things with the game "Blue Stinger" such as change the amount of money i had. I think emulators are best to use when trying to modify a games memory (Save states! ^^).
    For some emulators (other platforms), there is sometimes a plugin or built in function that accepts codebreaker codes. Tho i don't think there is one with Dreamcast right now. (PCSX2, PS2 emulator, has an interesting patch system and i once read some documents on how to convert a codebreaker code into useful information for the patches... Still can't get FFX-2 Debug menus to work yet tho >.>... Tho that has nothing to do with Dreamcast O.O~!).
    Last edited by Orin; 12-09-2007, 10:33 PM. Reason: Spelling/Mistype

Comment

He means how do you create custom codes via Code Breaker,Gameshark or Action Replay for the Dreamcast version of Resident Evil 3. I too would actually like to know this myself. I don't care much for emulators only for consoles I don't have access to or can afford.
      Last edited by Hunk_4TH; 12-09-2007, 10:41 PM.

Comment

Hmm, well i know that CB/GS/AR have there own formats or encrypt there codes. I found a app that can encrypt/decrypt AR/GS codes for Dreamcast but i think what you do is use a disassembler for the dreamcast executables. I feel as tho im too much of a newbie to know how to do anything other than use memory editors and "hints"(like do any action in game and look for a change in the memory) to tweak with the game.

Comment

Originally posted by Orin View Post
          Hmm, well i know that CB/GS/AR have there own formats or encrypt there codes. I found a app that can encrypt/decrypt AR/GS codes for Dreamcast but i think what you do is use a disassembler for the dreamcast executables. I feel as tho im too much of a newbie to know how to do anything other than use memory editors and "hints"(like do any action in game and look for a change in the memory) to tweak with the game.
          Would you mind sharing that DC encrypt/decrypt program? Well I was hoping DC hacking was the same as hacking a PS2/PSX game (i.e. elf, memory dump) but I highly doubt it. I can try using Tsearch or Cheat Engine on the emulator then see if I can covert the raw data to GS/AR format using that program, only if you plan on giving out a download link though.

Also tried modding RE3 by creating a modded CDI image, swapped a few enemies around. Unfortunately it wouldn't boot up past the Sega logo.

Comment

While doing a quick search i saw some links pointing to a dreamcast disassembler but got nothing but dead links.

Comment

Thank you for sharing the link. Sounds pretty interesting though, at least I now know a Dreamcast disassembler exists.

EDIT:

OK I found a site that contains quite a few debuggers and disassemblers for Dreamcast.

You'll need Win RAR to unzip these.

Now to begin code hacking.
              Last edited by VirusPunk; 12-09-2007, 11:55 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the help Orin. Too bad there doesn't seem to be any guides on how to do this

Comment

Working...
                X