The Gamecube can play DivX?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Gamecube can play DivX?

You can clearly see the DivX video logo on this back cover which seems strange because I thought all PS2 & GC Resident Evil games used the Sofdec and ADX codecs not DivX, I didn't even think playing DivX files was possible on the gamecube I ask all this because I want to know what codec the .H4M files use.
    Last edited by kevstah2004; 12-20-2007, 10:28 PM.
    If he had a brain, he'd be dangerous.

sigpic

Whether or not a game can use a certain codec is game dependant. The gamecube could easily do Divx, hell, I'm sure it has the processing power to do HD if it wasn't held back by its memory. In fact, Factor 5 actually made tools so people could easily implement DivX movies into games on many different platforms. Factor 5 themselves used this technology in the last rogue squadron game.

As to the .H4m's, sry.
    Last edited by metaleggman; 12-21-2007, 02:10 AM.

Comment

You can clearly see the DivX video logo on this back cover
      It appears that in this certain build, the videos are/were indeed encoded with DivX, and Vorbis audio aswell.

I thought all PS2 & GC Resident Evil games used the Sofdec and ADX codecs not DivX
      Not all of them. Off the top of my head:
      Dead Aim (Sony PSS/MPG)
      BioHazard (Nintendo H4M/DSP)
      BioHazard 0 (Nintendo H4M/DSP)
      BioHazard 2 GCN (Nintendo H4M/DSP)
      BioHazard 3 GCN (Nintendo H4M/DSP)

I want to know what codec the .H4M files use
      The codec/H4M SDK was developed for Nintendo's Gamecube by HudsonSoft (IIRC); so it is just that - the HudsonSoft GCN Movie format.

There are no converters, players or rippers for the H4M format, unless you know how to compile your own standalone GCM image and play it back on a modded Cube.
      I'm a blackstar.

Comment

Well .SFD PS2 files can be viewed by using sfd2mpg which will give you a .MPG (Video+Audio), (Audio) .MP2 & tmp.WAV the problem with the .MPG it gives is that the audio plays way to fast so the only way to correct is to mute the audio in Movie Maker and overwrite it with tmp.WAV which leads me to another problem because Movie Maker can't encode movies in 512w x 336h so it looks stretched & pixelated at 640x480 anyone know any decent video editing software for Windows?
        Last edited by kevstah2004; 12-21-2007, 07:55 PM.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by kevstah2004 View Post
          Well .SFD PS2 files can be viewed by using sfd2mpg which will give you a .MPG (Video+Audio), (Audio) .MP2 & tmp.WAV the problem with the .MPG it gives is that the audio plays way to fast so the only way to correct is to mute the audio in Movie Maker and overwrite it with tmp.WAV which leads me to another problem because Movie Maker can't encode movies in 512w x 336h so it looks stretched & pixelated at 640x480 anyone know any decent video editing software for Windows?
          VirtualDub is what I use. It's easy to use, has an abundance of options, and overall, it's free. Windows Movie Maker pales in comparison.
          Last edited by News Bot; 12-21-2007, 08:03 PM.
          PROJECT Umbrella - The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium

Comment

VirtualDub is great for editing, but in this specific case it is best to use TMPGEnc to rip SFD files. It will rip raw, lossless M1V/M2V video and ADX audio. The ADX audio can then be converted without loss, and multiplexed with the original M1V/M2V using TMPGEnc. Afterwards, it would be best to use VirtualDub to convert the lossless MPG to another format.

Code:
            CRI-Middleware SFD/SFM Format
            MPEG Extraction
            -------------------------

Necessary Software:
            TMPGEnc
            in_cube (WinAmp plugin | Program to convert ADX audio)

Optional Software:
            AFS Explorer 3.7 (Used often for SFD extraction)
            GC-Tool (For the extraction of GameCube SFD files)

HEADER:
            HEX      INFO
            -------------
            0x1020   SofdecStream

MPEG:
            1) Open TMPGEnc, select "File" menu and then the "MPEG Tools..." option.

2) Open the "De-multiplex" tab and browse for your extracted SFD file.

3) Double-click and save the video stream with the default M1V/M2V extension.

4) Double-click and save the audio stream with the file extension ADX.

5) Convert the ADX to MP3 by any means necessary. Do not alter the Khz rate.

6) With TMPGEnc still open, select the "Simple Multiplex" tab from within the "MPEG Tools..." option.

7) Join the extracted M1V/M2V and MP3 video and audio streams.

8) File size output will be rather large (lossless), conversion to another format (AVI, DivX, etc.) maybe necessary.

Note: Not all GameCube SFD video can be converted with this method.

//              SFD/SFM Format Documentation
            //              By Mark Grass
            //              December 08, 2007
            Loseless Output Example (Outbreak Intro):
            I'm a blackstar.

Comment

Here's a divx .vid I extracted from one of .tgc files on that disc.
              I tried playing it back in the latest DivX player but it's a no go :-(
              The reason I ask is because as far I know all the releases of re2 and re3 use letterboxing on the game intro's and this preview disc is the only place where they appear in true full screen.
              Last edited by kevstah2004; 05-17-2009, 10:50 PM.

sigpic

Comment

Didn't someone develop a DivX decoder for the Nintendo 64?

Comment

Working...
                X