FBI Prepares Database of Biometrics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FBI Prepares Database of Biometrics

CLARKSBURG, W. Va. - The FBI is embarking on a $1 billion effort to build the world's largest computer database of peoples' physical characteristics, a project that would give the government unprecedented abilities to identify individuals in the United States and abroad.

Digital images of faces, fingerprints and palm patterns are already flowing into FBI systems in a climate-controlled, secure basement here.
    And they still call this country a Democracy?! And to think, this is happening in my own back yard...
    I'm a blackstar.

I dont see anything wrong in that. I think they should take DNA sample of every human in this planet (i know not possible in every country) that would make many things much easier.
    Last edited by Guest; 12-23-2007, 02:32 PM.

Comment

I have to agree with Mr.Suomi here on that one.

I think the real concern probably lies in the fact that people certain places for some reason doesn't have enough faith in the authorities to agree to such a system (or for some reason feels threatened by it).

A little bit of why I love these kinda things:
      When I'm out traveling, I don't really have to be afraid of losing my passport as I can always be looked up in a DB (Incase they for some reason don't approve of my ID cards). I don't have to fill in a bunch of family background identification crap when I fill in forms/applications for certain things (instead I just use a social security number or Passport ID) and I only have to press my thumb on a device when I check in at the airport (and again when I board the plane).

Comment

I think the real concern probably lies in the fact that people certain places for some reason doesn't have enough faith in the authorities to agree to such a system
        I don't nor will I ever have faith in people who "have nothing better to do".

Human beings are now being cataloged like cheap coupons. What kind of benefit comes from this?!
        Last edited by MeganGrass; 12-23-2007, 03:31 PM.
        I'm a blackstar.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkGrass View Post
          I don't nor will I ever have faith in people who "have nothing better to do".

Human beings are now being cataloged like cheap coupons. What kind of benefit comes from this?!
          Like the prophets of Rage Against the Machine have said in the Ghost of Tom Joad; welcome to the new world order!

Comment

Like the prophets of Rage Against the Machine have said in the Ghost of Tom Joad; welcome to the new world order!
            Let the truth be spoken ^

God bless you, VirusPunk.....er, in lack of religious terms, Thank You.
            Last edited by MeganGrass; 12-23-2007, 06:38 PM.
            I'm a blackstar.

Comment

Well now you don't need ______'s keycard which he lost in the sewer the other day and is currently stuck in a zombie shark infested filtration plant to enter the Umbrella lab, since now all you need now is his chopped off hand and head in order to get clearance.
              Seibu teh geimu?
              ---

Comment

^^^
                LOL I can picture that scenario in future REs...
                "Will you take the severed bloody hand? YES/NO"
                Although I suppose they've gotten pretty close to that already with Mendez's eye.

As to be on topic: I can see how they could think it's a good thing (using it to track down criminals and all), but one thing's bugging me is:

a project that would give the government unprecedented abilities to identify individuals in the United States and abroad.
                Wait, so they'll have information on people outside the US? Can they even do that? I mean there's most likely going to be some issues about them having people on file that shouldn't even be part of their jurisdiction...
                Damnit you guys! Stop trying to police the world! >_>

Also, like someone in the article said, genetic stuff is permanent. Like if someone somehow steals your fingerprint or something and frames you, but you were found innocent, there's no guarantee that they wouldn't continue framing you.
                Last edited by JcFFx; 12-23-2007, 09:39 PM.

Comment

I may have heard too many horror stories, but apparently if I desired to fly to the US I'd have to give my prints, retina scan and a DNA sample. I dunno if it's legal or not, or true either. The current US goverement doesn't seem to be unduly concerned by little things such as legality anyway.

I, personally, have no particular objection to these systems. The British Goverment is trying to do something similar, but using ID cards containing all the information...which each cost $150. Which we each have to pay for our selves. The plans have currently been shelved.

However, considering my dear goverment has just lost hundreds of thousands of peoples personal data, at a level that would make taking there bank details over very simple, and fromt mutliple sources...I wouldn't trust my goverment with a stool sample, let alone enough personal data to completely take over my identity.

Comment

I see both sides of this argument often and it is hard to come to an understanding simply because they are two different views of the same occurrence. I don't think anyone can deny this kind of database will give the government and its agencies more control over its people. It means that there is less about you that anyone can know with proper clearance. Now the contradiction is over whether this will generate more security or be one step towards a totalitarian slope. I can't really comment on either, but I will say that at some point I have to say no, you cannot catalog more of my information. At some point being on the "grid" has to mean a certain level of privacy. I don't see this particular measure as intruding. I believe this information has been available already regardless. I just hope to never see the day when my ID and banking information is kept on one card that can be turned off at a moment's notice. That is too much power to give a governing body. It will get abused, it is just a matter of time.

Comment

Originally posted by Yalmuk View Post
                      I dont see anything wrong in that. I think they should take DNA sample of every human in this planet (i know not possible in every country) that would make many things much easier.
                      Until they sell the data to your insurance company. They make a fortune, and your premiums go up if you have a pre-disposition towards any sort of disease which is part hereditary. (Which will be pretty much be everyone).

I'm definately against DNA typing people without good reason.

Wait, so they'll have information on people outside the US? Can they even do that? I mean there's most likely going to be some issues about them having people on file that shouldn't even be part of their jurisdiction...
                      Damnit you guys! Stop trying to police the world! >_>
                      I think it means US citizens living/working abroad.
                      sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X