Biohazard 2 on the Playstation Network

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Biohazard 2 on the Playstation Network

Yep, you heard right, Biohazard 2 was released on the Playstation Network. Obviously its only been released in Japan, however this marks the second Biohazard game to hit the PSN since its launch a little over a year ago. Hopefully SCEA will get themselves in gear and start releasing more Playstation titles on the store so more fans can come to know the original titles.

Thanks to cvxfreak!

Is it even possible for us to buy this thing, or are we having to resort to pirate methods?
    PROJECT Umbrella - The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium

Comment

You can buy it with Japanese PS cards. They are out now, all you need is a Japanese account.

Anyway I'd advise against it. The PS3's output in PS1 is much lower than that of a PS2 or PS1.

Comment

Any idea how this works? Are both discs seperate downloads?

And from having played Resident Evil 2 on the PS3 upscaled, it looks terrible. It looks fantastic on a PSP however, so it would almost be worth it for that.

Comment

Originally posted by Dot50Cal View Post

Anyway I'd advise against it. The PS3's output in PS1 is much lower than that of a PS2 or PS1.
          Audio aside (which is applicable to PS2 games), I disagree. Games look as dated as they were back in the day, but the sound is quite poor though.

The RE games passed the travesty test that SH1 failed.. so many updates, and the game still has one fatal bug.

Comment

Good news, me thinks
            I was pleased with the Bio-DC download running on ps3. It was quicker and smoother than running it on ps1 or ps2 (the loading times were all but gone). As, already stated, it's not gonna look any better than the original ps version (I don't think). It will be a bummer to go back to the downgraded graphics after playing the Gamecube version but I'll still get it anyway. The more downloads it gets the more Capcom will be encouraged to release these older games on PSN (I wont mention 1.5 but it remains a dream ).
            I think I'm nearly out of credits on my Jap-PSN account though, so I'll have to get another card... I havn't checked yet but it's probably also on the Hong Kong store, for those who find the Japanese language barriers too difficult to conquer.

Here's a question: I've got Bio2 dual shock version and have a save file on ps1 memory card, with Hunk and Extreme Battle mode unlocked. Using the ps3 memory card converter would I be able to use this save file on the download version? (I'd check it myself but I havn't got one of those converters yet)

Edit: I'm downloading it now... Yay! (747mb)
            It's not at the HK store, not yet anyway...
            Here's the BIG thing! I could be wrong but judging by the 3 screenshots they have at the Jap-PSN site, it looks like it might be the PC/Gamecube standard of graphics!!!
            Last edited by Skunky; 12-28-2007, 03:43 AM.

Comment

Vist http://store.playstation.com/store/index.vm Submit Japan

then type these in you url rectangle then press enter

BIOHAZARD DIRECTOR'S CUT

BIOHAZARD 2
              If he had a brain, he'd be dangerous.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Umon Daisuke View Post
                Audio aside (which is applicable to PS2 games), I disagree. Games look as dated as they were back in the day, but the sound is quite poor though.
                I'd post a picture of the component output of both consoles but eh I deleted them a while back. I'll say that the PS3 scales games much better, but it crushes black colors. If you use that Xploder HDTV software to scale though it scales the same as the PS3 and you dont get the black colors becoming too black.

Comment

I don't upscale the games now actually since I got mixed results (washed out colours with some PS2 games etc). It did some good on the AQUOS set, but I found that leaving the original resolutions intact works well on an XBR set.

Comment

I've just been playing it for a while and made some observations...
                    Playing on a 40" Sony bravia-X 1080p tv, ps3 through HDMI and the Gamecube version running on the Wii through component cables. Playing at the same time and flicking between the two while standing in the same place (only played up to the licker encounter).
                    The GC version has WAY better character models, using a lot more pixels. The ps3 version has the same old chunky/blocky characters from the original playstation version. But the weird thing is that the backgrounds, most notably on the streets, look a lot better on the ps3. They are sharper, smoother and have more detail.
                    The cut scenes seemed about the same quality.
                    I found it strange because the GC version of RE3 has the better character models AND backgrounds (both MUCH better than the ps1 version).
                    I'm no tech expert so I don't have an explanation for this...
                    Also on the ps3 download I didn't have a choice between Leon and Claire. I just started playing as Leon. I presume when finished you get the Claire option. It is D-pad only, auto aim (didn't check if you can switch it off because I like it that way) and no quick 180 turn (I don't think any version has it).
                    I wasn't really concerned with audio. No problems that I could notice. The GC was a bit louder than the ps3 but this might be because of the HDMI.
                    Definitely worth the 600yen!!!

Comment

It'll be because the PSOne version is in native 320X240 display for the background, which is why the characters look odd scaled but the smoothing option probably assists in clean backgrounds.

Where as the GC edition still has the same background files upscaled without any filtering, but the character models benefit from the same graphic improvements of every other non-PS edition of RE2 (we're talking PC and Dreamcast).

The PC versions of RE1 and 2 especially looks horrible when you scale it up to maximum when the backgrounds are still low res. I used to have to then resize any screenshots I took back down to make it look nice. The PC, DC, and GC versions of RE3 however benefit from higher resolution background files (800X600 default IIRC).

How big was the download file for the game? Odd about the selection too... even the newer versions asked for character selection. I would have thought that would have been incorporated. Quickturn wasn't introduced until post Dino Crisis to any Biohazard title.
                      Last edited by Rombie; 12-29-2007, 04:32 AM.

Comment

I am very in the dark about this, but was there actually 1 disc editions of RE2?

Comment

Originally posted by Nemesis556 View Post
                          I am very in the dark about this, but was there actually 1 disc editions of RE2?
                          Gamecube
                          N64 was 1 cartridge.

So you choose which character you'd like to play as, then Load, New game etc.

I'm not sure about PC version, if you needed 2 different discs, especially the later DVD release.
                          sigpic

Comment

In normal PC version you have 2 CD, one with Leon and one with Claire.
                            In the new DVD version, I believe there's only one disc and you chose which character you want to play.

Comment

In the new DVD version, I believe there's only one disc
                              Confirmed.

I was kinda disappointed with the SourceNext DVD release of BioHazard 2, the game still runs slow even with AA and AF turned completely off.
                              I'm a blackstar.

Comment

Working...
                              X