games you don't want anymore?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• games you don't want anymore?

there's some games on my shelf that i decided to get rid of, my sis had games too so we both went to gamestop this afternoon.

thing is she had 3 games, and even though they were old (but still in good condition with the manual and stuff) it came out to 9.99 total. what a ripoff.

i was wondering where do you guys go to get rid of your games? i know ebay's an option but is it worth it after the shipping?

also i'm having trouble with this PS3 my little sis got. she bought it at costco for $500 (this is with tax and everything)

it comes with a ps3 game, a spiderman 3 dvd, the console, wires, dvd remote and 2 controllers. i advised her not to get it in the first place but she never listens to me . she has the 40 gb one, and it doesn't play ps 2 games for some reason.

so she said we should take it to gamestop in order to get an 80gb one. i went to gamestop today with her and they said they needed a controller with it. but i don't get something, they won't just take a ps3 like that would they? don't you have to pay money to get the 80 gb version? also what does the 80 gb ps3 cost nowadays? isn't it like $500?

so then that'd mean she's going to waste a whole $100 or whatever just to get a ps3 that'll work perfectly.

and i told her to refund the stupid thing but they ripped up the box already.

jeez i dunno what to do so she's pretty much screwed right?

I may be wrong, but I believe you need to download some additional software before a PS2 will play all American games. It's backward compatibility is a bit limited.

As for what I do with games I don't want...well, it rarely happens. I hate to waste money so I tend to make sure I like games before I buy them and if I like a game, I don't sell it. There are rare occasions where I've traded games in as part of a special deal to get something else, though, since it tends to be worth more to trade in than to get cash.

Also, the newer the game the higher the price (as a rule) so if you pick up a game and dislike it take it straight back in as soon as you can.

Comment

hm that's what i thought too! because it wouldn't be fair if the 80 GB one only was backwards compatable. she wants me to take her to gamestop this afternoon but i'm going to do some more research to see what we should do.

if it were up to me i would've just gotten a 360

Comment

Originally posted by SinValentine View Post
        also i'm having trouble with this PS3 my little sis got. she bought it at costco for $500 (this is with tax and everything)

it comes with a ps3 game, a spiderman 3 dvd, the console, wires, dvd remote and 2 controllers. i advised her not to get it in the first place but she never listens to me . she has the 40 gb one, and it doesn't play ps 2 games for some reason.

so she said we should take it to gamestop in order to get an 80gb one. i went to gamestop today with her and they said they needed a controller with it. but i don't get something, they won't just take a ps3 like that would they? don't you have to pay money to get the 80 gb version? also what does the 80 gb ps3 cost nowadays? isn't it like $500?
        For a start, 40gb PS3's aren't PS2 compatible, and from what I remember the 80gb PS3 isnt either.
        I know for certain the UK 40gb PS2 isn't backwards compatible and neither is my friends import 40gb PS2.

You're better off shopping around for the older 60gb version if you want a backwards compatibility PS3 as frankly all the new ones don't have the option as its cheaper for Sony to mass produce Ps3's without the Emotion Engine or Software Emulation thats necessary for PS2 backward compatibility.
        For older PS3's you're better off surfing ebay, I don't know how you spent $500 on one when i've seen them go cheaper on auctions.

80gb PS3 is $500 too, and no, since you're in their eyes buying a PS3 with larger hard disk drive they'll probably buy your PS3 from you and ask for 60-70 dollars more.
        Keep your PS3, if you're even the slightest bit tech savvy you can take out your 40gb hDD and replace it with a larger HDD as long as it is the right size to fit into the slot.

Thats what I did, I now have a 150gb HDD in the 40gb PS3 I bought awhile back. (Your Warranty isn't voided either).

Second, its not even worth selling your pre-owned games as you're lucky to get 75% of the value back, they'll buy ridiculously low then throw 20 onto the price and sell it.
        Even for example when I finished Spiderman 3 on the day I got it and took it back for a trade they only offered me 19.99 for it when I spent £35.

Comment

yea i've seen it for cheaper too, wayy cheaper and she told me to shutup

so then i guess this thing is a shiny piece of junk since it's not backwards compatible. it plays the ps1 games just fine though. i think i'll tell her to keep it (if she'll listen to me or not) and hopefully they'll come out with something later on to make it backwards compatible? i doubt that though, it seems like a hardware thing than something to just download

Comment

Most probably no updates for PS2 backwards compatibility will be made on the 40gb version.
            But considering PS2 is cheap nowadays *seen some go for 50 in ASDA recently* I can't see why people can't just pick one of those up.

Comment

that's what i did i got myself a ps2 real cheap, even came with a year subscription to some magazine i don't even read

btw i saw there was a bundle pack for castlevania rondo of blood + a psp

it looked pretty good i might get it. my sis also made the mistake to buy hers at 170 or something, i told her not to do that too! but she didn't listen

i can't wait for her to get a job so she'll understand the value of a dollar, srsly she's so spoiled
              Last edited by SinValentine; 01-28-2008, 07:41 AM.

Comment

Then I can't see what the problem is with Keeping the PS3 you lot have then.

Comment

i'm not sharing with her! she doesn't deserve it, i might make her beg for it though

Comment

Uh...huh.

Comment

yep get a 60gb version, i think the 80gb plays ps2 games because on some ebay listings they say it can. i know from the start you need an internet connection to download the software to start playing ps2 games on the 60gb, as i did.
                      I'd say ebay would be your best place, when thinking about postage, just add £1 or something, so it ends up you are only paying for half of the postage. Buyers wont give you a negitive because you've short changed them a pound or two dollers.
                      Well thats what i think, def for old games, like tomb raider legends on 360 would be bought from my game shop for £4 but someone on ebay would buy it for £10 or more.
                      Btw get a 360, they're more sexy ;)

Comment

I can't really say its worth having a PS3 right now, I just got it cause im a completionist *having nearly every console from every generation of gaming since the NES*.
                        Most decent PS3 games aren't out till the end of the year.

Comment

=O PS3 White is sexy and you all know it!!
                          As for the models...
                          40gb can't and never will have backwards compatibility with PS2.
                          60gb currently has, but needs a download.
                          80gb if I'm not mistaken, has software compatibility.
                          These are PAL, but I'm not sure if they apply to NTSC, they probably do though, so...

That's basically it, shame you can't add PS1 games to the game menu to play from Harddrive...Meh.
                          I have Resident Evil 3 so I'm happy! =)

And about games I don't play or want...
                          I leave them, theres no point, trading 5 games in and they were going to give me £4, what a cheap ripoff, honestly, it's like this:
                          GAME/GameStation Man 1: Right! I have an idea! Any game worth £40 we will buy for £10!!!
                          GAME/GameStation Man 2: Genious! Then sell it for £39!
                          GAME/GameStation Man 1: And if it's scratched and doesn't work! We'll sell it anyway!
                          GAME/GameStation Man 2: Where do you come up with this stuff?!
                          GAME/GameStation Man 1: I know! Look! There's our first victim...A game worth £20...Let's give them £1
                          GAME/GameStation Man 2: GENIOUS!
                          Last edited by Gradon; 01-28-2008, 09:19 AM.

Comment

Keep the 40GB. The PS3's BC in general isn't quite perfect (both audio and visual issues... minor but still there). Those consoles also have a 65nm Cell chips, so they run even cooler.

SCEI's timeline before Kutaragi's leave was to have full software emulation to replace hardware. Whether the plan has been scrapped or they're still working on it remains to be seen. They had hired emulation engineers to do the job, and the job posting mentioned "future console" as well. I think it's a matter of waiting, given that there is money to be made through downloadable PS2 games.

I use mine occasionally for PS2 games, but the Toslink's muted audio is a sticking point for me, so my PS2 is still set up. Dot can vouch for the vid output issue, but the issue is minor unlike audio.

You got it at a good time, since there are a number of good games to enjoy on the console now:

- Uncharted - It's the crown jewel right now overall of the library and prettiest console game out there.

- R&C - Nothing earth-shattering, but it's still got the great gameplay of the series with good replay value.

- NG Sigma - Take NG Black, make a few design changes in story mode + tons of new extras and you've got a great action game.

- T5 Dark Resurrection Online: Network download. Don't need to sell you on Tekken.

- Super Stardust HD: Addictive 2D-esque shooter. There is a demo for it as well.

There are other games out there, and most good ones do have demos on the PSN. Resistance was one of the few good launch titles, and worth checking out if you're into the FPS genre. DMC4 is out next week too.

EDIT: The Dude, need to add that it has to be a SATA drive. Not sure what the cache size is on those 40GB ones, but the WD one I installed made a difference for me in both speed and power consumption.
                            Last edited by Umon Daisuke; 01-28-2008, 09:30 AM.

Comment

In addition to Umon's (amazingly excellent) recommendations, I'd also recommend getting Heavenly Sword, or at least renting it. It's short nature might suit it more to a rental, otherwise yeah, give it a go. =P

Comment

Working...
                              X