X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SH5 looks like Silent Hill

My fears are eased a bit

And mine not.
    The first and third screen - I would say those comes from RE rather than Silent Hill. The toiler is too clear. And that's the main problem with SH5 and The Collective - they can't recreate the look of Silent Hill. All those locations they have showed are too tidy, too sterile. Those are nothing like, for example, the toilet from the beginning of SH2.

And what the hell is with this monster from second screen. When I first saw it, I almost laugh :/. Monster's design, at least those shown on screenshots and arts, simply sucks.
    Last edited by Mr_Zombie; 02-19-2008, 06:35 AM.

Comment

I agree with Mr_Zombie, these screens show a complete lack of atmosphere. They look so generic, so run of the mill horror. They remind me more of F.E.A.R. or Condemned than Silent Hill. I know i've done nothing but bitch about Silent Hill for the past while, but it's only 'cause Silent Hill was one of the best series' in gaming for a long while. Seeing the direction it has taken is sad, in my opinion. I really do hope Silent Hill V is a good game, and even more so, that it's a good Silent Hill game, but i'm finding it hard to believe that it will be now.

Comment

Yeah it's not gritty enough everything way to clean looks more like alone in the dark.
        If he had a brain, he'd be dangerous.

sigpic

Comment

Wow!!!!! Awesome!!!!!!!!! i can't wait SH5!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Maybe its clear and clean looking because the graphics are pumped up.
            Maybe 2-3 are gritty due to the PS2's limitations.
            Maybe the filter hasn't been added yet.

I think it has a better monster design than 4.

Comment

Well yeah...
              They were practically...ghosts.
              The dogs were RE ripoffs...
              As I said, though (I think). I hate the white/silver enemies, it's too clean. Dark Colours = Scary. Shiny Colours = Fail.
              I also think the one with the hand tounge is sorta...bad.

"Wow! He has legs on his back and hands for a tounge! That's gonna be scary!"

Seriously, it's like the quote from some FAQ about Claire.

"Capcom Developer 1: We should make Claire a biker!
              Capcom Developer 2: But she looks like a man!
              Capcom Developer 1: Then we should make her suite pink!
              Capcom Developer 2: Genious!"

Comment

Originally posted by BLSR1 View Post
                Maybe its clear and clean looking because the graphics are pumped up.
                Maybe 2-3 are gritty due to the PS2's limitations.
                Well, on PC you could set up high resolution, so everything would be crisp, and SH3 still looked better (and was more dirty) than SH5. It's about textures, number of items and design. SH3 had great textures for characters, so they looked more real than the ones in lots of next-gen games (only with less polygons)

(on the left is a model of Alex's father)

And if the "pumped up" graphics means the game lose Silent Hill feel, than I would rather have worse graphics.
                Last edited by Mr_Zombie; 02-20-2008, 05:42 PM.

Comment

Silent Hill 3 for the win.

Comment

It's scary how good Douglas looks. Team Silent did some pretty amazing things for there time, pity they never got the recognition they deserved.

Comment

I'm sure Team Silent will come back.
                      I've completed 2 Team Silent Silent Hill games, 1 from Climax.
                      I yet to complete Silent Hill and Silent Hill 4, but I hate the fact you are not even safe in the apartment in 4...
                      And I can't remember where I was on Silent Hill 1...
                      I do say though, Silent Hill 3 is the best out of them all.
                      I wish to see Heather again, though I doubt they will continue her story line now...Until Team Silent come back, of course. ;)

Comment

I doubt we'll see anything further about Heather, at least not directly. Perhaps we will hear something about her, much like we hear about James in Silent Hill 4.

As for Team Silent, it's in an ackward position. I may as well give a rough history of the team.

After Konami saw the success of Resident Evil, they commissioned the creation of a horror game. The game was made by a team consisting of "outcasts" within Konami Japan who volunteered to work on the project. After Silent Hill 1, the director of the game, Keiichiro Toyama, left the company along with a few other team members. They then went to Sony and worked on (Forbidden) Siren for the Playstation 2. Konami requested a second Silent Hill be created after the popularity. A few more people joined the team, and Silent Hill 2 was done.

After that, Takayoshi Sato left Konami. It's important to note that he was a key figure in the creation of Silent Hill 1 and 2, and he alone did all of the CGI for Silent Hill 1 (for which he and the game won an award). Konami then requested a third Silent Hill be created, to which many of the then current members of the team skipped. Only a few people from Silent Hill 2 worked on Silent Hill 3, with several new team members brought on.

After Silent Hill 3, the team was put on a hiatus, and split around Konami to work on several other projects. A few of the members began working on a new horror title, for which many of the Team members circa Silent Hill 2 returned. Although this began as a new horror title, Konami demanded it be turned into a Silent Hill title, for fear of placing a new IP onto the market so late into a console cycle.

Even though most of the team was made up of Team Silent members (whether it be current or old) the game was not branded as a Team Silent game, so if we are to be literal, Team Silent hasn't made a game since 2003. At the minute, most of the team has been absorbed into other projects, with only Yamaoka, Ito and Owaku are still involved with the series. I'd assume that most of the team are working on Mezel Gulp Kuk 4, so until that's done, they probably dont even have enough time to sit down together and throw ideas at each other.

Comment

Add that damn grain filter already! It feels so plastic. The Collective really needs to get get its' act together. Still, I'm planning on giving the game a chance when it's released, though I'm not getting my hopes up.
                          BTW, the street areas remind me more of Raccoon City than Silent Hill.

Comment

This looks incredibly tame.

Probably the best shot there.

They've already broken a few rules. Firstly, you do not show the contents of the body bags. =p
                            PROJECT Umbrella - The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium

Comment

Originally posted by randomwab View Post

I'd assume that most of the team are working on Mezel Gulp Kuk 4, so until that's done, they probably dont even have enough time to sit down together and throw ideas at each other.
                              I doubt that. Kojima's team has always consisted of people from his own R&D department so if anything, the SH team members are working on games like PES and other that KCET produced.

It may sound corporate (and it does), I don't blame the parent company. SH3 didn't sell well and the 4th game did even worse. With the dwindling popularity of the horror genre that was seemingly accelerated after 2001, there is little incentive to dedicate a big budget and get their best people on board.

They haven't gone the RE4 route so they clearly care about the existing fan base. We'll see how it goes, and if it gives the series a new lease on life, it wouldn't be so bad. If it does well enough, maybe they'll get the old team together for a sequel.

And this concludes my last post on these boards. Good day.

Comment

Working...
                              X