Earth Hour

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Earth Hour

On March 29, 2008 at 8 p.m., join millions of people around the world in making a statement about climate change by turning off your lights for Earth Hour, an event created by the World Wildlife Fund.

Earth Hour was created by WWF in Sydney, Australia in 2007, and in one year has grown from an event in one city to a global movement. In 2008, millions of people, businesses, governments and civic organizations in nearly 200 cities around the globe will turn out for Earth Hour. More than 100 cities across North America will participate, including the US flagships–Atlanta, Chicago, Phoenix and San Francisco and Ottawa, Montreal, Toronto and Vancouver.

We invite everyone throughout North America and around the world to turn off the lights for an hour starting at 8 p.m. (your own local time)–whether at home or at work, with friends and family or solo, in a big city or a small town.

What will you do when the lights are off? We have lots of ideas.

Join people all around the world in showing that you care about our planet and want to play a part in helping to fight climate change. Don’t forget to sign up and let us know you want to join Earth Hour.

One hour, America. Earth Hour. Turn out for Earth Hour!
    So, going to google.com will inform you of this.

Earth Hour is a worldwide movement happening tonight at 8PM (various timezones... whenever it's 8PM where you live). All you have to do... is shut off the lights! Turn off appliances, computers, everything from 8PM to 9PM in your respective timezone.

Join us again next year for Earth Hour 2025 on Saturday, the 22nd of March at 8:30 pm your local time as we create the Biggest Hour for Earth.

(Due to popularity, that site might load pretty slow)

So at 8PM, I'm shutting off everything for an hour. Anyone else doing this?

~Weed
    Last edited by Weed; 03-29-2008, 11:41 AM.

wow!!! awesome!! i'll help!!! yay!!

i hope i remember to turn off the lights!!!
    Last edited by RE-Hiro; 03-29-2008, 11:44 AM.

Comment

Christ no!

Everyones trying to cash in on climate change one way or another.

Where clutching at straws. Nothing we do or don't do will make a difference.

How about we all just top oursleves.? Just think of all the air we will be saving (no longer breathing) and energy we will no longer use becuase we have ceased to be?

You know it makes sense

Comment

I think we can make a difference, and normally would support this...but the WWF are far more interested in cash than in doing any good, and so won't support this one.

Comment

I liked the black background on Google, was awesome , but I honestly didn't do this...>_>

Comment

I don't think anything's going to change unless majority of the first-world industrial countries join in to. D:
            Seibu teh geimu?
            ---

Comment

still bright over here in nyc

haha WWF.. brings back memories of watching wrestling as a kid (though i know this isn't the same wwf )

Comment

Originally posted by en masse murder View Post
                Christ no!

Everyones trying to cash in on climate change one way or another.
                I think we can make a difference, and normally would support this...but the WWF are far more interested in cash than in doing any good, and so won't support this one.
                Did I miss something? The World Wildlife Fund is a nonprofit organization dedicated to protecting endangered species and climate. They aren't allowed to make money off of it... where did you get that from?

If it's coming from the lawsuit between WWE and WWF then you obviously have no idea what happened there.

Comment

I think he's looking at WWF from a corporate perspective, its no secret they generate 111+ million dollars a year, and have multiple partnerships with conglomerates who's enviromental records are less then squeaky clean, allowing them to trade in on the WWF logo in their marketing campaigns etc which thus earns more revenue for the corporation.
                  Its clearly obvious not all of it is going to the right causes so it can easily be accused of profiting as a business.

That and all the WWF volunteers I know are jerkoffs, the earthhour thing wasn't even publicised where I live in London, I didn't see a single billboard campaign or news bulletin.

EDIT: I also strongly believe that if allowed to grow and prosper, trees will become sentient beings and enslave the human race, huzzah for lumberjacks, fighting the war against nature.
                  Last edited by The Dude; 04-06-2008, 06:53 PM.

Comment

En Masse Murder, you first :p

I hope you don't live up to your username to try and prevent climate change!

Comment

I completely missed this. I would have liked to participate

Comment

Originally posted by Dot50Cal View Post
                        I completely missed this. I would have liked to participate
                        Maybe next year!!

Comment

I did do it. Well, I was sick that day, so to be more accurate, my sister turned off everything.

Comment

Working...
                          X