PDA

View Full Version : Scariest horror movies

Baiohazădo
04-08-2008, 01:59 AM
.,/

biohazard_star
04-08-2008, 04:20 AM
Cannibal horror/suspense movies. Do I even need to explain?

I'm looking at you The Hills Have Eyes, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, and Wrong Turn. You all make me want to puke, especially part two of the latter. Hostel, too. :blargh:

:waga waga

TheSelfishGene
04-08-2008, 05:25 AM
I think the scariest movie I've ever seen is They.

The facehugger attack in the first Alien film still makes me flinch. Just that sound the damned thing makes... That movie, and the original Texas Chainsaw I love to watch, not because they are scary, but they are more psychological horror.

Gradon
04-08-2008, 09:17 AM
Hostel 1/2, Saw 1/2/3/4.
All those films, oh my God, I just can't watch them, and the way the movies/traps are set up, it's actually quite scary? o.o

RE-Hiro
04-08-2008, 11:29 AM
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre was really scary.
Vacancy was pretty scary too; i remember a few days later i went out of town to a criminology congress... and i pray the hotel was safety, hahaha

Darkmoon
04-09-2008, 12:52 AM
The movie that scared me worst was the Ring. I watched the damned thing in the dark right after watching 28 Days Later...and as the credits rolled my girlfriend rang. That was pretty damned unnerving.

delage
04-09-2008, 06:09 AM
when i was a kid, the 2 films that really scared me were Alien and Poltergeist, especially the bath scene of Poltergeist with the guy doing a thorough peeling session :P, and it also made me dislike clowns.

The last film that really scared me was the Orphanage, I remember getting out of the cinema very freaked out, I much prefer the psychological horror movies more than gory ones.

Scream
04-09-2008, 07:47 AM
The scariest ones (or the ones that gave me a strange feeling) are the ones I watched when I was young (7 to 10 I guess), all before RE..

Candyman. It gave me nightmares the first time I saw it. The second time a couple of years after it kept me awake all night. That was a long night haha... That final scene at the end when the woman came back just freaked me out lol.

The original Dawn of the Dead gave me a really weird feeling - like what the hell is wrong with these human beings? Prelude to RE I guess lol. I remember just thinking about the motorcycle guys being ripped apart..

Right now there are always films that make me think, but none that give me those same feelings. I guess I've gotten used to the current presentation of movies, when VR or something else begins I'm sure that will change :)

Helegad
04-11-2008, 06:18 AM
I don't particuarly like gory movies, but the Aliens were pretty good, they tried to be scary, and in some parts succeeded, but as the series went on, the scares gave way to more sci-fi sort of parts.

Scariest movie though? Can't really vouch for any 'scariest' ones. I don't particuarly get scared by movies, only really jump-out-of-the-seat in the BOO! bits.

I'm going to see the Shutter remake later this year. Can't wait for it, the ads really make it look like a do-not-see-at-night flick...

Hcloud13
04-12-2008, 07:54 PM
Evil Dead at 2 in the morning....

Helegad
04-12-2008, 11:21 PM
Hcloud, sounds good to me! :p

babydome
04-14-2008, 09:57 AM
Watched a movie called Jack Ketchums: The Lost this weekend. My goodnes is all I can say, its been a really long time since I watched a movie that I could'nt immediately forget about, this movie is so twisted that you mind can't stop dwelling on it. But at least it was good, so I dont mind.

I was able to find this trailer on YT...jeez you have no idea how hard it is to search for something with a name as generic as "the lost"...but this did turn up and I'm pretty sure that its the official trailer:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5uKmN3mwQ0

RE-Hiro
04-14-2008, 02:50 PM
Yesterday went to the movies and watched The mist... was pretty scary, but the end was pretty weird... sad... stupid... i don't know; i can't describe it....

Puma1
04-14-2008, 10:59 PM
Hmm... I think the only movie that made me feel 100% uncomfortable watching it as a kid was George A. Romero's Day of the Dead. Sure I was really young but it was in your face gore; first time I saw dismemberment and it left me feeling sick. I loved that feeling and it made me want to go into film. Choke on it, choke on it!

I was also one of the young kids who got freaked out by the Poltergeist peeling scene.

Recently, I've seen so much gore and horror flicks that it's hard to come by a flick. I have two though. Anyone seen Audition? That movie seriously left me sickened. The idea of opening up and then bam just scared the hell out of me. The torture scenes that drag on also makes it so uncomfortable due to the way they are shot (you don't see much gore though). And even though this doesn't qualify as horror, I had lot's a fun with Clover field. It wasn't a scared emotion though, it was more like shooting up adrenaline and anxiety.

Helegad
04-14-2008, 11:02 PM
Yeah, Cloverfield was good. Love the way it was shot. Original.

SlurmsMackenzie
04-15-2008, 08:25 AM
Yesterday went to the movies and watched The mist... was pretty scary, but the end was pretty weird... sad... stupid... i don't know; i can't describe it....

So pretty much like the end of 'It"?

Gradon
04-15-2008, 08:50 AM
HATE! HATE! HATE IT!
That Clown gave me nightmares...

MarkGrass
04-15-2008, 09:20 AM
The most psychologically disturbing film I have ever seen is "American Psyco".

The movie doesn't exactly classify as a true horror film, but those who have seen it will know why I say it's "the most psychologically disturbing film I have ever seen".

Horror films have and will always remain my favorite movie genre, so I love and grew up on them all... Hellraiser, Friday the 13th, Nightmare, Night of the Living Dead, House of 1000 Corpses, 28 Days Later, etc. You name it, I like it (except for newer cheesy teen-horror flicks like "When a stranger calls", etc).

In term of "scariest", for me that would have to be the Hellraiser or Friday series. They're not scary to me now, but being forced to watch them as a child gave me profound nightmares.

The absolute WORST I would say is the "Chucky" series... Rated R for "retarded".

Helegad
04-15-2008, 10:18 AM
Chucky is cool! His first three movies anyway... Like, they're more thriller than action though.

His one-liners are memorable:
Grandma: "Ugly doll..."
Chucky: "Fuck you"

Chucky: "No, please, Andy... We're friends till the end, remember?"
Andy: "This is the end, friend." (that one was kinda stupid)

"How's it hangin', Phil?"
"You've been veeerrry naughty, Ms. Kettlewell..." (that one made me laugh so much)

MarkGrass
04-15-2008, 11:34 AM
Hands down, i'll give ya that one - Chucky is hilarious at times. I love the way he cussed people...

Another horror icon that cussed people that I found to be hilarious was "Freddy Krueger" - "Sweet dreams, bitch."

Puma1
04-15-2008, 03:47 PM
The most psychologically disturbing film I have ever seen is "American Psyco".

The movie doesn't exactly classify as a true horror film, but those who have seen it will know why I say it's "the most psychologically disturbing film I have ever seen".

Really? Disturbing? I actually enjoyed the hell out of it and found the dark humor hilarious. In fact, after I saw the movie I read the book, and it is probably one of my favorites if not my favorite book of all time.

In term of "scariest", for me that would have to be the Hellraiser or Friday series. They're not scary to me now, but being forced to watch them as a child gave me profound nightmares.

Hellraiser kicks ass. The concept is really disturbing, and I love Pinhead. The Hellbound Heart book is really good (better than the film if not for the fact that it doesn't have Pinhead). Clive Barker is a nice guy too, I met him at a book signing where he signed the Hellbound Heart, his new book, and a message to my friend Gina saying I could be worse.

MarkGrass
04-15-2008, 03:59 PM
I actually enjoyed the hell out of it and found the dark humor hilarious.

It's hip to be square!

What disturbed me about that movie is the fact that the main character could be ANYONE.

Hellraiser kicks ass. The concept is really disturbing, and I love Pinhead.

I second that. The concept of unleashing actual demons from hell through a puzzle box is amazing. I love how Pinhead "judges" souls, so to speak... and damn, does he and his cynobites do it well.

nemesis_lover
04-15-2008, 05:36 PM
i'd go for 28 weeks later as the kinda horror film to make me think and make myself scared by thinking of scenes and what if they happend to me (btw i live in London, so walking around in London, feels like being in the film) :O
But a scary moment would have to be Alien, when the captain is in the air ducts and the crew are watching a little screen with the dot of the captain and the dot of the alien coming towards them. God i was thinking "let me go into the ducts and save him" or from actually not possibley being able to be in the film i thought "GOD DAM, GET IN THERE WITH YOUR GUNS BEFORE THE CAPTAIN GETS IT".

FeurMensch
04-15-2008, 09:20 PM
I think 'An American Werewolf in London' is one of the scarier ones, but mostly all horror movies to me aren't even scary. I just watch for the monsters....

Helegad
04-16-2008, 10:29 AM
Yeah, loved the first Alien. Really tense.

I vividly remember when Ripley tries to abort the self-destruct.

Ripley: "Mother, I've turned the cooling systems back on! MOTHER!"
"*computer says something about continuing the self-destruction system*"
Ripley: "YOU BITCH!" *she smashes a TV screen*

nemesis_lover
04-17-2008, 07:44 AM
lol gd scene

MarkGrass
04-17-2008, 02:37 PM
In fact, after I saw the movie I read the book, and it is probably one of my favorites if not my favorite book of all time.

I took your [unspoken] advice, and bought the book (American Psyco)... wil tell my thoughts after reading. :D

Puma1
04-17-2008, 04:53 PM
I took your [unspoken] advice, and bought the book (American Psyco)... wil tell my thoughts after reading. :D

That's awesome. Remember though it's supposed to be a satire on the 80s. Most people forget that that's the primary goal of the book.

FeurMensch
04-17-2008, 10:00 PM
like I said, you guys should look into 'An American Werewolf in London'. It's awesome and the werewolf TF is the best ever made!

here is a video of the transformation below in the spoiler
http://youtube.com/watch?v=jlSzCSBrWQ4

Here's the trailer as well http://youtube.com/watch?v=P9P9JKVRxMA&feature=related

Puma1
04-17-2008, 11:11 PM
Don't worry FeurMensch, most of us have seen it. I've seen it multiple times and made my family see it (it that good). Plus the transformation scene is the best one ever and one of the best scenes of all time. Period. Blue moon.

Helegad
04-18-2008, 04:35 AM
Sounds good. Can't stream YouTube on dialup though :(

SlurmsMackenzie
04-18-2008, 08:25 AM
Obviously,this is one of the scariest movie ever made
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlufxatPxnA

I mean,Jesus Christ

Puma1
04-18-2008, 12:31 PM
Obviously,this is one of the scariest movie ever made
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlufxatPxnA

I mean,Jesus Christ

I don't know what's worse. That scene or when Freddy Krueger kills someone by sucking him in a videogame and killing him there where Freddy spews out: "Good graphics." o_o:nervous:

Helegad
04-18-2008, 11:22 PM
God, that sounds dumb.

BLSR1
04-19-2008, 10:00 PM
Yeah, Cloverfield was good. Love the way it was shot. Original.

Yes...Original

http://www.filmreference.com/images/sjff_01_img0066.jpg
&
http://www.zoom-in.com/media/graphics/blog/content/diary-of-the-dead.jpg <- Was made before cloverfield. Still sucks.

Helegad
04-19-2008, 10:03 PM
Diary Of The Dead was after Cloverfield, AFAIK. Forgot about the Blair Witch Project though. But TBWP was more horror, while Cloverfield was more action/thriller.

Enigma_632
04-19-2008, 10:08 PM
Blair witch was awesome.

Helegad
04-19-2008, 10:10 PM
I've heard it's crap. But I shouldn't jump the gun until I've seen it.

Darkmoon
04-20-2008, 06:02 AM
If you have an active imagination then the Blair Witch will be good. It plays off people's minds much more than usual, and scares you with what you don't see.

Helegad
04-20-2008, 07:48 AM
Hmmm... sound interesting. I'll give it a go oneday.

PS: I played a demo of BW: Rustin Parr, and it sucked dick! What a load of shit, I couldn't work out what to do or what any of the controls were :billy:

Puma1
04-20-2008, 09:38 PM
Cloverfield was original in the sense that they took the traditional monster movie and gave it a new perspective. It also didn't feel gimmicky.

I think the Blair Witch was a terrible film. Saw it when I was little and I still though it sucked. But I applaud the effort, no sarcasm.

Enigma_632
04-21-2008, 06:57 PM
If you have an active imagination then the Blair Witch will be good. It plays off people's minds much more than usual, and scares you with what you don't see.

Much like how I feel about Silent Hill.

Helegad
04-22-2008, 04:03 AM
Silent Hill had a really good sense of paranoia about it. The school especially when you can't see all the way down the corridor with your flashlight.

Corrin
04-22-2008, 06:28 PM
I think the most frightening movie I've ever seen is Eraserhead. What a goddamned uncomfortable film. I don't think I could ever watch it again.

Darkmoon
04-23-2008, 01:34 AM
Yeah, that's why I prefer Silent Hill to Resident Evil. Especially the newest one. It doesn't ask you to use your imagination at all.

Helegad
04-27-2008, 09:38 PM
Resident Evil doesn't either. Point and shoot! :P

Claire Redfield
04-28-2008, 11:54 AM
The Ring scared me. Jaws, Poltergeist, Alien, and Child's Play scared me when I was little.

bungholio
04-28-2008, 11:36 PM
The last time I saw a movie that scared me was Ravenous. I don't like the thought of cannibalism much, especially some nut in the 1800 era butchering and eating countless pioneers in a cave.

The Thing is also scary when you're 10. I also saw one I think was called Forbidden Planet. It was about some flesh eating alien eating people on another planet.

JurassicUtility
04-29-2008, 07:42 PM
I'd agree whole-heatedly with the TC on The Shining. That has to be the most classy horror horror film ever made.
I shed a tear for Kubrick's demise. :'(

I'd also like to give 1982's The Thing some props.
For one thing, it was a remake of a good film that didn't suck. And for another it had some damn impressive non-CGI special effects. :uhh:

Puma1
04-29-2008, 08:00 PM
The Thing is filled with so many impressive visuals it's crazy. The god scene, the blood test scene, the arm bitting scene.

Dot50Cal
04-30-2008, 01:35 AM
The only one I can really recall that gave me nightmares was Poltergeist. I specifically recall watching that when I was really young and seeing the little girl fall into the puddle in the parking garage. As a kid, I avoided puddles in parking garages from then on :lol:

As for my favorite horror movies, mine are The Thing and The Shining. Both are excellent.

MarkGrass
04-30-2008, 02:30 AM
Ah, The Shining.

The secluded atmosphere alone is creepy. Throw a developing and eventual ax-wielding psyco-maniac into the mix, you've got an instant horror classic that still stands the test of time. I ONLY like the version with Jack Nicholson, the remakes were shite IMO.

I think the Blair Witch was a terrible film.

I tend to agree, but strongly disagree. It was a psycological horror, and of course, you have to use your imagination to illusion the true horror. They could have done a much better job with some certain aspects, but I truely admired the effort they put into the characters. Seeing them evolve from happy thrill-seeking hikers to becomming the hunted (of what can only be heard, not seen) and simply becoming terrorfied almost to the point of insanity is an applaudible effort, IMO.

Here's a film I don't think anyone has mentioned and I will porbably get laughed at, but here it is: Cabin Fever

While the film is not scary in any sense, really, the fact that the characters in the film eventually turn on each other is kinda disturbing to me. Instead of seeking help (which they could have easily done by hiking), they decided to stay in the cabin... eventually, cabin fever set in and they start killing each other because of the flesh-eating disease the had been infected with. The movie is actually pretty hilarious at times aswell (Bart's character comes to mind...).

Dot50Cal
04-30-2008, 05:23 AM
The multi-part remake? Yeah, I saw a bit of it on Sci-Fi a while back and it was pretty bad. The original is unbeatable imo :)

Puma1
04-30-2008, 04:49 PM
I tend to agree, but strongly disagree. It was a psycological horror, and of course, you have to use your imagination to illusion the true horror. They could have done a much better job with some certain aspects, but I truely admired the effort they put into the characters. Seeing them evolve from happy thrill-seeking hikers to becomming the hunted (of what can only be heard, not seen) and simply becoming terrorfied almost to the point of insanity is an applaudible effort, IMO.

But not only is it not the first movie to show a drastic change from thrillseekers to being hunted, many films just do it so much better. But to each his opinion I guess.

Project Omega
04-30-2008, 05:13 PM
The only part that freaked me out in the Blair Witch movie was the ending, where the people were facing the corners like the "witch" used to make her kids... There was something alittle unsettling about that for me... Spooky even..

As for my favorite scary movies? I've been starting to get into the Japanese horror movies since I like how they aren't your typical "good guys win in the end" kind of movies. Movies like the Juon (the Grudge over here), Juon 2, Ringu, etc, freak me out because in those movies the good guys don't win. It gives the illusion that they do as the end approaches, but then the story twists and you realize it's not over and then the movie ends.

I also like the good use of light and darkness to create atmosphere :)

MarkGrass
04-30-2008, 07:27 PM
The only part that freaked me out in the Blair Witch movie was the ending, where the people were facing the corners like the "witch" used to make her kids... There was something alittle unsettling about that for me... Spooky even..

Ditto, that was some pretty creepy shit.

Oh, and it's nice to see you getting involved into the scene again, PO! :D

nemesis_lover
05-01-2008, 09:58 AM
[QUOTE=Project Omega;27471]The only part that freaked me out in the Blair Witch movie was the ending, where the people were facing the corners like the "witch" used to make her kids... There was something alittle unsettling about that for me... Spooky even..QUOTE]

That's also a key part of the movie that comes to mind.
Reading about The Thing, as made me bother to search for my VHS copy to watch it tonight :)

MarkGrass
05-04-2008, 07:57 AM
@Puma1 - I'm not done reading American Psyco, yet. I'm only on the "Video Store then D'Agostino's" chapter (the one right after Luis talks about "hicks" and Bateman apologizes for the Pastel pizza comments)... coincidentally, the movie was on last night, so I decided to watch it again.

I'm not quite sure why every scene is rearranged in the movie, but I found that I couldn't stop laughing my ass off, at times. You're right - the dark humor is there, I just somehow failed to see it before. Before I started reading the book, I thought the movie was simply about a nutcase that goes on a killing rampage and never gets caught. It wasn't until I started reading the book that I started to get a sense for and appreciate the black humor.

The movie is a true satire on the 1980's, again, I failed to see it before. Excellent book... if the opening chapter can't buy you into reading it, then it would be safe to say that you weren't born in or have no true knowledge of the 1980s.

PS - The things these guys say and do to "street bums" in this book is pure evil (giving them money, immediately taking it back, etc)... still, I couldn't help but to laugh at the top of my lungs when reading it. Does that make me bad?

rewak
05-04-2008, 10:47 AM
Hard Candy. Dunno if you'd call it a horror film, but its tense, the only film i've ever seen where i felt like i was gonna throw up.

Puma1
05-04-2008, 06:51 PM
@MarkGrass

It doesn't make you bad. Somehow the books manages to make the most horrible things funny as hell. Later on there is a scene involving the zoo, a boy, and a cookie which is deliciously evil. But I'm glad you got into the book because it's one of my favorites. I also got my hands on the killer collector edition of the film too. I'm pretty sure you read it already but how did you like the scene in the elevator with Tom Cruise?

MarkGrass
05-05-2008, 06:24 PM
I really didn't have a very strong opinion of it, as surprising as that is, even to myself. I kinda laughed when Bateman insulted him a little by forgetting the title of his current block-buster (intentional?), but the main laugh of the scenario to me was when Bateman's nose starts to bleed from substance abuse (again... ). :rollseyes

aris13
08-23-2008, 03:04 PM
The Thing and Halloween - both directed by John Carpenter

Stars1356
08-23-2008, 05:18 PM
Yes the Thing and probably Aliens.

Twist
08-24-2008, 08:38 AM
Darkness Falls scared the hell out of me. I had the volume up LOUD and was alone in the house with most of the bedroom doors open and all of the lights out, and when the scene of the kid running into the bathroom after seeing the Tooth Fairy took place, and she lets out that high-pitched agonising scream, I damn near shit my pants.

Mr. Spencer
08-27-2008, 11:49 AM
The vast majority of films directed by David Cronenberg. The best kind of horror is body horror.

Biocore
08-27-2008, 01:58 PM
The Thing.

hands down best horror film and concept of all time.

Aliens wasn't the least bit scary, it turned a franche from horror genre to action genre, much like how Biohazard 4 transformed Resident Evil into an action genre. Unlike Resident Evil 4 though, Aliens was awesome. I've watched Aliens more times than any other film in history. I can litterally sit down, watch it, then rewatch it.

Mr. Spencer
08-27-2008, 02:47 PM
The Thing.

hands down best horror film and concept of all time.

Aliens wasn't the least bit scary, it turned a franche from horror genre to action genre, much like how Biohazard 4 transformed Resident Evil into an action genre. Unlike Resident Evil 4 though, Aliens was awesome. I've watched Aliens more times than any other film in history. I can litterally sit down, watch it, then rewatch it.

God, I love The Thing. Every horror fan, and in a sense every Biohazard fan, needs to watch that film. Part of me is convinced that the "thing" itself was an inspiration for the Birkin mutation in RE2. What's great about it is that back then you didn't really have CGI or any of that nonsense, you didn't have actors looking at a green screen and talking to something that they have to imagine being there. No, what you see there actually existed, it was there in all of its hideous glory. Same goes with Aliens, the Queen was all done via animatronics, and it looks superb, much better than the CGI-crazed latter films we're witnessing today.

Unbeatable.

himher_elle
08-27-2008, 03:51 PM
The scary movie wich I love is El Orfanato (The Orphanage - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqqcBkpmsSA), from the director of The Pan's Labyrinth (also a great movie, but not a horror movie), Guillermo del Toro.

Twist
08-28-2008, 12:17 AM
God, I love The Thing. Every horror fan, and in a sense every Biohazard fan, needs to watch that film. Part of me is convinced that the "thing" itself was an inspiration for the Birkin mutation in RE2. What's great about it is that back then you didn't really have CGI or any of that nonsense, you didn't have actors looking at a green screen and talking to something that they have to imagine being there. No, what you see there actually existed, it was there in all of its hideous glory. Same goes with Aliens, the Queen was all done via animatronics, and it looks superb, much better than the CGI-crazed latter films we're witnessing today.

Unbeatable.

Exactly!

CGI can go kill itself, animatronics and special FX always looked better, IMO.

And speaking of Resident Evil and The Thing, I bet Nosferatu used inspiration from The Thing because:

1: He's in the Antartic.

And 2: He has those nasty things coming out of his back.

Gideon Quinn
08-29-2008, 11:27 AM
Tale of Two Sisters is a very creepy film. Obviously i adore Aliens and The Thing, but neither truly disturbed me in the same way TOTS did. Also, it's not a horror movie, but Memories of Murder - That also left me sleepless for days. Very very sinister film.

Has anyone seen "The Strangers"? It's only just been released here in the UK, but i heard it came out in May over in the States. The trailer looked pretty creepy.

Twist
08-29-2008, 12:10 PM
^ Whats so creepy about Tale of Two Sisters, Gideon?

I havn't seen it, but with it not being horror, I can't see why it's disturbed you so much...

Gideon Quinn
08-29-2008, 01:29 PM
Oh, it is very much a horror film, but not in the conventional sense. It's very psychological and plays upon some really sinister concepts... I want to emphasise, but i'm not sure how i can without utterly spoiling the film.

Edit - Sorry, i guess my wording was a bit muddled up. I was saying that Memories of Murder isn't a horror film, but still very disturbing since it's about South Korea's first ever serial killer in the 1980s and based upon the true story of it.

Twist
08-30-2008, 03:30 AM
Oh, it is very much a horror film, but not in the conventional sense. It's very psychological and plays upon some really sinister concepts... I want to emphasise, but i'm not sure how i can without utterly spoiling the film.

Edit - Sorry, i guess my wording was a bit muddled up. I was saying that Memories of Murder isn't a horror film, but still very disturbing since it's about South Korea's first ever serial killer in the 1980s and based upon the true story of it.

I'm probably never going to see the movie anyway, so spoilers are good. : D