PDA

View Full Version : to 360 owners:

BLSR1
04-08-2008, 09:19 PM
I may have a way to help prevent RRoD.

If you look under your console you'll see 2 vents underneath. RRoD is generally caused by overheating. Right? So what if part of the problem is those vents being covered up?

My solution is to elevate the console off the ground. Get a block or some books or anything that will support it's weight. Make sure its small enough to not cover the vents.

This may or may not work but It can't hurt to try. Im doing it.

FeurMensch
04-08-2008, 10:14 PM
My brother modded a PC cooling fan so it can be used via a normal wall outlet, and we use it to cool off our new 360. I must say it works rather well as the 360 is always ice cold now. One downside is that the fan is kinda noisy, but that's ok.... just crank the volume up!!

Oh and my bro said RRoD isn't just from heat, but rather any type of hardware failure such as blown capacitors or a loose solder point. He says you guys should try this out as "it's better than any other inter cooler you can buy at the store", which was quoted by him. He also recommends to stay away from the Nyko coolers as they can malfunction and void your warranty.

Project Omega
04-08-2008, 10:18 PM
I have a mini fan blowing into my 360 to provider cooler air :) Not the crappy ones that attach to the system, just a small high speed desk fan :D

FeurMensch
04-08-2008, 10:24 PM
I would use the fan as the added draw at the back of the system make for more air flow in the system as more is pulled in from the other vents.

EDIT: Another reason our 360 is running cooler is because we have the "Falcon" revision (with HDMI).

Project Omega
04-08-2008, 10:31 PM
Yeah, HDMI on the 360 rocks (when compared to the old days of using the regular a/v set of cables). I wanted to get the X-Box 360 Elite version, but when I bought my X-Box, it was before I got my first HD big screen (50" DLP; my old TV was a 32" SDTV).

FeurMensch
04-09-2008, 01:44 AM
We have a 32'' CRT 1080i HDTV. I want to figure out how to update it's firmware to 1080p.....

EDIT:Though the Xbox360 video output through component video isn't that much different than HDMI from what I can tell.

The Dude
04-09-2008, 07:32 PM
I find theres alot of difference between them, enough to warrant me getting a 360 Elite anyway, beginning to get one or two errors on my current 360.

Umon Daisuke
04-09-2008, 08:34 PM
We have a 32'' CRT 1080i HDTV. I want to figure out how to update it's firmware to 1080p.....

EDIT:Though the Xbox360 video output through component video isn't that much different than HDMI from what I can tell.

Right about the edit. There isn't much content out there or TV's that support Deep Color and extra bandwidth that HDMI enables (on that note, the 360's older HDMI 1.2 doesn't support those anyway and games don't require them).

As for displaying 1080p on an existing 1080i CRT, it's not something a simple firmware update/hack enables. There has to be hardware to support upscanning, and a modified tube. Of course, the reason why CRT's are disappearing are the costs associated with making them support the high resolutions (even 720p upscanning is expensive). Imagine the size and weight of such a TV. OLED should bring back the brilliant black levels and hopefully motion reproduction of CRT's to the HDTV scene but we're a few years away (unless you settle for a 20" set).

The difference between the Elite and Pro aside from HDD size is nonexistent, unless you're comparing it to a pre-Elite launch Pro. I had an Elite fail last year, but with all units out there supporting the smaller die and HDMI, the chances of failure are less.

FeurMensch
04-09-2008, 11:27 PM
The Dude: The Core Xbox360 has HDMI output now as well.

Our other 360 had a optical drive failure and no longer reads any type of optical media because the motor died. Other than that, the system plays absolutely fine.

Umon Daisuke
04-09-2008, 11:49 PM
EDIT: needless elaboration.

The Dude
04-10-2008, 10:23 AM
I know the newer versions of the 360 have HDMI, however I may as well get an Elite as they're cheaper now and I need the drive space.

FeurMensch
04-10-2008, 11:14 PM
Those are $150 USD more and I heard that they still get RRoD more than the Arcade 360. I have 2 friends and their Elite systems RRoD'ed on them with 3 months of purchase.

The Dude
04-11-2008, 09:42 AM
Interesting, I know 2 people at uni who've had them since release, no problems yet.
Must be differences in quality in terms of mass production between the US and Europe.
Perhaps.

UK's had some decent price cuts with 360's.

FeurMensch
04-11-2008, 12:30 PM
The American Arcade 360 is $279 USD, the Elite is $450 USD. Plus all the systems are made in China, they just flash them with a different region kernel (firmware-ish).

How much do 360's cost by you, The Dude?

The Dude
04-12-2008, 07:33 PM
Arcade Pack: £159.99
Premium: £199.99
Elite: £259.99

I won my 360 in a TV Competition with a load of other gear (HDTV etc), so I can't bitch too much on prices though.
But im probably going to pick up an Elite in a month or so though.

Dot50Cal
04-13-2008, 01:07 AM
Seems like even Falcon's are getting RROD now. This whole situation is a massive cluster fuck. As soon as this one RROD's (hopefully while playing GTA4!1) I'm just selling the replacement I get unless its got the new chipset. Maybe down the road I'll buy a new one, but its just been too much.

Helegad
04-13-2008, 01:49 AM
Jesus, I tell my sister all this, yet she still wants one, and says it's "more powerful and cool looking than a PS3, plus it's cheaper!". I'm trying to persuade her to go halfs with me on a PS3, but to no avail. Not that I'm giving up though :)

EDIT: Yay! Now I'm a Neptune! :D

FeurMensch
04-13-2008, 10:27 PM
PS3 is more reliable and more powerful than a 360 in very way, just PS3 has cough*shit*cough games ATM.

Umon Daisuke
04-13-2008, 10:56 PM
Not enough games is more like it, since the vast majority of crappy titles are multiplatform (sans Lair of course). And the vast majority of worthy ones are typically multiplatform, so that leaves a handful of exclusives that are worth picking up the system for right now.

Personally, the same goes for both systems since my must-have exclusive list is small for both (right now, it's MGS4 and NGII for their respective systems).

Dot50Cal
04-13-2008, 11:20 PM
I hear Lair is getting an analog control patch. Do you think it'd be worth it to pick it up on a cheap with that? I mean are the controls the only thing that make the title that poor?

FeurMensch
04-13-2008, 11:25 PM
I haven't played Lair but I heard the controls are what made the game suck....

Helegad
04-14-2008, 08:57 AM
Lol, I turned the topic around to PS3/Lair chat.

I would only ever get a next-gen console ATM because of GTAIV coming out soon. If I had to get one, it would be a PS3, because the X-Box 360 is getting a downgraded version apparently.

The Dude
04-14-2008, 09:24 AM
No ones confirmed that.

Also, just on the GTA4 subject, 360 version is getting exclusive downloadable content.

Helegad
04-14-2008, 10:03 AM
True... but the game would have to be downgraded in some way, shape or form. The PS3's Blu-Ray disc is 28GB. The X-Box 360's disc is 9GB. Big difference...

The Dude
04-14-2008, 10:45 AM
True enough, however until its confirmed, im not really going to worry to much.

Helegad
04-14-2008, 10:07 PM
You know, I still haven't seen the fourth trailer. I hate dialup.

Borman
04-15-2008, 01:32 AM
I hear Lair is getting an analog control patch. Do you think it'd be worth it to pick it up on a cheap with that? I mean are the controls the only thing that make the title that poor?

Lair just got said patch :) Its up in the brand-new PSStore :D

Carnivol
04-15-2008, 05:07 AM
True... but the game would have to be downgraded in some way, shape or form. The PS3's Blu-Ray disc is 28GB. The X-Box 360's disc is 9GB. Big difference...

In what way would it be downgraded?
With some music and the majority of the duplicated data removed, Grand Theft Auto 3 for PS2 fits on a CD.

So far, multi-platform games haven't really used the Blu-Ray space for anything at all (with the exception of those filling it with either junk data or duplicate data). I'd hardly say any games at all on the PS3 have utilized the disc space for anything useful beyond just duplicate data to make up for the current shortcomings of the format. And if a game were to suddenly break that "trend" and still use all the space, it probably still would just be doing something that could be done perfectly fine on 1/3 of the space.

Dot50Cal recently had a tiny shock moment when he suddenly realized that the 512Mbits of Resident Evil 2 for the N64 takes up means it's only 64MB (and not 512MB). Sure, that thing did get some downgrades, but was also done nearly two years after initial release. Trimming the overall size down from about 1,2gb to 64mb. That's 1/20 of the game's original size.

Lair just got said patch :) Its up in the brand-new PSStore :D

I actually want to give Lair a go, but I somewhat expect it to be Rogue Squadron with a dragon-fantasy setting instead of carrying a Star Wars license. I dunno why, but in overall I think it's one of the games that might actually play well with the SIXAXIS controls. The game is at least on my purchase list IF a PS3 finds it way into my home, and I'd surely be giving it a go with the tilting before I even consider going analog.

Umon Daisuke
04-15-2008, 08:36 AM
I'd hardly say any games at all on the PS3 have utilized the disc space for anything useful beyond just duplicate data to make up for the current shortcomings of the format.

Right. LPCM audio up to 7.1 for one thing (with DTS thrown in too), and less inclination to cut or re-do assets to fit the disc. The whole replication issue got blown out of proportion (which Bethesda in particular said that they did the same on the 360 as well). Developers use that method even with CLV drives like DVD's. Some developers use the same loading algorithm for the CLV drive with BD and they end up replicating more data to compensate. It doesn't work well with the CAV drive, and you've got a messy situation like both of Capcom's PS3 games so far.

Clearly games like Resistance 2 and MGS4 are taking advantage of the space properly (I guess I'll be hearing how Kojima is full of shit now). Even NGS, a revision of an Xbox game used the space to add music that was cut from the original.

That's strictly for exclusive games, not multiplatform games that don't use the space at all like GTA4. Going with the lowest common denominator basically, much like the RAM issue on the PS3. We've seen the space isse restrict the scope of downloadable games on XBL vs the PSN (T5DR compressed took about 800MB). MS obliged and increased the cap for Capcom's games twice so far.

Compression algorithms improve as days go by, but extra space is always welcome and never useless. It is for multiplatform games however.

Helegad
04-15-2008, 11:38 AM
True... Most of the GTA games' space was occupied by audio anyway. I know for a fact that the PC install of San Andreas (w/ radio stations) is a 4.7GB portion. Only 1GB of that is for the data. The other 3.7 is for audio.

Rombie
04-15-2008, 12:12 PM
I'm going to guess there is some sort of compression or limited channels going on with the 360 version of GTA4. Basically the PS3 version has over 15GB of extra space going to waste if both versions are sitting at 9GB, and I can't see them not wanting to use it for higher quality audio. Only Rockstar will know at this stage though I guess.

Developers are space hungry and bitch about it a lot too.

Uncharted maxed out the 25GB disc (ND was complaining about that already), and as most people know MGS4's going to be the first dual layer BD game and there was the comments made by Kojima and Payton about the lack of space STILL (although to Payton's credit, they talked about how they attempted to plan out their use of the space and just ended up needing more than they expected).

Umon Daisuke
04-15-2008, 03:56 PM
They're likely sitting at 9GB each, or even less. To note a Capcom example, the audio quality for both DMC4 versions is the same. I'm inclined to believe that the install was a TON of duplicate data because the demo was the same size for both versions, and so was the audio quality at DD. Even with the LPCM option, the samples weren't as clean as say, NGS at DD only.

Umon Daisuke
04-16-2008, 07:53 AM

I keep hearing mixed reactions, and I missed the boat of picking up that game for cheap months ago when some stores were practically giving it away for $25 here.

I picked up Folklore instead, and it's worth every penny if you're into action RPG's.

Rombie
04-16-2008, 08:09 AM
They're likely sitting at 9GB each, or even less. To note a Capcom example, the audio quality for both DMC4 versions is the same. I'm inclined to believe that the install was a TON of duplicate data because the demo was the same size for both versions, and so was the audio quality at DD. Even with the LPCM option, the samples weren't as clean as say, NGS at DD only.

You're probably right. I just don't see much point in the costs required by the BD-space if you're not going to use whats avaliable. By that standard, aside from potential load stress, they could be putting multiformat games on dual-layed DVD's still.

MGS4 is fairly straight forward and I'm expecting the audio to be taking up the most of the 50GB on offer.

GTA4 puzzles me though... Rockstar has 18 radio stations, plus cutscene audio, ped voice, and all other audio and they have to fit that with a HD based game into less than 9GB. I makes me wonder what changes or sacrifices they've made to do that really.

Helegad
04-17-2008, 01:37 AM
Maybe they took a leaf out of the book of the people who made RE2 N64.

EDIT: Oh, shit yeah, now I'm Mr. X!