Tomb Raider Series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tomb Raider Series

I just bought Legend today for a bargain at $30 AUD! I've been enjoying it thoroughly so far, I'm up to the part where Lara's trying to get the Excalibur's tip from the Yakuza boss (that's a sexy dress too ). I'm stuck on the roof puzzle, can't get over to his building yet, but I will find the solution eventually. I'm determined to get through this TR without a walkthrough

What does everyone else think of this game?

BTW, I'm playing on PSP and the graphics are fantastic! Love 'em

(P.S: I wish they would bring the bloody price down on Anniversary for PSP. I'd love to see the remake, and how well they done it.)
    Last edited by Helegad; 04-18-2008, 04:40 AM.

Wasn't particularly fond with the series after Tomb Raider 2 but Legend revived the franchaise, the Anniversary edition is also pretty good, have Legend on the PC and 360 and Anniversary on the Wii, the controls one Wii version are decent but are almost too gimicky at times, but besides that Anniversary *on all platforms, not sure about the PSP edition* are pretty good.

Comment

I have Legends on the 360, but with all tomb raider games i seem to spend ages on clocking them. The gameplay and graphics for legends were fantastic. But to answer your question, i don't think i got to your bit yet, or i've done it but forgot. Ask my mate google, he'll know ;)
      Also i think AOD was quite good with the roleplaying.

Comment

Haven't played Angel Of Darkness yet, but people say it's crap. But I should see for myself before throwing accusations.

Nemesis Lover, the bit I'm on is just past Spoiler:
        Last edited by Helegad; 04-18-2008, 05:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Helegad View Post
          Haven't played Angel Of Darkness yet, but people say it's crap. But I should see for myself before throwing accusations.
          It is crap. I'd avoid it unless you can find a way to get it for free. It'll make a nice coaster.

Legend was awesome (played it on PC). My only complaint is that the bosses don't know how to shut up (though it could've just been my copy, whichi got off steam...).
          Last edited by JcFFx; 04-18-2008, 06:34 AM.

Comment

Do they keep throwing out one-liners?

Comment

Legend was fun, but way too short. And, IMHO, there was too many shooting scenes - if I would want to play a tpp shooter, I would pick another game; this is Tomb Raider, so I want to raid some tombs. :| But, I agree with The Dude, Legend revived the franchise and Lara Croft once again is a star.

Fortunately, there's also Anniversary - Tomb Raider in its pureness .

And don't bother with Angel of Darkness. I wanted to play it. I really, really wanted to play it. But the controls were so clunky, and Lara's animation so stiff, that I gave up. I must admit that I've played (and beaten) lots of crappy games before, but AoD just pushed me away.

Comment

Loved Tomb Raider Legend and Tomb Raider Anniversary, but they've pretty much been out done now by Uncharted. Even so, I'm looking forward to the next one (Underworld is the subtitle, isn't it?)

Comment

This was the first gaming series I had ever played and finished, and I swear, I loved every bloody moment of it!! <3
                  I've played every main series game, and my favourite is 2 & Anniversary.
                  And yes, Underworld is the new one, continuing after Legend, and they've also made Lara older.

Comment

Not older, more realistic ;).
                    They've changed her new look recently, so she doesn't look so old anymore.

Comment

I don't really like the premise for Underworld. It's straying a bit too far into fantasy. A T-Rex in TR1 and 2 was about as much as I can handle when it's trying to be realistic.

PS: Managed to finish the Japan bit, found out how to get past the roof:

Spoiler:

Comment

Im hoping that Underworld keeps to the legend premise and promises for more non linear gameplay.

Im also hoping this is the last TR game in awhile because I really want Crystal Dynamics to make another Legacy of Kain game.

Comment

All the TRs were relatively non-linear. You could solve a lot of the puzzles in whatever order you want.

UPDATE: I'm now stuck with trying to activate the waterwheel. The puzzle to do so looks really large and intimidating, and I don't know if what I'm attempting to do is making any difference (I'm standing on one pressure plate, a box is on the other, and grappling + pulling the statue's cog (?) doesn't seem to do anything. I'm also going through TR2 again at the same time, and I'm stuck on Living Quarters (the level after the Wreck Of The Maria Doria. I think it's near the end of the game, I've never actually completed it; always got stuck on that level).

Comment

I liked Legend, but I also found it to be the most simple title in the series. I think TR2 was likely the most challenging and the original original the most hard and unforgiving.

I gave up on TR3 and didn't play another game until Chronicles, which I found far too easy, and then quit on the series again until "for good" until I was given the Anniversary title as a gift and found it REALLY good. So I went back and played Legend after that. I'm unsure about the new one, but I kinda want to play it to see what happens next.

I disagree with your non-linear comment though. Sure, there have been sections of the titles where progress can be made in a few different ways, but the overall structure of every title in the series stays fairly linear.

Games of it's type kinda have to I guess. The closest I'd say any games come to providing an adventure story with actions akin to Tomb Raider (or Uncharted, or Prince of Persia, or anything like that) at this stage is probably Assassin's Creed, and even that was fairly linear and mission based outside of the actual town settings it was placed in.
                            Last edited by Rombie; 04-19-2008, 09:46 AM.

Comment

I loved this game. But the first time through I encountered a bug when I couldn't figure out how to do a puzzle.
                              Spoiler:
                              Last edited by bungholio; 04-20-2008, 11:52 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X