Do you believe in online friendships?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you believe in online friendships?

Do you believe its possible to make real friends online? Some people say its impossible. Some people make friendships for years. What do you think.

I guess it depends on the situation. I have a few friends online, but I'm almost sure I'll never meet them in person. It costs too much money these days to arrange to visit some person you know online. I'd rather just go to the local hot spots to make some real life friends.

Comment

You can make friends online, but not the same as in real life i think. I've met up with friends online before, but its never the same. I guess on things like msn and yahoo you only see the nice/funny side of the person, so thats why you like them in the first place where really they can be an arse.

Comment

Mmm, well i actually believe is possible!! i think of all of you as my buddies!!! and i consider Gradon a friend, cause, i been chatting a lot with him via messenger and i like him a lot!!!

But... what i'm very esceptical is about Online relationships... cause, i been throught that... and i got realy hurt... i was terrible depressed

Even so... my Best Girlfriend, Jordana, is "dating2 with a guy from Uruguay, they're really in love; last year, he came to mexico, and on christmas, she went to uruguay.

Comment

It is possible. Most of my friends I've met through forum and for the first two-three years we knew each other only from posting. Now we (all of us are fans of RE ;)) meet at least twice a year during holidays .

Comment

I think it's very possible, i have quite a few good friends i've met online

Comment

While I think it's possible in that rare occasion, I think it's really easy to lose friendships like those cuz, well, knowing the person directly has no substitution. I've only had one friend like this and she was great. So positive thing in my book
              Last edited by Puma1; 04-29-2008, 08:04 PM.

Comment

Sure it is. I guess it could be rare, But I've never ran into any creeps when meeting people I know from online. Its how Ice and I became good friends.

Comment

Online friendships do exist. If you correspond with a particular person(s) on a daily/weekly basis through AIM, etc, you are friends with that person. If you correspond with someone or people on a specific forum (such as THIA, for example) on a friendly and semi-ongoing basis, you are friends with these people.

I believe there are many different forms of friendship. Personal and professional being two of them. A professional relationship is one based on business, nothing else, whereas a personal relationship is intimate. I've always heard to "never mix business with personal matter", but that often doesn't apply in relation to "online friendships". Some of the best 'net friends i've obtained have become some of the best friends I will ever have, not only because we discuss important business, but we also dicuss personal matters in our own live's and try to help each other the best we can. Although they don't know EVERYTHING about me and vice-versa, we know enough of each other's personal and professional sense to speak of whatever is on our mind's, and that makes me perfectly content.

I guess i'll end this rant by saying this - if you meet and correspond with someone through cyberspace, many great things can become of that matter. We can only make good if we not only seek it within ourselves, but others aswell. We are, afterall, the post-dawn people of the internet: if you spend alot of time online but don't seek friendship from others with the same passion on the 'net, you really have no business on a public forum. As far as meeting these people in person, for me, that would depend on the situation (how long i've "known" the person, if they are actually willing to meet, etc).
                  Last edited by MeganGrass; 04-30-2008, 02:02 AM. Reason: Post: 420
                  I'm a blackstar.

Comment

Yeah, online friends exist. I've had some for ten plus years. Also, I met my wife online...and she's not a mail order bride.

Comment

Ditto, I have some people I still talk to online that I know very well and I've been talking to them since like 1998 or 1999, so about 10 years now. Scary as that seems.

Comment

I have alot of online friends and most of them i know for years. One sticks out with head and shoulders...well besides BHXTyrant but thats a totaly different story. I met Nemesis 556 about 5 years ago and hes my dearest online friend. May sound weird but hes the brother i don't have. We always help each other out if one of us needs something, send each other birthdaypresents and so on. When Capcom Central was still up we did run that together and he still runs Cerberes with me. We are also both Capcom Europe moderators At one point i was thinking of leaving everything that has to do with being online behind me. Thanks to Nem i stayed and i didn't regret it.

Comment

Originally posted by Rombie View Post
                          Ditto, I have some people I still talk to online that I know very well and I've been talking to them since like 1998 or 1999, so about 10 years now. Scary as that seems.
                          Likewise.

Longest online friendship i've had is 10 years and counting, although during this time i've met her in person and keep in contact via phone as she's based in the UK.

Most people on my contacts online i've known for over 5-6 years who im close too aswell.

Comment

yesterday the dude and me talked on phone, we've been friends for about 6 years so far. haha and nobody understands me like this bastard does

why are you hiding on aim, i know you're there!

Comment

my longest online friendship and counting would have to be 2 years, and thats someone i haven't met before, but I have friends from school that i haven't seen for about 4 years and i still speak to them on msn.
                              Next thing we should do is give out our hotmail, AIM, Yahoo address, so we can all have a right old chat.

Comment

Working...
                              X