Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Playstation 3 backwards compatability

Hi guys.
    I'm looking at getting a PS3, and the 40gb unit is in my price range.

I know that the PS3 isn't region locked, which is a big plus for me. So I can play Australian games if I buy a Japanese console.

My question is that if I shell out for a Japanese 60gb unit, which plays Japanese PS1 and PS2 games, will a Japanese PS3 play PS2 games from another region? OR is it only the PS3 games which are region free, and not the PS1 and PS2 games?

I also thought I read that a 40gb unit can play PS1 games. It's just the DVD based PS2 games it doesn't emulate? Is this true?

Can anyone who does have a PS3 help me?
    Last edited by TheSelfishGene; 06-08-2008, 03:15 AM.
    sigpic

Right...

The 60gb machine will be region locked as far as PS1 and PS2 is concerned, but region free in most (probably all, but it could change at anytime) cases.

The 40gb machine currently only plays PS3 (region free) and PS1 (same region) titles. Every week sees another new source claiming that software emulation (as opposed to the 60gb's hardware-based emulation) will hit the console eventually, but of course Sony never comment on it.

If you go with a 40gb unit, you'll just have to cross your fingers for it to happen soon!

I didn't think it would bother me at all not having PS2 support, but i'm itching to play loads of my older games now!

Hope that helps

Comment

Backwards Compatibility Searcher

Hope this helps!

Also, I read that PS1 emulation is very good because the PS3 has a PS1 processor inside it which controls the PS1 emulation and a variety of other PS3 components.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Stu View Post

The 60gb machine will be region locked as far as PS1 and PS2 is concerned, but region free in most (probably all, but it could change at anytime) cases.

Cheers. That's the exact info I needed. It's not worth paying the extra $150ish to buy a 2nd hand 60gb, when I'll still have to keep my aus PS2 set up to play my old games anyways.

I tried to get Portal to run on my laptop today (don't have a PC in Japan). Crashes with my graphics card. Was soo tempted to go out and buy a ps3 today. Anyone know if the PS3 version of the Orange Box is as bad as everyone says it is?
        sigpic

Comment

One thing to keep in mind that the regional restriction is limited to discs, and not the software itself. If you were to download PS1 games from any given PSN store, it'll work on any machine. I've downloaded quite a few PS1 games from the Japanese PSN onto my US unit for example (600Y each). The added bonus is that you can also transfer them to a PSP.

All PS3 games however are region free, disc based or not, so you have nothing to worry about there.

Comment

so which PS3's will play PS1 and PS2 games? Wasnt there a 20gig PS3??

Comment

Originally posted by Umon Daisuke View Post
              One thing to keep in mind that the regional restriction is limited to discs, and not the software itself. If you were to download PS1 games from any given PSN store, it'll work on any machine. I've downloaded quite a few PS1 games from the Japanese PSN onto my US unit for example (600Y each). The added bonus is that you can also transfer them to a PSP.
              This is good to know for me in fact. I've just set up a US account and have been downloading a lot of US PSN titles, wasn't sure if PS1 titles would work on a PAL PSP though. So cheers for that!

All PS3 games however are region free, disc based or not, so you have nothing to worry about there.
              This decision is all down to individual developers though, and could change at any moment.

Comment

True, but no publisher has gone that route and I doubt they will. Some like Capcom and MS do the same on the 360 already.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSelfishGene View Post
                  Cheers. That's the exact info I needed. It's not worth paying the extra $150ish to buy a 2nd hand 60gb, when I'll still have to keep my aus PS2 set up to play my old games anyways.

I tried to get Portal to run on my laptop today (don't have a PC in Japan). Crashes with my graphics card. Was soo tempted to go out and buy a ps3 today. Anyone know if the PS3 version of the Orange Box is as bad as everyone says it is?
                  No, the problems arent bad at all. From what Ive seen, everything is more then playable, with the biggest issues being on Episode 2.

Comment

True, but no publisher has gone that route and I doubt they will. Some like Capcom and MS do the same on the 360 already.
                    Stanglehold is the closest we've come to it. They were going to do the special edition of the game region encoded but buckled in the end.

It's going to happen eventually.

Comment

Listen to me Gene, because I am the owner of one of the 40gb PS3. First of all you cant play in any PS or PS2 games on 40Gb version. Yes if you buy a new console the feature of playing the games from previous consoles is deleted. Than it does not matter were you buy your console because it is not region locked. So you do can play USA games on Japan console, BUT you wil be able to watch only Japan BRay discs because they are region locked. And it have no card reader andonly 2 USB ports. I hope my info helped you. But still take any PS3 as you can because PS rules.
                      "Barry never vanished from the series. It was the series that vanished from Barry. He's inside all of us. " (C) Smiley

Comment

Please don't turn this into a console fanboy's wet dream.

Comment

Thanks for the help guys.

I was thinking this topic could turn into just another in the console wars.

Reading that BD films are region coded has swayed me alot. For someone who doesn't care about MGS 4 or FF 13, that was one of the big plusses of getting a PS3. I'm thinking I won't get one. Both my brothers have 360s. I guess I'll just buy games to play on those. Guess I'll have to be nice to em but .

Thanks once again for the info guys.
                          sigpic

Comment

Well one of the main reasons to buy this or that console are eksclusives. In case of PS3 they are MGS4, GOW2, Killzone 2 and so on... And yes if you are not interested in this games than there are no reasons for you to buy PS3. So no matter what you will choose good luck.
                            "Barry never vanished from the series. It was the series that vanished from Barry. He's inside all of us. " (C) Smiley

Comment

Oops, by "do the same", I meant that MS and Capcom 360 published games are actually region free.

Comment

Working...
                              X