Back from the dead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back from the dead

I have to make this post short, but I'm back now. My PC was destroyed and violated by lightning (despite being hooked up to a UPS system) about two weeks ago. Thus, you get chaos on the site. I need to pay the site bill, domain bill and clean up the forum from some various new members who got a bit over-excited. If you tried to contact me during these past two weeks, chances are I'll get to your message soon.

That sucks horribly. That's kind of what happened to my first PC. It sucks since that HDD was where all my RE stuff was back when White Umbrella was around and I had a lot of my ideas and research done. It sucks, but hopefully your rig is salvagable...

Comment

Thankfully it seems to have only affected the CPU and Motherboard. This has pushed me even further into paranoia now though. I need to get a weekly backup system going.

Comment

I just use a 1TB external hard drive for a bulk of my files and drag/drop updated folders. I need a way of just synching them though as that would make my life easier...

Comment

violated by lightning

i knew there was something wrong with that crazy chick

Comment

ITS A CURSE!!!
            Seriously now, I saw you say your comp was deaded on PSN; welcome back Dot!

Comment

Originally posted by Project Omega View Post
              I just use a 1TB external hard drive for a bulk of my files and drag/drop updated folders. I need a way of just synching them though as that would make my life easier...
              I'm in your same position. I'd like to have an application which can see what files were modified since the last backup, and back those up in a smart manner, rather than grabbing all files, even those which we're previously backed up but unchanged.

I have a 500GB drive for this. It seems pretty adequate, though my "scratch" drive (500GB) won't be able to get backed up.

Comment

I have a 500GB too. I've only used up 100GB, half of which is demos of the latest games

Comment

Doesn't Microsoft's Breifcase program do something like that? I've been wanting to try it, but have been lazy about it since I just back stuff up manually...

The Briefcase feature in Windows XP helps you keep your files updated by automatically synchronizing multiple copies of individual files. In other words, Briefcase keeps track of the relationship between files on two or more computers. For example, if you use a desktop computer at the office, and you use a portable computer when you are on the road, Briefcase synchronizes and updates the files on your desktop computer to the modified versions when you reconnect your portable computer to the desktop computer.

Briefcase stores and displays the update status of files. It keeps track of whether a file is linked to the original file on your main computer, or whether it is an orphan file (a file stored in Briefcase that is not linked to another file). You can use this information to keep your files organized and to keep track of the most recent versions of your files.

Use Briefcase when you use two or more computers to work on files, and when you need to frequently transfer files between computers by using a direct cable connection or a removable disk.
                  Last edited by Project Omega; 06-25-2008, 08:44 AM.

Comment

Sorry to hear that Dot. Hope it's all sorted out now!

Comment

Hmm, seems like vista's backup thing has this already:

Seems its pretty smart too:
                      "Previously backed-up versions of files use only a bare minimum of disk space. If only a small part of a file changes (such as one slide in a presentation), only that portion gets tracked and saved."
                      Last edited by Dot50Cal; 06-25-2008, 03:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dot50Cal View Post
                        Hmm, seems like vista's backup thing has this already:

Seems its pretty smart too:
                        "Previously backed-up versions of files use only a bare minimum of disk space. If only a small part of a file changes (such as one slide in a presentation), only that portion gets tracked and saved."
                        Check out Acronis if you have some extra cash to put into back up software. However as you stated a Microsoft back up through Vista may suit your needs.

I was working with Acronis before I got BS'ed out of my job so if you have any question I may be able to answer them.

edit:

Wow! This topic is old! I'm am super late to the party.
                        Last edited by alf717; 07-13-2008, 11:09 PM.

Comment

Ack, I only have Vista Home Premium so no back up for me ;~;

Manual back up is fine for me though

Comment

Ugh. Encoding with this temporary CPU is awful. I can't even record 720p video without dropping frames. Its a total disaster. I've been encoding since 5PM yesterday, and I'm just now almost finishing up. So more than 12 hours for a couple videos. Disgusting.

Intel's new price drops can't come fast enough.
                            Last edited by Dot50Cal; 07-16-2008, 05:43 AM.

Comment

So how will you protect your PC from lightning in the future Dot?

Comment

Working...
                              X