Battlefield Bad Company

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battlefield Bad Company

Anyone picked this up? It's the newest Battlefield instalment, this one being console only. I was unsure about it after trying the demo, but playing the full game, I've had a better experience.

The single player is pretty much a standard war FPS. I really do enjoy the dynamic of blowing away walls, exposing cover, and the weapons all feel great, like they have weight behind them, while not feeling like they're too slow. My only problem with single player is how it can get pretty repetitive. The A.I. never miss a shot, so the game can quickly become a routine of hiding behind cover, popping out, unloading half a clip into someone while the rest hit you with every single shot, pop back into cover and use your needle to recover health. The level structure, from what I played, seems to be repetitive too. Go here, shoot bad guys, defend/destroy something, move on.

The multiplayer really is what the game is all about though, as you can expect from it being a Battlefield game. Anyone familiar to Battlefield will feel right at home here, big maps, lots of vehicles, big teams, levelling/unlocking guns. This one really feels like Battlefield, something that I thought the previous console version, Modern Combat, never got right.

The classes have been streamlined from Battlefield 2, to be closer in vein to Modern Combat and 2142, for example, the Medic and Support have been grouped together into one class, as have Anti-Tank and Engineer. There is only one game mode at the minute, although DICE have announced that more will be coming soon for free. The game mode that is shipped, Gold Rush, centres on an attack and defend style of play. One team starts defending two gold crates, while the others objective is to attack it, doing so by either damaging the crates or planting a charge on them. If the attackers destroy the crate, the map will open a new area with two more crates. Most maps usually have 3 or 4 crate areas. For the defenders to win, they must kill a certain number of the attackers. If the attackers do take out a crate, the number of kills the defenders need raises again. It's a nice mode, although it really isn't as much fun to defend when you're playing with strangers.

This is probably my only complaint with multiplayer. It's very uncoordinated. When playing BF2 on PC with complete strangers, everyone still worked toward the objective and usually there was a feeling of teamwork, where as on the console, this is generally lost. I don't know if this is a console mentality of "everyone look after themselves" but it really doesn't make it fun.

I'd recommend everyone at least try the demo. It's on both 360 and PS3 now, and has a Single Player and Multiplayer option.

I'll pick it up if it hits PC, but otherwise no sale. I was going to pick this up if it had online co-op, but it didn't so it instantly fell off the radar for me.

Comment

I doubt it'll hit PC, if only because DICE are also working on Battlefield 3 and Heroes, and this is basically a console version of Battlefield 2.

Online co-op for single player isn't really a big deal to me. I admit that it seems like a stupid move, but the single player acts like a huge tutorial for online, more so than I've seen in other games. They really prepare you for what Battlefield is like online, so, as I said, multiplayer is the real reason to pick it up.

Did you try the demo Dot?

Comment

Nah, I've been playing MGO in between working on the 1.5 section. So thats been keeping me entertained. Honestly, I can't really get into the console Battlefields. The controls end up just frustrating me, since I'm so used to playing them on PC.

Comment

I really didn't dig this game that much. It has awesome graphics, but after playing COD4 for months... well this game isn't the same. Still good though.

Comment

I really can't stand war games. It just gets to me for some reason.

Comment

Working...
            X