Chrono Trigger DS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chrono Trigger DS

Square Enix has gone ahead and made it official - Chrono Trigger is coming to the Nintendo DS in North America this holiday season! The game is a port of the classic Super Nintendo RPG, modified to take advantage of the DS's dual-screen presentation and touch screen functionality. They'll also be spicing things up a bit with an entirely new dungeon for the DS version, as well as wireless multiplayer battles.

I think I speak for every RPG fan out there when I say that this is pretty much the best news I've heard all year. I can only hope that the Japanese and North American release of the game eventually leads to a version for PAL regions, who have never had the chance to play either of the Chrono titles.

Hit the jump for the official word!
    ~ http://kotaku.com/5021416/square-eni...ono-trigger-ds

[nerd][SIZE="6"]OHH EMM EFF GEE[/SIZE][/nerd]

On of my favorite RPG games of all times coming out for the DS. I can't believe I'm this excited about it--my god I am a nerd. I remember playing this back in 1995 when it first came out. I rented it from a local video store that also had SNES, NES, and Genesis game rentals. One of the things I remember most about this game is the music. From Chrono Trigger to Memories of Green, the soundtrack is what I most remember playing it back way back when. I got a short-lived burst of flashback-dom when I got the PSX remake as part of the Final Fantasy Chronicles in 2001...

Now, I can take it everywhere and be a time-traveling, spikey-haired warrior <3
    Last edited by Project Omega; 07-03-2008, 10:56 AM.

I was hoping it'd be a full kind of remake in the vein of Dragon Quests on DS and FFIII and IV.

I suppose in hindsight it makes sense why any attempts by fans to remake or do anything to Chrono Trigger were thwarted back in the day now.

Comment

Yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss!!!

I've never had the pleasure to play this game for very long, so I'm quite excited that I'll finally be able to own it! I do cherish my DS time everynight....ahh to lay back, put in Pokemon Diamond/Phoenix Wright/Resident Evil DS...ahh and soon, Chrono Trigger.

Comment

First Mega Man 9 and now Chrono Trigger DS!

I'm looking forward to seeing how this all turns out. I still have my SNES cart and was really hoping for a VC release but I suppose this is acceptable as well. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out but I still have some hope left to see a VC release one day even though this pretty much guarantee there will not be one.

It is a bit of shame that this will not take the route of current DS remakes like Final Fantasy III and IV or the Dragon Quest series but hey why mess with something that is good already huh?
        Last edited by alf717; 07-04-2008, 11:02 PM.

Comment

I actually prefer the idea of CT on the DS over wii's store.
          Hopefully they either add new segments/sidequests/weapons or bonus fights into the game.
          Or considering the way cartridge space and data compression is nowadays, throw in all the PSone anime cutscenes *or add more which would be nice*.
          Can't remember anything wrong with the translation in CT, but a decent once over to improve any language problems would be good too.

Comment

Eh? A port? Yay?

Comment

Seems to be a port which will use dual screen support with some touch screen functionality.
              That has me less enthused.
              But whatever, hopefully the screen stuff is new content.

*BTW I figure this is why eons ago they ordered that Chrono Trigger Ressurection fan game to close, maybe not.
              Sorta makes sense the Squenix Cash Cow would try and churn more money out of Chrono Trigger*

Comment

Square knows how to make money, thats the only reason I can see for them stopping CT:R. I would say that this game had nothing to do with the C&D. Come September, it will be 4 full years since the project was 'stopped.' This is before the DS was even out, and it sure as heck didnt take Square 4 years to make the port hehe Bottom line, Square lacking in huge titles = another port for us

Comment

So, here be my simple wishes for the DS version:
                  -More endings/variables
                  -More save slots (or evt. a New Game+ mode where you can flag various events to have been already taken care of and start from there)
                  -Touch screen control for techs
                  -Some sort of way to change character positions/placement
                  -Playable 1999 time period (Or maybe a totally new time period, evt. alternate "dimension" (Cross) of an already existing one?)
                  -Full touch screen controls
                  -Alternate "Secret of Mana"(Action)-ish playmode (Give me new ways to play my damn games!)

I guess what we will get is:
                  -Some sort of minor nods to Chrono Cross added
                  -End-game bonus dungeon
                  -Radical Dreamers remake/port

Comment

I think touch screen is a horrible idea if its forced upon the player, unless its for new sidequests.

A playable 1999 would be ok, but then again, only thing which happened in 1999 is Lavos anyway.

As for links to Chrono Cross, there really isn't any need for them to throw links to it besides the Chrono Trigger Animated ending from the PSone version which had a direct link.

__

I only expect the 2 screen playability for menu's etc on the bottom/gameplay on top, and if they were going to throw bonuses it'd just be maybe one or two new weapons or armor.

Comment

Touch screen gameplay would be simple for a game like Chrono Trigger:
                      -Follow the pointer. (tap/double tap for interact)

Touch screen gameplay should just be an option, end of story.
                      No "only for new side-quests" approach. (Only time a port/remake has properly implemented "side-quest" material utilizing the new hardware was when Link's Awakening got remade for the GBC and got the color dungeon added)

People need to stop being so narrow-minded when it comes to execution of non-traditional input devices.

The techs would really benefit from it along with a feature to re-positioning characters on the battlefield. (Any type of way to allow you to affect your character's position on the battlefield would be great).

There are so many damn techs in the game that draws some sort of line out from your character's current position towards the direction of some sort of target, to then affect everything on that line, or makes some sort of circle and affects everything within it.

As for "if" a 1999 was a playable location, I'm sure they could cram in some conflicts of their own + you could always use it for a data central or some new retard dungeon.

As for CC tie-ins, I'm sure they could have plenty of little nods. If they're first gonna open Chrono Trigger again, they should go full out. Only shame is that I guess they don't exactly have the "DreamTeam" to handle things.
                      Last edited by Carnivol; 07-06-2008, 02:42 PM.

Comment

an enhanced port ? would've been more exciting if it were a 3d remake like the recent FF one's.

Comment

Too much effort on Squenix's part, it'll make money on grounds it never came out in PAL territories, and on the whole OMG ITS CHRONO TRIGGA OMFG factor.

Comment

Originally posted by A-J View Post
                            an enhanced port ? would've been more exciting if it were a 3d remake like the recent FF one's.

A full 3D remake would be a difficult and demanding project in many ways.
                            (Though, I hope FFV-VI gets the FFIII-IV treatment)

Besides, Chrono Trigger missed out on the GBA port it's Final Fantasy 1-2+IV-VI cousins got after their PSX ports.

Just hope some proper "additional hardware" magic gets put into play for this port, and that everything just wont be a 1:1 port job (Add in some additional frames to smooth out some of the horrible double frame running animations and stuff like that)

Comment

On the topic of portable RPG's, Capcom needs to bring Breath of Fire 3 to the DS, I need more RPG's to waste the hours away at work...

The cancelled it for the PSP (the US version anyway) and I'm not sure why, it's an awesome game and I've pretty certain I've played the hell out of it on the PS1...
                              Last edited by Project Omega; 07-06-2008, 08:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X