a few question about the ps3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a few question about the ps3

i own a 40GB model and i play like 30 min and the system is hot like hell,it is normal that the system gets so hot in 30 min??

i know that the ps2 can stay in the stand by mode for days but what about the ps3,it is better to turn it off in the main switch or let it on the stand by mode??

I never used standby mode on the PS2. It never made sense for me, since I'd have to get up to the console to turn it on anyway. I always use standby on the PS3 though, since it can be turned on via the controller. No issues here.

It does output a whole lot of heat. My 60GB model gets very hot after it runs for a while, so i wouldn't worry about it.

Comment

thanks dot anyway the 40 GB model dont have the vents on the front like the other models,i ask this because i didn know that the ps3 gets that hot.

Comment

Sharing a little tidbit. When I switched to the larger WD Scorpio last year, the fan doesn't go off nearly as much and the unit is considerably cooler. Sony used Seagate with the first models, and like all their HDD's, they tend to heat up faster than WD or Hitachi.

Comment

Originally posted by ZERO View Post
          i own a 40GB model and i play like 30 min and the system is hot like hell,it is normal that the system gets so hot in 30 min??

i know that the ps2 can stay in the stand by mode for days but what about the ps3,it is better to turn it off in the main switch or let it on the stand by mode??
          Mine got hot very fast the first time I played it...however it was in a more enclosed part of my tv stand. Now I have it standing up beside my tv where it gets more air and it stays mildly cool unless I play for hours (which I rarely do). And I never use stand by either...I just turn it off when I'm done.
          Last edited by Bertha; 07-16-2008, 10:08 PM.
          sigpic
          Are you tired, Rebecca?

Comment

Mine never gets anywhere near as hot as my 360. It gets a little warm to the touch near where the power cable connects.

Comment

it it worth to get a new in the box US 60GB ps3 for 800 dollars??
              Last edited by ZERO; 08-16-2008, 05:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Corrin View Post
                Mine never gets anywhere near as hot as my 360. It gets a little warm to the touch near where the power cable connects.
                That'll be the in-built transformer.
                Last edited by kevstah2004; 08-16-2008, 05:37 PM.
                If he had a brain, he'd be dangerous.

sigpic

Comment

It's pretty handy that the PS3 handles 110/240v and you only need a PC power cable. I was worried I had to get a step down and all that crap.

Comment

Originally posted by Scream View Post
                    It's pretty handy that the PS3 handles 110/240v and you only need a PC power cable. I was worried I had to get a step down and all that crap.
                    Wow I never knew that. I was expecting to have to do that with my PS3. That's great news for me.

Mines a Japanese PS3 (110V), which sits on a table top, so it's really went ventilated, and doesn't noticably heat up.

However the lap top transformer I have (which runs from 100V-240V) runs fine when I use it in Australia (240V), but here in Japan (110V) it gets VERY HOT. So hopefully the PS3 doesn't have that problem.
                    sigpic

Comment

Yeah I love my PS3, it can do everything! I even use my old sixaxis controllers on my PC.

But seriously the PS3 could do so much more if Sony didn't gimp it with their ultra-restrictive firmware. That's life though...

Comment

So it has a relay to detect how much power being putting through it? and automatically switches to use the according setting? I could buy a 110/120V PS3 and use a 230/240V power source on it?
                        Last edited by kevstah2004; 08-17-2008, 03:13 PM.
                        If he had a brain, he'd be dangerous.

sigpic

Comment

It will automatically switch yes. Even if it's marked as 110v it's stilll 110v-240v. I believe every consumer PS3 ever made has the exact same power specs.

Comment

Working...
                          X