Xbox 360 or PS3? *flinch*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xbox 360 or PS3? *flinch*

I figured it was coming sometime. With the distinct lack of any news of a Wii port of RE5, I figure that if I want to play it, I'll have to get a 360 or PS3 somewhere down the line. (I shudder to think of what they'll do to it on the PC, don't even suggest that.).

The point is, I wanted your opinions. I've been doing research and I'm having difficulty deciding which one would be best.

Xbox 360:
    Pros:

Somewhat Cheaper
    From what I've seen, better games and a lot of them
    Better lighting effects

Cons:
    I've heard they aren't very reliable
    Online requires paid subscription
    Some Region Locking

Playstation 3:
    Pros:

Doubles as a Blu-Ray Player
    Quite a few exclusive games
    No Region Locking
    Built-in Wireless
    Larger HD

Cons:
    Large Price Tag
    Less of an Online Community

I'd like you guys to help me add to the lists. If you own either one of these systems and have anything good or bad to say about, speak up! Any input is appreciated.
    Last edited by LeonsBuddyDave; 07-17-2008, 11:59 AM.

You have to pay a subscription fee to play online (Xbox live gold).
    To play online with Playstation you don't.
    No region locking on PS3 games (yet).

PS3 has wireless built-in (so you can get on the net), and a web browser.
    360 you need an add on, and it doesn't have a web browser.

Feel free to correct me on this. I don't own either, but I've done some research as I'm thinking of buying one either soon.
    Last edited by TheSelfishGene; 07-17-2008, 01:15 AM.
    sigpic

Comment

Some 360 games are not region locked, it's up to the developer if they want to lock it or not. A great place to go is PlayAsia who have a bit on the page of every game telling you if it's region locked, and if it is to what regions.

Comment

So far it seems that PS3 is in the lead. Is there any real difference graphics-wise?

Comment

Early on a lot of games on both consoles, it was seen the 360 had better lighting effects, but now actually i'd say on par.

Comment

I thought the PS3 had more processing power... is this true?

Comment

Yes, it does have a CPU edge (360 has a bit of an edge with the GPU). For multiplatform titles, it's a non-issue since the game end up being identical nowadays anyway. The only difference I've personally seen was that DMC4's cutscenes ran at 60fps on PS3 and 30 on 360.

I say look at the first party exclusives for each system, and make a decision. From my experience, it's not quite worth having both for games since the vast majority of third party titles are multiplatform (or timed exclusive).

If you care about BD and HDD space, the PS3 is the way to go. If you care more about an online community type gameplay, go for the 360.

Comment

I prefer the PS3 at this stage of the game. Not that the 360 is a horrible choice, its just that yeah, as Umon said, the online community on the PS3 is about the only downfall. Difference being, I don't play online all that often anymore, so it doesnt bother me. And while there's less players, there's also less headsets, so less annoying voices in my ear

Comment

I'm still deciding. At E3 Sony announced they would phase out the 40gb models with an identical unit, only with an 80gb hard drive. Has a price cut been suggested on the old 40gb stock? And does anyone know when the newer 80gb units will come out? It was sometime during August right? Hopefully I'll be able to grab a 40gb then and save a few $$$.
                  sigpic

Comment

your swaying towards the ps3, you could always get that, then at a later date invest ina 360 to

Comment

Don't forget about overheating. X-360 becomes hot as hell just after an hour or so of work, without different expensive modifications, so you can play longer on PS3 and don't worry that your console will blow any minute.
                      "Barry never vanished from the series. It was the series that vanished from Barry. He's inside all of us. " (C) Smiley

Comment

Originally posted by Nomad9026 View Post
                        Don't forget about overheating. X-360 becomes hot as hell just after an hour or so of work, without different expensive modifications, so you can play longer on PS3 and don't worry that your console will blow any minute.
                        Wow! Fanboy-fuelled out of date inaccuracy much?

I play my 360 for long periods of time quite regularly, and it's always a perfectly acceptable temperature each and every time.

Comment

Gotta admit when I play the 360 I usually play for several hours and so far it hasn't burst into flame. I do have an intercooler and keep it in a cold spot, but that's just common sense. Hell, my old one which broke down actually started working again for no good reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Darkmoon View Post
                            I do have an intercooler and keep it in a cold spot, but that's just common sense.

Neither of what you said is common sense, particularly keeping electronics in cold spots. Ventilation is key, and buying an add on to compensate for a flawed heat sink design is hardly a good thing. I keep mine in a well ventilated area, and it's fine. The problems I've had were DVD drive related, and I have played the console 7 straight hours at times (more recently, it may have been more with NGII)

Nomad's fanboy-ish exaggeration aside, the PROD issue is caused by heat. However, the console doesn't heat up much on its exterior, so it won't blow up or melt etc. The PS3 in comparison does heat up its surroundings, because the heat sink is quite complex and rids of any internal generated heat well. It can dub as a heater at times
                            Last edited by Umon Daisuke; 07-22-2008, 02:01 PM.

Comment

Alright, allow me to restate that: Common sense when using a 360.

Comment

Working...
                              X