hope?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hope?

Video Game Troll Site Destructoid has recently posted a hands-on article about Silent Hill: Homecoming

So I went in to my play time of Silent Hill: Homecoming not as a fan of the series, but as a fan of survival horror and actions games in general. And so far? Maybe things aren't as bad as fans are expecting them to be.

Spoiler:

You move Shepherd around the dimly lit hospital, an impressive lighting system casting eerie shadows and flickers across walls. You can pull up a map with Y; it's a standard Silent Hill style map, with red scribbles indicating doors you've been in, areas you can't pass, and areas that are locked. There's no loading between rooms; no door opening screens here -- everything is seamless.

Working through the hospital you encounter a creepy little child scrawling on a piece of paper with crayons. You can have a conversation with him, and are given various reply options (you'll help him, you won't, etc.) that are said to have an impact on the direction of the game (and ultimately the ending). You need to find a key code to open a cell, which ends up being scribbled on two pieces of X-Ray film. One is easily found, the other have to do some more searching for.

Hunting. Fetching. Exploring. Picking up papers with random bits of story information on them. Yup, this definitely feels like Silent Hill to me, and more importantly, like just about every other survival horror game.

Some control differences are notable, though, and I'd say they're a pretty big step up for the series (although not necessarily ground breaking in terms of third-person titles). For one, Shepherd can interact with the environment in a number of ways, tapping buttons to hop over things, or break glass with his elbow. Or stabbing a knife into a creepy, leathery looking wall and tapping X to slide the knife down, ripping an entrance to a new area.

Combat has also been updated, and makes handling the creepy (and dare I say busty and sexy) zombie nurses a bit easier. Pull the left trigger will ready a combat stance, and you'll use X and A to deliver various blows with your weapon of choice (I spent most of the time with a knife). It's possible to string different "combos" together, and pressing B will allow you to dodge attacks, giving you the opportunity to parry.

Even with the control tweaks, all in all, Homecoming feels like a Silent Hill game ... at least from a gameplay perspective. Because I didn't get too deep into it, it's hard to speak on the game's narrative or the overall ambiance, the thing that truly set the series apart from games like Resident Evil. You can scratch off the "dingy hospital" and "zombie nurses" on your Silent Hill checklists. And once I got to the game's spooky town of Shepard's Glen, there was plenty of dense fog.
    The writer seems positive about the game and it seems to be shaping up to be a respectable installment in the series.

Image gallery

The topic of this thread sort of prepared me for a negative review. Although I was pleased at the end, I read it expecting a larger and larger "But..." after every passing sentence

Can't wait for this game! (I mean, I can; I just don't want to)

Comment

I'm getting it for sure (paid in full). It'll be the last game I buy for a good while into the new year and previews have been positive as of late. The only negative I've heard was some odd slowdown when there is nothing going on screen, and the unknown nature of the narrative so far.

Comment

This sounds awesome!
        I'm SO getting this when it comes out.

Comment

im afraid i'll wait til i get a full rebiew from EGM mostly

Comment

I also wait for a full review, but this game still on one of the first places in the list of the games I want to buy. And does anyone knows wnen is it's release?
            "Barry never vanished from the series. It was the series that vanished from Barry. He's inside all of us. " (C) Smiley

Comment

one of titles where i don't need any reviews, cause I'm hooked on the series since the first game

I'll buy it... wether it's as good/better/worse than the other games will be answered while playing

Comment

Originally posted by Nomad9026 View Post
                And does anyone knows wnen is it's release?
                September 30 for NA and November for us.
                I sure as hell hope the US X360 version is region free.

Comment

I'm very tempted to just pre-order this from the States or playasia.
                  No region locking for us ps3 users
                  But I guess I should also wait to read a few reviews (just in case).
                  It wont kill me to wait a while but I'm pretty sure I'll be getting this regardless of the reviews...

Comment

Originally posted by Skunky View Post
                    I'm very tempted to just pre-order this from the States or playasia.
                    No region locking for us ps3 users
                    But I guess I should also wait to read a few reviews (just in case).
                    It wont kill me to wait a while but I'm pretty sure I'll be getting this regardless of the reviews...
                    wait...

I was told the system had a region lock for all ps3 ps2 and ps1 games by the sony offices.

thats not true?

Comment

Originally posted by abbatoo View Post
                      September 30 for NA and November for us.
                      I sure as hell hope the US X360 version is region free.
                      Thanks. P.S. All PS3 games are region free.
                      "Barry never vanished from the series. It was the series that vanished from Barry. He's inside all of us. " (C) Smiley

Comment

Yes, thank Sony for region free ps3 games!
                        If you're Australian (like me) and hadn't decided whether to import or not. THIS should decide things for you: http://palgn.com.au/article.php?id=12855
                        Yep, another game refused classification in Aus! Check the article to read why.
                        Which means it will get censored then re-submitted... F**k that!
                        I'll be ordering from playasia.

Too bad if you're an Australian who only owns a 360...

Comment

I am sure it will be region free. I am an achievement whore at heart so I'd love to wear my full 1000 Silent Hill achievements with pride =D

But yeah, Hellboy: Science of Evil was region free, and that was a Konami title. I have high hopes for the 360 version of SH being region free.

If not, I'll get the PS3 version, but still.

That review / preview was very nice. I am looking forward to this a little bit more now.

Comment

I put this biznartch on reserve today <3

Comment

less than 2 days

Comment

Working...
                              X