Crysis Warhead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crysis Warhead

Has anyone picked this up? I'd love to play it, but I'm nervous I can't run it so well with my PC. I'll be upgrading next year but I dont want to wait that long

So Im wondering if anyone here has it, and how its running for them?

Take a look here: http://forums.tweakguides.com/showth...t=7804&page=16 and here: http://www.crymod.com/thread.php?threadid=36877&page=1

Despite Crytek's claims it seems that for most people it runs even worse than the original (especially in DX10 mode). On the other hand the graphics look noticeable better than before!!

Comment

Ah, well I preemptively bought new hardware anyway I want to be able to run this and the original Crysis to the max and go through them again

Comment

I'm Installing the game now. Comes with two DVDs, Warhead and Wars, I hope the optimizations work out in my favor.

Edit:

OK, some info for you on the game Dot. The game does work better with my hardware then the original Crysis. So far I have only gone through the first level but the frames were really smooth and only took a hit when a lot things were going on at once near the end of the level. During these events I was in the 20 or less FPS bracket but the game was still playable. I was averaging roughly 35-45 frames with my setup throughout the entire level on the "Gamer" settings. I'll give the "Enthusiast" settings a go next time and see how things run with my setup. Get your hard drives ready! This game eats up 20.13GB of space for all three games.

AMDX2 6400+ @ 3.2GHz
        4GB of RAM
        Two 3870's in crossfire
        Vista Business X64
        1920x1080 no AA or AF

My only gripe is the DRM on this game. It has me worried and I may take the game back tomorrow and go with the Steam version. From what I have read this contains the same junk Spore has and will limit the ammount of installs but for now I'm still looking into this to find out if it is indeed true or not.

Edit 2:

Oye!

The Steam version has the DRM crap to.

http://dl-client.getdropbox.com/u/49917/SecuRom.jpg from http://forums.steampowered.com/forum...=726448&page=2
        Last edited by alf717; 09-19-2008, 06:27 PM.

Comment

I completed Warhead earlier, and all I can say is that, for me, it was much more fun than the original Crysis' single player, and overall, I'd say it's a much better game. I really, really enjoyed it. It felt like everything I liked from the first game was thrown in here and expanded upon, mainly the parts where the game just tells you "Here's a bunch of shit to blow up, go do it".

It also was very clear that they optimized the shit out of the engine. I was still only playing Medium (or the equivalent setting now, I think it's called Gamer now) and having played Crysis on the same setting before booting up Warhead today, it definitely looks much better, and ran much, MUCH better. There was only one level where I had to bump the settings down due to a low FPS, which I think was due to something going haywire on my computer in the background, as it only happened half way through a particular level, and nothing big happened to warrant the low frame rate.

Either way, it’s great expansion pack, especially for just £20/$30. I have yet to check out Crysis Wars, but I did enjoy what I played of the original games multiplayer, so as long as it's along those lines, I imagine I'll enjoy it.

Comment

Welp, this game went from an immediate buy to a no buy for me. I can't believe they are still using that new version of SecureRom. Even on the Steam version, what the fuck? That shit is not touching my system. You can't even un-install it, even if the game is un-installed.

I'll play STALKER Clear Sky instead. Sad.
            Last edited by Dot50Cal; 09-19-2008, 07:17 PM.

Comment

You should hit up Amazon then.

Seriously though, you're not going to buy this game over the SecureRom shit? Really? That's pretty sad. Call me what you want, but that seems pathetic. Do you care that much? Do you really even need more than 3 installs? And getting more is a quick call away. I weep for humanity. Welp indeed.

Comment

I don't feel like installing something which will sit on my system and never be able to be removed unless I format. I use my PC for more than gaming, and having a process run in the background while doing work related tasks isn't my thing. If you read up on the issues relating to SecureRom, maybe you would change your tune too. When I installed Bioshock, my dvd drive kicked the bucket. Its a common problem with the application, but its not like I could prove it was the DRM that did it.

I'm taking a stand against this. Perhaps you like paying for a glorified game rental, but I don't. I won't let my moral convictions about whats right and whats wrong be changed by my desire to play the game. You call it sad that I am taking a stand against this kind of bullshit. I think its rather the opposite here. I think its sad that you've let yourself come to a point where you dont mind a rootkit being installed on your PC, as long as you have your game.

Too long have I had to suffer with this DRM nonsense. And where has it gotten us? We're now at the point where publishers think its ok to limit our installations to 3 times over the titles lifetime. Think about that for a moment. Over how many times in your lifetime do you think you'll get a new PC? How many times during that lifetime will you upgrade? Are you willing to take the chance that they'll patch the game afterwords to remove the limits? Tell that to all the people who bought videos off Google's video service. Or Microsofts music service.

Meanwhile, the pirates have DRM free versions of the game, often times before the game is even released. It really disgusts me that EA is still doing this, even after realizing how pathetic and worthless the DRM scheme is. As lame and cliche as it sounds, people need to take a stand against this. You aren't helping anyone by supporting a product with this stuff in it, only leading the PC further to the point where we'll all have protected and monitored systems, or worse, the death of the PC gaming industry.

I hate to say it, but I've even contemplated pirating the game. I quickly realized thats not the right action in this case, but if someone like me can be so easily swayed to doing so, I fear that one time paying customers with less moral convictions will now become pirates themselves. If anything, this DRM scheme is pushing honest people to become pirates.

Edit:
                I think the only solution I have right now is to buy the game at retail, and then download the DRM free version off the pirate bay or something. That leaves a shitty taste in my mouth for
                1)Inflating piracy numbers
                2)Telling EA this shit is ok

Blehh. I think I'll stew on it for a while while I play Stalker.
                Last edited by Dot50Cal; 09-19-2008, 08:10 PM.

Comment

If you pay for it, it does send the message that this sort of thing is ok.
                  The thing that shits me with DRM is that it inconveniences honest, hard working people. It DOESN'T inconvenience the pirates. It looks like they've already got cracks and work-arounds anyways.
                  I think the idea needs to be refocused and redirected AT PIRATES. How does limiting installs effect pirates ANY MORE than it effects everyone else?

I'm all for protecting digital assets. But with measures like this SecuROM, I can't help but be suprised that people are voting with their wallets, and sadly some are turning to piracy.
                  sigpic

Comment

I honestly think it is not pirates they are targeting it is us the consumer. To me they accept the fact that they are fighting a battle they can't win against software pirates so now they attack us by assuming a large majority of consumers will lend the game out to friends and family.

I’ve decided to keep the game regardless of DRM. However, I am using a no-dvd patch and plan to look for the version without DRM.

Comment

I caved in and bought this while it was one sale at Circuit City after Carnivol allayed my fears of the DRM it uses. Its still crap, but not as bad as I expected.

I'm pretty disappointed with the game. It looks and feels low budget so far. I'm on the second map, but the cinemas in between are really just sloppy. I noticed lots of objects switching in and out of the low res and high res models/textures. So far, its just more kill the bad guys, which isn't fun imo. I'm at the second map now, so I hope it picks up.

Comment

Just a question, does anyone know if AITD5 has that limited installs thing? I'm up to my second one...

Also, I reckon someone's gonna get a big spraypaint can and spraypaint

SECUROM SUXXORS

on the windows of the EA offices soon. I would do it myself with a gang of friends if I lived close to the offices.

Comment

I finished the game last weekend. I thought it was fun. I enjoyed playing Crysis Wars as well until Vista decided to take a dump on me. Yea I may be at my second install already but I'm debating on if I should do it or not. I had one issue with the game. It would completely crash my PC but after adding a no-dvd fixed the issue went away. I do use a virtual CD-ROM drive and wonder if that had something to do with the game crashing or if it was just a fluke.
                          Last edited by alf717; 09-24-2008, 07:21 PM.

Comment

Im enjoying it a bit more after the freezing incident now. Though during that hovercraft segment, I had to put my PC on mainstream or it was a slideshow. How on earth can I not run it at enthusiast settings? I have a top of the line PC. I don't see any better optimization here, Wayne.

Comment

Just beat it. Overall, it started out really poorly. Its not until the island freezes that the real game kicks in. The first few levels look really bad graphically, so I was really disappointed. But that changes a bit on. It only gets better as you go. I will say, the ending was a bit crap. But I suppose thats forgivable, given that its a concurrent story.

Still, I wish they added a bit more to the story, as the original Crysis still leaves a whole heck of a lot open for a sequel.

Comment

Working...
                              X