playing J games on the PS3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• playing J games on the PS3

ok, i feel screwed and stupid to say this but...

The only reason i bought a PS3 was so i can play import games, thn im told ONLY PS3 games can be played without region coding.

is there any accessory or program to play region 2 PS2 games on my PS3.

Im a hardcore Puro fan and i love the king of coliseum games

Yes, every boxed PS3 game so far isn't region coded (even those without multiple language support like Ryu Ga Gotoku Kenzan), but PS2 games are still limited by the on-disc regional locking. There isn't a way around that.

PS1 discs have the same restriction, but not the ROM downloads off the PSN. You can play JPN PS1 games off the PSN on a PAL or NTSC/UC console for example.

Comment

ok sp how do i get the roms from the J store on the PSN

Comment

Actually you can bypass the hyper security thing with Swap Magic v3.6 or v3.8 to play different region PS2 games you probably can with other ps2 cheat devices as well i'm not sure.
        Last edited by kevstah2004; 09-22-2008, 10:08 PM.
        If he had a brain, he'd be dangerous.

sigpic

Comment

ok sp how do i get the roms from the J store on the PSN
          Just make a Japanese account (profile). You can have several profiles for all the different regions. Sony must know people do this but they don't seem to give a shit.
          There are step by step guides you can find on the web but it's not hard. Just practice making a new profile in English, writing down each step and option (left or right etc) as you go. Because unless you can read Japanese, you have to know which option to highlight and press.
          Apparently, you're supposed to use a legitimate Japanese street address (people look up real buildings in Tokyo etc) but I don't think so. I just wrote 666 Capcom street and it worked fine.
          Then buy one or some of those PSN cards to buy stuff from the store. You can get them of ebay or various shops. Bio DC and Bio2 are only about $5 each.
          Actually you can bypass the hyper security thing with Swap Magic v3.6 or v3.8 to play different region PS2 games you probably can with other ps2 cheat devices as well i'm not sure.
          Cool! I didn't know that.

Comment

You can load uLaunchELF off USB with SM too for PS2 homebrew apps.
            You can then browse to cdrom: and load the main SLES, SCUD, SCES, SCED etc file off the original game disc if it's still region locked using SM or a cheat device normally.
            Last edited by kevstah2004; 09-22-2008, 10:48 PM.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by kevstah2004 View Post
              You can load uLaunchELF off USB with SM too for PS2 homebrew apps.
              You can then browse to cdrom: and load the main SLES, SCUD, SCES, SCED etc file off the original game disc if it's still region locked using SM or a cheat device normally.
              ok...(takes a deep breath)

HUH?

Comment

SM can load ps2 elf files from the following locations
                Code:
                mass0:\SWAPMAGIC\SWAPMAGIC.ELF
                mass0:\SWAPMAGIC\SMBOOT0.ELF
                mass0:\SWAPMAGIC\SMBOOT1.ELF
                mass0:\SWAPMAGIC\SMBOOT2.ELF
                mass0:\SWAPMAGIC\SMBOOT3.ELF

mc0:/SWAPMAGIC/SWAPMAGIC.ELF
                mc0:/SWAPMAGIC/SMBOOT0.ELF
                mc0:/SWAPMAGIC/SMBOOT1.ELF
                mc0:/SWAPMAGIC/SMBOOT2.ELF
                mc0:/SWAPMAGIC/SMBOOT3.ELF
                uLaunchELF is basically a ps2 file manager that allows you to search and run ps2 elf files from a original ps2 cd or dvd, memory card, usb device or PS2 HDD using a network adapter so if you place it on a usb device in folder called SWAPMAGIC on the root of your usb device "BOOT.ELF" in "uLE v4.28.zip" re-named as either of the ELF's I mentioned for
                Code:
                mass0:\
                you can then browse your original ps2 cd or dvd using uLaunchELF and load the SLES, SCUD, SCES, or SCED file which then run the game for you if SM or another cheat device still doesn't bypass the hyper security by directly booting the disc normally.
                Last edited by kevstah2004; 09-23-2008, 03:40 AM.

sigpic

Comment

Problem is that PAL/European and all new PS3's won't have PS2 backwards compatibility so I suppose this is useful only for PS3's which had it in the first place.

Comment

Obviously.

sigpic

Comment

ok is there a visual guide. i had problems in school because no one showed me what to do physically. is there a video guide on youtube or something

Comment

Yes by some guy with some kind of throat problem it seems.
                        Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Have you ever been bothered that cannot copy or back up video games? Back up virtually any game and make quality backups using a CD or DVD burner check it ou...

sigpic

Comment

Problem is that PAL/European and all new PS3's won't have PS2 backwards compatibility
                          I've got a 60gig PAL PS3 and it's backwards compatible . It dosn't have the ps2 emotion thingy in it but they made to be be able to play most ps2 games, using other tech.
                          But you're right. Sadly, the newer models have dropped the feature.

My old ps2, with an 80gig HDD, still works fine anyway. I still need it to play my imports etc, because of the in game region locking (on ps2/ps1 games).
                          Last edited by Skunky; 09-24-2008, 07:43 PM.

Comment

I need to get a new PS2 and mod it myself, controllers won't work on either port on my current slimline PS2, think months of it gathering dust on my desk under a load of books got to it.

Comment

Hard or Soft-mod? Free MC Boot is now available to soft-mod a ps2 coupled along with the newly created ESR for running backups makes it the best solution out there there's also a PS1 emulator planned for the PS2 for running backups which will possibly enhanced the graphics also.

Last edited by kevstah2004; 09-25-2008, 08:04 AM.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X