PDA

View Full Version : RPD Dispatch 6 - Resident Evil (Movie)

Dot50Cal
11-13-2008, 03:14 PM
So, I forgot to make this topic :lol:

Will anyone be joining us in our movie watching? Gene suggested that I check out Romero's original script, and after discussing things with Rombie a bit, I found that the script is infact real ^_^ So I'll try and give it a read through before the podcast so we can discuss it as well a bit. I'm hoping he can call in and expand upon that a bit. I think its some interesting stuff.

Another interesting thing he provided was an early script by Anderson. I'll attempt to give that a read through as well. I got my copies all printed out and ready to go -.-

TheBatMan
11-13-2008, 03:26 PM
The early Anderson script is even worse if i remember correctly. I think the roles of JD and Rain were swapped round and in the end the survivors pile into an armoured car and rumble on into Raccoon City.

The Romero script would make a great discussion i think.

REmaster
11-13-2008, 04:32 PM
Yea I actually read through the romero script a few weeks ago,let's just say it has it's moments of both bad and good. It would have been intersting to see the s.t.a.r.s. team in the movie but I don't know if romero's portrayal would've been well recieved.Then again, i guess anything would have been better than no s.t.a.r.s. team at all. I second that TheBatMan.

Ridley W. Hayes
11-13-2008, 04:37 PM
I didn't know about an early Anderson script... is there any place where is available for download or is it a collector's item?

REmaster
11-13-2008, 04:45 PM
I think it I read it on www.residentevilfan.com

riderkid
11-13-2008, 04:53 PM
can i join in DOT, im trying to make a commentary track to be played during the movie rifftrax style.

Dot50Cal
11-13-2008, 06:43 PM
We got a full cast already :P Heres both scripts if anyones interested, courtesy of Rombie.

http://dot50cal.the-horror.com/resident_evil_romero.txt
http://dot50cal.the-horror.com/rescripta.txt

riderkid
11-13-2008, 06:47 PM
ok, but if your goin to do apocolypse next please look me up

-Evil Shady-
11-13-2008, 07:04 PM
I really don't like Romero's script.... we would have the same bullshit about it not being true to the series, even with the mansion and everything...

I like the first movie.... It's not my favorite, not even close to it, but I like how it doesn't touch the series in a way.... it's set on unexplored territory, it doesn't mess up (ok, only a little bit) with the story and the characters....

Vector
11-13-2008, 08:27 PM
Thanks for bringing back that amazing feeling of complete and utter disappointment that I got when I first saw this movie on DVD.

Archelon
11-13-2008, 09:23 PM
Honestly, I think Romero's Resident Evil would have been worse than Anderson's in the same sense that I consider Silent Hill a worse video game movie than, say, Super Mario Bros. or Street Fighter. No, really.

Perhaps I should explain. Or at least try to explain. For me, Romero's Resident Evil was close enough to the game that all of the changes bothered me that much more. I'm not sure if that makes sense. Anderson's films were so far removed from the source material that the blatant changes didn't really bother me, because I didn't expect anything else.

In the case of Romero, you have someone who seems to have really understood the source material, which is why it was all the more disappointing to see him so liberally screw with the established lore. It's like with Silent Hill. The art direction and visuals of the movie were spot on. Probably the most faithful any video game movie has been to its inspiration. But it's that very fact that made the rest of it (the story, the script, the acting, etc.) so utterly disappointing, and frankly, downright embarassing.

You clearly had someone who, if nothing else, understood the visual aspect of Silent Hill. It's almost like leading you into a false sense of security. It draws you in initially, but then when you get to the actual substance (or lack thereof) of the film, you are left sorely wanting.

On the other hand, when the filmmakers mess up everything so spectacularly like in the aforementioned Super Mario Bros. or Street Fighter, I find it much easier to watch those movies, because there are no redeeming qualities (at least not in the same sense as Silent Hill's visuals). I know what I'm getting into with them. It's not a bait and switch. I'm not saying that's what the Silent Hill filmmakers intended, mind you. It's just the best way I can describe it.

As I said, I'm not sure any of that makes sense, but I hope it does.

riderkid
11-13-2008, 10:11 PM
i actually have an resident evil movie story.

my dad took a day off to see the movie and i was really psyched...then after seeing it i wanted to kill him ymself and the theatre staff.

my friend took me dragging to apocalypse and after wards i told him all it was missing was a musical number and i could have mistaken it for freakin beauty and the beast...with guns.

also i told him if he took me to see extinction i would kill him with a copy of tokobots. then he tried to make me watch it on DVD...i never took the amtrak until that day!

so in all i will rent degeneration before i buy because if it does indeed rule i will take a knife and fork and eat my leg

Mr. Spencer
11-13-2008, 10:19 PM
How I managed to get through the film, I'll never know.

Dot50Cal
11-13-2008, 10:48 PM
You guys are way too harsh on it. I sort of agree with Archelons point, that the changes didn't bother me so much, because it was so far removed from the main plot of the games.

Honestly, I don't think its bad film. The only thing I really took issue with is Michelle Rodriguez. Shes way too type-cast. I'm not sure if thats her fault or the people who get her on projects.

riderkid
11-13-2008, 10:56 PM
ok so the first one wasn't bad, but it felt like chinese water torture, or a bad scifi movie.

Bertha
11-14-2008, 12:04 AM
From what I read of Romero's script, he did know what he was dealing with a bit better than Anderson (as Archelon stated). However from what I remember (and its been a long time since I've skimmed it), his characterizations were a bit off. Ada was a researcher and Spencer's lover (I think), and Wesker seemed to be a bit more on the "Oh hi guys...I'm gonna go crazy now!" side. The STARS members...actually seemed rather flat to me.

This is only my opinion...and like I said its been a looong time since I read the script. I think I read it before RE4 went to the PS2 actually...so yeah...its been a while.

I do think one of the reasons why people would have rather had the Romero version is because of his movie history...and because his movie actually included more of what the games were made of. However, I think his movies stood the chance of being greater disappointments (if that's possible) to fans.

We'll really never know since a movie is really based on both the script, and the actors that make it come to life. A shitty script can be forgiven if an actor is good enough, but a good actor can be ruined by a shitty script (again...goes both ways).

There's my thoughts guys...I hope its not too long winded.

Rombie
11-14-2008, 12:27 AM
I'm intending to make an MP3 at least because, although I'm not a fan of the movies at all, I have some weird twisted interest in their devleopment. I think thats really just due to my interest and background in Film and Television.

I really should have tried to organize to use Skype with you guys, but I'm worried the line distance between here and the US would cause problems akin to Mr. Spencer just across the Atlantic.

I'll try and record something before Sunday. I've got a cold right now so it will be interesting to say the least.

REmaster
11-14-2008, 12:59 AM
I hear ya rombie. I had a cold when I finished my recording a few days ago, but I have a geeky kinda voice anyways:lol:

Damn I forgot to mention that in my recording Dot but I totally agree with you about Michelle Rodriguez, I thought almost every line she said was cheesy because she was a generic "tough" character.

Dot50Cal
11-14-2008, 01:07 AM
I just got finished reading Anderson's early script. Theres a few changes and I marked them down as I went so I can lay them out during the podcast. I'll get to Romero's tomorrow.

John and I also finished the movie, so thats all thats left ;)

Rob, if you want to give Skype a shot it might work, but with a guy in Japan, Britain, and the States, it'll be tough coordinating time, haha. We're set to record at 9PM EST (East coast). For perspective on that (if you have your time set right on the boards) its 2:07AM right now.

Add me on skype "bifftannentruewinner" and we can discuss it a bit :)

Rombie
11-14-2008, 02:23 AM
9PM EST Saturday = 3PM Sunday locally. I should be around for that. I'll give the line a test when I get home from work tonight.

Nomad9026
11-14-2008, 12:47 PM
Originaly I wanted to say something about Romeros script in my message, so I dowloaded it, stared to read it and... stopped right after the "Chris sleping with Jill" part. I belive it was the 2nd page. But I would still love to hear what you guys will say about it. And will you mention the movie alternative ending (that sucked)?

Vector
11-14-2008, 12:53 PM
Chris banged Jill? Maybe I should read this script.

Nomad9026
11-14-2008, 01:03 PM
No actual "bang" part, it is revealed in the very beginning that they are lovers, cause she wakes up in his bad, and all that stuff that usually goes after it. And sure read the script,I just had no guts to finish it:)

Vector
11-14-2008, 01:08 PM
Banging > implied banging.

Nevermind what I said about reading the script.

REmaster
11-14-2008, 01:33 PM
Yea I really had to struggle to get through that part, as well as the rest of the script. It seemed to me like the whole script was taking abunch of characters/scenes from the game and then altering them to the point where they pretty much had nothing to do with it. Sometimes I just don't understand why it's so hard for people to make a script based of a best-selling game when they pretty much have their work cut out for themselves. Obviously, you shouldn't make durastic changes to the plot/characters if that's what drew in all the fans. I hated to see Romero's script scrapped since he was one the game's influences, but it just had too many problems.

Mr_Zombie
11-14-2008, 01:51 PM
The one thing I just hate about Romero's script is that he turned Chris from a marksman from a special force into a native American that contemplate nature... I really don't understand why he did that.
Apart from that, the script is ok. It isn't 100% true to the game, but at least it tries to tell the game's story one way or another instead of creating super Alice and evil AI :/.

Sephiroth
11-14-2008, 03:46 PM
I enjoyed whaching Anderson's film I gess it's because there ist any other live action resident evil films out there at the moment and I gess that's why I enjoy whaching them the only problem with Anderson is in one of his interviews he said he's always been resident evil fan and he always wanted to make live ation films and make them the way he see fits not the fans way but his way and that why most fans think his films are shit. But I think the 1st one was the best out of the other too the second film it the poorist one out of all of them I think we will get other people out there who might do there own verison of resident evil I re read though Romero's original script that that has some intresting part in there like.

Dot50Cal
11-14-2008, 07:27 PM
The phone line on skype is open now. So if anyone wants to call in, you can do so now.

Bertha
11-15-2008, 12:52 AM
Chris banged Jill? Maybe I should read this script.

Taken from the script itself

INT JILL'S APARTMENT DAWN

CHRIS walks into a characterless apartment. He quietly
sheds his clothes. Even in silhouette, we can see that his
body is in perfect shape, not pumped, but lean and tight.
Moving lithely, with the natural gr-ace of a cat, he eases
himself into a bed where...

...a beautiful young girl, JILL VALENTINE, seems to be fast
asleep. As Chris nestles in beside her, we see that her
eyes, facing away, are open. Chris gently drapes an arm
around her and lets his body relax.

CHRIS
(A whisper) Glad you're still
here, lady

JILL
It's my apartment.

For some reason when I pasted and posted it, the word ***** was **** out but oh well...there you go. Like I said...re-reading the script...the characters are bleh. Ada is Marcus's lover I think...not Spencer's like I thought at first. Again...been a while...and I dont plan on reading it again.

edit again- Um....why is the word gr-ace edited out?

Anyway...Marcus Confirmed as Ada's lover.

ADA
The man I loved, John Marcus...
developed the organism that caused
all this. He... he did it for
humanitarian purposes. It was
taken away from him...for in-human
purposes...by men like you!

WESKER
No, ma'am. Men like me... are just
errand boys. Sent in to do the
wet-work. All of the glory. None
of the benefits.

If anyone wants to read the script...just google it.

Helegad
11-15-2008, 01:26 AM
***** is a dirty word... don't ever mention it :P

Skunky
11-15-2008, 03:57 AM
I look forward to hearing this. :)
I actually liked the 2nd one best, out of the 3 films. The first is okay. There is a lot I hate about it and it's really a pretty crap movie over all but I don't find it completely unwatchable.
One of my (many) complaints is the look of the zombies. They look SHIT! It is so obvious that the scars and wounds on their faces have been added via a computer. It looks weak and cheap. Compare the zombies with those in Day of the Dead (made in 1985) and its just pathetic.

Helegad
11-15-2008, 06:35 AM
I called in! :D

I am determined to call into every podcast :P

Darkmoon
11-15-2008, 09:33 AM
If only I could find my mic...

Well, the first movie is the best of the bunch. It's plothole are big enough for only a person on a small bike to drive through, rather than the ones in the other movies which are more super tanker sized.

Of course, it isn't scary. And there are major problems when more people die to lazy beams in a zombie movie than, say, zombies. And Alice's rise to super awesomeness begins by kicking dogs to death and, of course, killing a zombie with her thighs. So it's a crap horror movie.

But compared to Apocolypse and, of course, Extinction it isn't so bad. Then again, compared to Apocolypse, syphillis isn't so bad.

Nomad9026
11-15-2008, 09:50 AM
Darkmoon, you know I absolutely agree with you here. Even more, I actually used the same arguments in my message. It's good to know that someone have similar opinion. But will you mention the deleted ending of the movie?

riderkid
11-15-2008, 10:53 AM
i sent my ? via email, mostly due ot my piece of crap mic

aris13
11-15-2008, 10:55 AM
What time we can expect the podcast?

Project Omega
11-15-2008, 11:31 AM
If you guys get a chance, listen to the commentaries for the first film as they are abit funny to watch. One of my favorite parts was when Anderson said something along the lines of "this happened to me as a child" in reference to the events of the movie. It was amusing to me anyway...

Archelon
11-15-2008, 01:14 PM
If you guys get a chance, listen to the commentaries for the first film as they are abit funny to watch. One of my favorite parts was when Anderson said something along the lines of "this happened to me as a child" in reference to the events of the movie. It was amusing to me anyway...

"Yogurt?! Yogurt?!"

Dot50Cal
11-15-2008, 02:26 PM
Nomad, You mean the ending where Alice goes to Umbrella HQ? Interestingly enough, If I'm remembering right, that ending was only shown on the UK DVD release. It wasn't until one of the subsequent re-releases that the US got it.

I recall on the commentaries, Milla going off on one of the people for saying Jovovich, rather than Yovovich. It might have been Rodriguez. Infact, she explicitly says her name at one point for a clip intro, I think it was for MTV. She pronounces it very clearly, so maybe she just came off the set with Rodriguez calling her that XD

We're recording in 6 hours, so if you have a call-in, or a post you want read on air, do it before then. The podcast will likely go up early Sunday, but no promises on that. It depends on how much editing there is. It may be the afternoon.

Stars1356
11-15-2008, 04:42 PM
I didn't like Romero's script because it was a bastardized version of the game. I believe if that version came out, people would get confused on both storylines. Anderson's version sucks too but at least I can say it has nothing to do with the game. It wasn't until he started adding characters from the game in the second movie that I really started to get pissed off.

Helegad
11-15-2008, 07:25 PM
I would prefer to have a reputable director like Romero doing Resident Evil than Anderson anyway.

Darkmoon
11-16-2008, 03:48 AM
Well, I notice a lot of folk talking about how Romero's version would have been worse because, while more likely the better horror movie, screwed the plotline. The Anderson version didn't. Which is fair enough. It wasn't a great movie but it could, just about, have been canon. They seemed to be trying for it. I could understand why they went with Anderson over Romero...

Right up until Apocolypse. When I first heard it was being made I was actually quite interested. A tale of survivors in Raccoon City during the outbreak? Hey, I can live with that. And with no lazy beams maybe we'll have a decent horror movie. And show the true horror of Umbrella as Alice is attacked by Nemesis on his way to finish off Jill, and finds no humanity left in his mutated frame as the Nemesis Parasite completely dominantes him...

And then the movie's cast and characters came out and a little piece of me died. Still, I figure, how bad can it be? Hey, look, it's out on my birthday...I demand Anderson give me back that birthday.

As soon as I saw Apocolypse I started questioning why Romero was passed up when Anderson was allowed to Gang-Bang cannon in a far worse way than the Romero script did.

Helegad
11-16-2008, 03:51 AM
God, why do people hate Apocalypse so bad!? It was a great action film! That's all I ask from a film!!!

Dot50Cal
11-16-2008, 03:52 AM
We finished recording. I went a bit long on my Romero script explanation, and actually ended up summarizing the entire thing. So maybe we'll put that as its own separate download for people who want to know about it.

The podcast should be up late Sunday. I have a lot of stuff to cull through for editing.

I should also mention that Rombie joined us for this. It worked out, because towards the end John got a bad headache so he had to leave.

Darkmoon
11-16-2008, 04:08 AM
God, why do people hate Apocalypse so bad!? It was a great action film! That's all I ask from a film!!!

Well...because it was crap at anything that didn't involve shooting? A story so awful it made zombies cry, because it manages to take all the elements intereting from the Raccoon City outbreak and kill them. Dead.

- People fighting for survival? Half of them get let out by Umbrella, through the giant wall. The other half must simply cower where Alice can save them.

- Mad scientist being insane? Noooo. He's saving his daughter, silly. Who'll die later anyway.

- The giant wall. Just because it annoys the hell out of me.

- Any character not named Alice having a tiny, bit part and, half the time, being there for the purpose of being saved by Alice.

Then you have the horror elements, in what is, in theory, a horror movie. Except, really, it isn't a horror movie. It's a bad action movie and so there is no fear. Only more Alice. Do you ever feel she might be in danger? Even a little? I know I didn't. Same with Jill and Carlos, although in there case it was because Alice was there to save them.

And, hell, the action is pretty sub-par as well when you think about it. Some scenes are decent enough but for an action movie? It's really quite lacking. Compare it to a real action movie and the scenes are too short, and too few.

So...while it worked for you Helegad, most folk view it as having no redeaming features. Ever. At all. And since your best defence of the movie was, 'Well stuff gets shot in pretty fashion,' I don't think you're gonna way many folks. The story is crap, all characters not Alice are pale shadows of what they should be and there are plotholes you can pilot the Britania through.

Which is sad, because if they'd simply set the movie in Raccoon City, maybe given Jill and Carlos cameos, had Nemesis kick a little ass, they'd have had plenty of room for there own plot and not simply badly butchered a story that wasn't that great to start with.

Helegad
11-16-2008, 04:13 AM
Well whatever. I still liked it, though I agree with your point that Alice took over most of the movie.

Dot, keep your Romero script summarization in the main podcast. No point downloading two files.

Mr. Spencer
11-16-2008, 04:56 AM
I should also mention that Rombie joined us for this. It worked out, because towards the end John got a bad headache so he had to leave.

No idea where it came from either, just happened out of the blue. I blame those smoothies I drank. Bloody pineapple, it completely took the edge out of it. Apples, bananas, limes, they all work well together. Lime is a bit zingy, but it's a necessary zing, the apples and bananas provide a decent counterpoint to the lime, and then you have this horrible bitter pineapple taste permeating through and spoiling everything. It just doesn't work, get rid of it.

Strawberries, strawberries are good. They'll go with mostly anything, raspberries, blueberries, blackberries, any of the summer fruits really. Cherries though, they're different. Now you're dealing with a whole different kettle of fish. Best to leave cherries as they are, maybe throw in some citrus fruits to give it a bit of an edge. But pineapples? Keep those out of smoothies, or any fruit-based beverage for that matter. They decimate any flavour they come into contact with, it's a bastard fruit.

Helegad
11-16-2008, 05:16 AM
You should do a segment in RPD Dispatch 7 about smoothies.

Sephiroth
11-16-2008, 10:22 AM

I think the reason why most peppole doint like Apocalypse it's just there are some corny parts in the moive I wish it's could have been longer they try to put so much in the a once and there some scens were it was a bit daff but the one thing at most fant and me got pissed off about in the film was the Nemesis turing into a good guy and getting killed by a chopper at was to simple I mean the Tyrant in the 3rd film got sliced by the lasers that was alot coller than the Nemesis getting crushed by a chopper.

Nomad9026
11-16-2008, 11:33 AM
Kind of late, but still... yeah Dot, I ment that ending. Reminds me about some of the Matrix and Ultraviolet scenes.

Dot50Cal
11-16-2008, 06:08 PM
The podcast will be up in around 7 hours or so. Possibly a bit later. I ended up sleeping a lot longer than I wanted to. I'll get to editing soon.

shanemurphy
11-16-2008, 07:09 PM
Hi Dot, just wondering what time you might have the podcast up?

It's 1:00 AM here and I hope to listen to it before I snooze.

Thanks

Dot50Cal
11-16-2008, 08:25 PM
Hey Shane, I don't think it'll be up in time. I'm starting editing now. We have about 4 hours of recording that I need to go through. I may just have to cut this one in half, if there isn't a lot of excess.

shanemurphy
11-16-2008, 09:33 PM
Hey Shane, I don't think it'll be up in time. I'm starting editing now. We have about 4 hours of recording that I need to go through. I may just have to cut this one in half, if there isn't a lot of excess.

No problem, I will look forward to it tomorrow hopefully, I read Romero's script a few months ago, the whole Chris not been a S.T.A.R.S member was alittle iffy in my opinion, but it definately had it's up sides.

Dot50Cal
11-16-2008, 10:58 PM
Probably around 3 hours from now, but no promises. If its not done by then, I'll be off to work for a while. So it'll be 8 or so :P

Dot50Cal
11-17-2008, 01:08 AM
Yeah, this wont be done until probably 5 hours or so. Sorry guys, I need to head to work for a little bit. Editing this took longer than expected.

Helegad
11-17-2008, 01:15 AM
Damn! I'm looking forward to this! :P

REmaster
11-17-2008, 02:12 AM
I hear ya Helegad! I think it will certainly be a very interesting edition.

REmaster
11-17-2008, 02:17 AM
I think I'm just gonna go to bed, since I know the podcast will definitely be up by the time I wake up. Thanks for all the hard work Dot, I know it's a pain to go through all that recording time.

Helegad
11-17-2008, 02:32 AM
I should be able to listen to it while I'm lying in bed at 9:00. Then I'll fall asleep after ^_^

Skunky
11-17-2008, 05:13 AM
Well I quite liked it, Helegad.
The 3 movies are all pretty crappy but I enjoyed Apocalypse more than the other 2. There were a number of things I enjoyed about it but I'll save that for when or if there is an Apocalypse podcast thread. Basically, it's an entertaining film.
As I said, all the movies are pretty bad but the first film I also found rather dull and boring. It's not good enough to be taken seriously, it dosn't contain enough action or fun for me to just switch of my brain and enjoy it, the production values are weak and cheap, failing to impress, the story does very loosely resemble a Resident Evil imitation but it's not enough to drag the thing out of lameness and there are no scares and very little gore.
I guess it's better than the 3rd film (although, I've only watched that one once, so I could change my mind) but Apocalypse is WAY better than both of them. I know a lot of people think different but I couldn't give a shit. :P

Edit: I forgot to mention that, it pains me to say it, but the Laser room scene was probably the best part of the movie. It has the best cinematography, the best effects and the best gore in the film... Capcom liked the scene so much, they ported it over to the games.

Dot50Cal
11-17-2008, 09:01 AM
The final runtime will be about 3 hours, sorry. We'll have a strict limit of 1 hour 30 minutes max anymore. This is just way too much work to edit and it makes me miss the deadlines. The next one should be a nice short one. I'll have this one up soon.

Dot50Cal
11-17-2008, 09:43 AM
http://www.the-horror.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2929
Posted!

REmaster
11-17-2008, 02:02 PM
Another great edition to the podcast:P

Andyfer_Ruu
11-17-2008, 03:18 PM
downloading it now!
these podcasts are great, i always look forward to the next one.

Helegad
11-18-2008, 06:50 AM
Awww, I think the longer the podcast, the better :( I'll miss the really long ones *sniffle* :P

umbrella corpse
03-31-2009, 06:37 PM
i loved this pod cast i listened to the whole thing!
but i would like to voice some opinion's
first:arent there umbrella logo's on everything in the game also umbrella makes everything by the way even soda!
second:i actually liked the second movie most because it had more actual r.e in it
third:i hate the licker in the r.e movie..also i wish they had made the romero script
fourth:i think the train is called alexi as an homage to code veronica

TheSelfishGene
04-17-2009, 09:14 PM
I was going through some old gaming magazines - and found the one which contains the original RE movie poster. I think I mentioned I'd seen it on the podcast. I know Rob brought it up. Anyways, the magazine is called HYPER, Issue 49, November 1997. It's an Australian and NZ magazine. November 1997 would mean that the movie talk even pre-dates the release of Biohazard 2. The small write up says that Jason Patric will be Chris, and Samantha Mathis will be Jill. There is also a pic of someone in a STARS costume, but I'm not sure who it is.

Rombie
04-18-2009, 02:40 AM
As I recall that screen wasn't anything official, I think that was probably some cosplay or something. The Patric and Mathis thing was an early IMDb/gaming site speculation, but then again there was that poster which does have a near-exact tag line that was still used on the finished film five years later. I was starting working on websites around this time but I can't recall much more than that...