IGN posts Gamecube - PS2 RE4 comparison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IGN posts Gamecube - PS2 RE4 comparison

IGN has a detailed look at the differences between the games. You can check it out by clicking here.

At a quick glance they seem to be using low quality screenshots so take them with a grain of salt.

Insiders only of course but here are few bulletin points, quotes and screenshots from the article:
    Features

GameCube Advantages

* None

PlayStation 2 Advantages

* Ada's "Seperate Ways" mission
    * Alternate costumes for Leon & Ashley
    * Plaga-removal Laser

Control

GameCube Advantages

* Quicker / more responsive movement & aiming

PlayStation 2 Advantages

* Alternate controller layout (optional)

Graphics

GameCube Advantages

* Stronger framerate-- Only during boss battles and areas within the frozen lab.
    * Higher resolution for environmental textures
    * Stronger lighting effects

GameCube Disadvantages

* No true widescreen--Letterboxed

PlayStation 2 Advantages

* True 16:9 Widescreen-- though not much is added to what you see on screen

PlayStation 2 Disadvantages

* Less detail in textures-- On environments and characters
    * Minor Aliasing
    * Framerate--Minor slowdown during boss battles and tight-spaces
    * Weaker visual atmosphere--less contrast between light and dark
    * Less polygons
    * Subdued or completely missing particle effects

Sound

GameCube Advantages

* Dolby Pro Logic II

GameCube Disadvantages

* None

PlayStation 2 Advantages

* Dolby Pro Logic II

* Compressed Sound Effects
    The SFX library is significantly compressed on the PS2 installment, making everything from dynamite explosions to cutting-open boxes sound squashed, and that overall loss of dynamics weakens the oh-so important level of suck-you-in immersion that separates RE4 from so many other games. Certain pre-recorded effects sound bland and lack the range of frequencies decibal range of the identical sounds on the GCN. A prime example is the shattering of porcelain vases in the second and third chapters of the main story. The high end frequencies you're supposed to be hearing when the shards break apart are missing, and it leaves this muddy artificial sound in its place. Whether or not this is a porting issue I can't say, but if I had to guess; the drop in overall sound quality on PS2 was likely due to the memory constraints of the PS2 hardware.

Presentation

GameCube Advantages

* Faster loading between areas

GameCube Disadvantages

* None

PlayStation 2 Advantages

* None

* Pre-rendered cutscenes
    * Longer load times-- 4-7 sec. between areas
    * Less immersive atmosphere-- Due to graphical shortcommings
    By being pre-rendered, all the cutscenes on PS2 that you'll see during the central story adventure will feature Leon and Ashley in their original costumes, despite if you've chosen one of the two unlockable alternate outfits. True widescreen format was installed in the PS2 copy but doesn't provide a much wider view of the action than the letterboxed faux-widescreen GCN setup which adds the black bars on the top and bottom of the screen even if you played on a widescreen TV. If you prefer to play games in 4:3 (full screen) than the 16:9 PS2 setting can be turned off, unlike the unchangeable letterbox viewing format on the GCN.
    Final Verdict
    Summing Up: If you desire greater level of options, and a more versatile experience with successive playthroughs; go with the PS2 version for all it's bonus features.

If you prefer greater level of graphical detail, more dynamic sound, and a more intense and immersive atmosphere; pick up the original GameCube version.
    Last edited by Simo; 10-31-2005, 07:23 AM.

Comment

I cant beleive how sloppy they were with the screenshots...I mean the Gigante one is a VIDEO in the PS2 one so of course its gonna look the same..

Comment

the most noticeable thing i can think of are leon's hair. Otherwise its all good.

Comment

To me as a gamer who doesn't own a GC the PS2 was the only option to play this game so these comparisions are not that big a deal to me but I am interested and seeing what the differences are.

But when they talk about slowdown they mention boss battles and stuff, i beat the main game 3 days after it came out, since i never played it on GC I was addicted, and yesterday I experienced my first slowdown, but not in the main game but in Mercs. The boss battles ran fine for me and I'm not sure what they are talking about in tight places but i guess if you don't kill all the bad guys like i did maybe it could cause some.

My slowdown happened on the castle level of mercs playing as ada with the time being in the red i ran to grab a clock thing that is located where the cannon comes up in the main game and when i grabbed it and the bonus time thing there and turned around it slowed down for a few secs but it made the use of the SAR on about 8 guys real easy like a matrix type thing. It was fully playable and if you didn't know better you would think it was an ability or something, I think it came from the ps2 having to stop the chopper sound add the time in, put the bonus thing up and control 8 guys coming at me plus a couple of archers who were way off to the right, but it only lasted about 10 secs at most and having played mercs a ton, cause i love it, and playing castle alot, cause for some reason i am bad at it and can't even survive most of the time, i have been unable to get the game to slowdown again.
          Last edited by Guest; 10-31-2005, 12:00 PM.

Comment

Just wanted to post this
            I don't know how old this thread is, but even so, this definately helps clearing up anything. Sorry if you guys find it annoying when people reply to OLD threads...

btw, most widescreen TV's have a zoom function or "stretching" function that allows the GCN version to be played in full 16:9 mode on a widescreen tv. I know I always play it that way. There is a tiny bit of artifacting if you go up close, as most of the cheaper end or older TVs can't do this function as well, but if you have a WEGA or an Aqous, you should be great ;)

Comment

Working...
            X