A Very Simple Method for Dealing With Spam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Very Simple Method for Dealing With Spam

I propose Dot require a one-time registration fee for new members, ala SomethingAwful. It would absolutely erase all spam and discourage trolls like Beasly from ever posting here again.

I would gladly pay to post on this site.

It limits the crowd and ultimately is not needed. We'll find an effective way soon enough, its something thats being looked at.

Comment

I think the restricted registration will have to do for now. He just created another account
      sigpic
      Are you tired, Rebecca?

Comment

Nah. We'd never take money from the users like that.
        We're trying to run this as non-profit as humanly possible, really.
        (Which is why you see no ads around here and why the hosting and domain bills and such are just going straight in the direction of Dot50Cal's mail box)

Besides, if there was a small fee, people who paid and evt. got banned for misbehavior might feel like they have some sort of rights as they've paid to be here.

Comment

Originally posted by Carnivol View Post
          Nah. We'd never take money from the users like that.
          We're trying to run this as non-profit as humanly possible, really.
          (Which is why you see no ads around here and why the hosting and domain bills and such are just going straight in the direction of Dot50Cal's mail box)

Besides, if there was a small fee, people who paid and evt. got banned for misbehavior might feel like they have some sort of rights as they've paid to be here.
          Like I said, look at SomethingAwful. They have been charging users since I think 2001 and there are literally thousands of posters and zero spam. Sure people get banned, they just have to pay ten more dollars to come back. IMO it's an amazing way to keep only desirable posters around. And, if, the trolls keep on coming back, that's more money for the site.

Comment

SomethingAwful is not a Resident Evil fansite.
            PROJECT Umbrella - The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium

Comment

^ Nobody said it was, lulz.

I do however, think Corrin's idea sound's like it could work. Atleast on trolls.

Comment

Originally posted by CiarenDevlin View Post
                SomethingAwful is not a Resident Evil fansite.
                Really?

I'm using that site as an example of anti-spam and anti-troll tactics at their finest.

Comment

Wouldn't having to pay to register turn a lot of people away from the forum? People come here, all excited to join an RE forum, only to have their hopes and dreams smashed by a required fee? I know that's a bit dramatic, but I think charging to register would hurt, not help, the forum.

Sure, the trolls are gone, but so are the new people

Comment

Besides, not everyone has PayPal or a credit/debit card. I think implementing a charge in the middle of an economic recession isn't the best of ideas. I think changing it so that the admins have to accept newly registered users like neoGAF would be a better idea.

Comment

We're never charging for anything on the site. That's a silly idea

Comment

I thought so too kthx.

Comment

Originally posted by Corrin View Post
                          Really?

I'm using that site as an example of anti-spam and anti-troll tactics at their finest.
                          My point is that making someone pay to post on a fansite is pretty anal.

Would you? I know I wouldn't. It's a ridiculous idea.

I think changing it so that the admins have to accept newly registered users like neoGAF would be a better idea.
                          This.
                          PROJECT Umbrella - The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium

Comment

If it comes to that, I'll consider it. But its a lot of work. That would be a last resort though. Thus far, we've handled problems a-ok, with the aid of DarkMoon and Carnivol. And heck, thats only 3 people who can outright ban people. So for now I think we are fine.

Comment

No thanks. I'd rather just leave THIA than pay 10 bucks.
                              Seibu teh geimu?
                              ---

Comment

Working...
                              X