White Knight Chronicles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• White Knight Chronicles

This game looks something like a cross between Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers and Final Fantasy. Still, I think it looks good. There's no announcement of it coming west so far, and that concerns me...and I'm not sure of how it's selling in Japan, as I bet that would have a big part of deciding whether or not to release it in North America/Europe. So far, this RPG is exclusive to Japan. I really hope it comes west.

Combat gameplay: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/44400.html
    Boss cinematic: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/44468.html
    Boss battle: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/44473.html

The only thing I can find about the story sounds pretty 'meh':

During the princess of Balandor’s coming of age ceremony, a group known as the “Wizard” raids the kingdom looking for the power of “Knight.”

A young man named Leonard escapes into a cellar and finds a mysterious set of armor, which transforms him into the White Knight, and he defeats the Wizard’s enormous monster. However, the princess was kidnapped during the battle. Leonard sets off with his new-found power to find the kidnapped princess.

This, however, makes the game sound more like an MMO:

Online vs offline mode: When offline, Leonard is the main character and plays through the story. When online, up to 4 players cooperate to battle as their created character. A video demonstrates a number of characters traveling together through the countryside, the customization options. Male and female characters are shown, with vastly different looks. The type of character (warrior, magic user, etc) is customizable as well. Players can invite others from within the game, and another joins.

I don't know what to think, but with the lack of good JRPG's lately, I thought this was worth a topic.

The battle system looks pretty cool. If there's a shred of a good story in this game, I'm definitely interested. I'm craving a good RPG in a bad way. I intend to pick up Valkyria Chronicles and Fallout 3 some day when I have money, but this is the type of RPG I'm looking for...at least until Final Fantasy XIII and Versus XIII release sometime in the next 83 years.

The online play looks interesting. I still don't know enough about this game to pick it up and import it, but hear it is COMING to the west at some point. Which means one of us can just import it if need be. There's definitely a lot of hype surrounding the project.

Personally I've already got two RPGs to play through with finishing touches to be put on a third (Last Remnant, Blue Dragon and Infinite Undiscovery, respectively) so I might hold off till a local release for this one.

Comment

I like the idea of 4 player co-op online. I've never played an MMORPG so I'm interested.

What I'm not interested in, however, is the lack of voice chat support. That NEEDS be added for western audiences.

Comment

I may be wrong, but I thought you play as the person accompanying Leonard, which puts a nice little twist on the story. Then again, like I said, I could be wrong.

Comment

I just posted what I could find...it's Japanese only, so details could end up being sketchy, obviously.

Comment

Well in Game Informer, they say a few things (again, this is all from memory so don't quote me):
            1. You create a character that accompanies Leonard through the quest.
            2. PS3 exclusive (but we all know how well RPGs on PS3 stay exclusive )
            3. ...Most of the stuff you posted.

Comment

Well, this answers some questions. Great preview by IGN.
              Last edited by Vector; 01-24-2009, 01:13 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X