Magazine Scans and Piracy - NO!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magazine Scans and Piracy - NO!

I think with Resident Evil 5's release right around the corner, that it is time to remind everyone about our stance on piracy and magazine scans.

So apparently, some people just can't get it through their heads what is an isn't acceptable here at the boards and have been bombarding the moderators with PM's, whining about infractions and such because they just couldn't wait to tell everyone that they illegally watched Degeneration. So now its time to set some things straight:

1). Admitting you pirated any form of meda (and lets be honest, the only reason you'd be saying that you "JUST SAW" Degeneration was piracy) earns you a one month ban from the site.

2). THIA distinguishes from BETA and RETAIL games. Thus, beta games won't earn you a ban.

3). Mag scans - no no. The only thing we currently allow is non English mag scans for the news page.

4). Dark Biohazard is a mod which requires the retail version of RE2. Trying to bring up the mod, in some sad attempt to try and equate people praising the mod and those who brag about download Degeneration is just pathetic.

5). From now on, there are no more warnings. If you let on that you pirated something, you are gone for 30 days. Repeated infractions for this will earn you a permanent ban.

Please review this list, and learn it well, that includes members that have news posting privileges. The magazine industry is already dying because of the internet, it needs no help by people posting entire articles and magazines, this sort of thing eliminates jobs and job opportunities for people, like myself, who planned on being apart of it. Thank you.
    Last edited by Borman; 02-03-2009, 03:05 PM.

You should update the Degeneration bit

Comment

Originally posted by Borman View Post
      3). Mag scans - no no. The only thing we currently allow is non English mag scans for the news page.

Please review this list, and learn it well, that includes members that have news posting privileges.
      But we can still summarize articles taken from magazines (without posting their scans), right? If i remember right Dot allows brief summary by means of key points and such.
      Last edited by Sunglasses; 02-04-2009, 07:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunglasses View Post
        But we can still summarize articles taken from magazines (without posting their scans), right? If i remember right Dot allows brief summary by means of key points and such.
        I had a problem with one magazine and they told me that removing the scans, everything OK.

You speak about content of the scans isn't piracy.

Comment

View Post
          yeah, that's perfectly fine.

Comment

2). THIA distinguishes from BETA and RETAIL games. Thus, beta games won't earn you a ban.
            On this one, I would point out that THIA is NOT your "file sharing hub". Just because you somehow stumbled upon a review or development copy of Happy Fluff-Bunny and the Adventures of Captain X, it doesn't mean this is your nr.1 stop on your trip to sharing it world-wide. So no making topics for random crap with just download links. There are other places on the internet for those types of things, and I'm sure google will point you in the right direction. If you're gonna make about something like that around here, make it a meaningful one. Like, if you've got a full analysis of it or something going.

Also, "in general", when it comes to this type of material; use your mind before posting something. If it could potentially cause trouble and/or injury to the copyright/license holders (or us for that matter)... then don't put it here!

If people are uncertain about something they've got, they should probably contact Dot50Cal or one of the moderators. (Note: Not all staff and newsposters are site/forum moderators).

I'd actually revise the part about non-English. This topic is giving me some major Deja Vu feeling...

Anyway, there was a discussion somewhere/sometime about this, and in general, about magazines and scans:

Summaries and keynotes; Fine.
            Tiny segment from an article; Sure.
            Front page of the issue; OK.
            Full page/article scans; No.
            Last edited by Carnivol; 02-04-2009, 04:34 PM. Reason: Fixed (ie. removed) the incomplete sentense at the end :p

Comment

I kept the post the same from what Dot posted, so it wasnt me editing it or anything, would rather get it straight from him.

Comment

thanks for this thread i didnt no the rules about piracy untill just now thanks again

Comment

Working...
                X