Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"DVD better than Blu-ray" WHAT THE HELL!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "DVD better than Blu-ray" WHAT THE HELL!?

IGN recently posted that DVD is somehow better than blu-ray! I mean are these guy for real!!? Whats going on in todays world? Here is a link to the article.

The points they make are valid. Blu-Ray simply will not catch on. DVD is so easily available, cheap, and the difference between the two do not warrant the extra cost.

In a few years we will have another new media format. I forgot if it had a name or not but it is the disc with a capacity of a few hundred gigs. And a few years after that we will have a media disc capable of holding an entire TB of info. Blu-Ray is not the future. It's basically another Laser Disc.

Comment

didnt they say the CD was better then the DVD when DVD's first came out?

Comment

yeah and i also heard that the next media format will be a flash drive not a disk. Crazy huh?

Comment

everyone knows tape drives are where it's at.

Comment

Thats true. = )

Comment

IGNorant. They clearly don't understand how the market actually works. The first paragraph is just laughable.
              PROJECT Umbrella - The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium

Comment

HA i know HUH?

Comment

I think right now DVD is better than Blu-Ray yes, way more people have DVD players than Blu-Ray players right now, and DVD is also a lot cheaper to produce. Right now, it's the media of choice in terms of it reaching the largest amount of people, but in terms of picture quality, then even me, someone who doesn't have an HDTV and hates everything Sony produce, will say that DVD just gets its ass kicked by Blu-Ray.

Comment

Blu-Ray in now where DVD was in 2000..It's the superior new format, but don't expect it to offer every film ever made in it's beginning.

That Star Wars example from the article was pretty choice. It took Lucas way to long to release the original trilogy and I doubt that a Blu-Ray version will come anytime soon.

Give it 3 more years and maybe you'll see the tide turn in Blu-Ray's favor.

Comment

I'm not gonna read that article, but in the DVD's defense... what does the BluRay have besides extra space?

Everything else is software. The DVD has seen a few WMV-HD releases, which are basically HD videos on DVD, playable on any device capable of playing back WMV9 video (and with subtitles + multiple audio tracks and such. Oddly enough, most stand alone players only support the multiple audio tracks and not the subtitle trackers on those + they also often don't support the menus on them, but they still play them)

Some companies expressed interest in bringing the HDi features of HD DVD to regular DVDs, so if you popped a DVD into an HDi compatible player, you'll have all the fancy menu features that the old DVD system did not.

And in terms of technology... BR is more or less to DVD what SACD is to CD, but in another point of view; it's not really that much of a gap either, 'cause we have a few extra factors to consider, such as how we can losslessly compress the shit out of 2 hour long movies and still fit it on a dual layer DVD. So all that is needed is that newer players with capable hardware gets support for this type of compression (assuming their internal hardware has the juice to do so, which basically any media center, 360, HD DVD player and various newer players that supports mpeg4 video in various formats played from USB and optical storage can)

And, oh, the DVD still has the benefit of being the larger leap in technology.
                      The BR does nothing the DVD hasn't already done. It just does it in a more flashy package.

And, oh, now post about DVD vs BR should go without a general "current" picture quality mention!

I suggest that anyone who wants to see how good DVD can look to get something like the King Kong - Extended Edition or Kingdom of Heaven - Director's Cut. Or something like the recent Euro (dunno about the US) re-release of Anchorman (w/Wake-Up, Ron Burgundy). The picture quality in these look absolutely amazing. Sure, it's still an SD image up there, but if you're trying to tell me your mind is capable of digesting a sharper and more detailed image than that of those while sitting on a nice viewing distance from your own home theater... then put away those darned binoculars and start watching movies like normal people do, you freak.

Comment

i was at a brookstone where they had BR versions of iron man playing and i've seen iron man on DVD before so if you actually have a HDTV that good enough and a BR player decent enough then get blu ray, til then im stickin with my DVDs

Comment

Paying 25$ to 30$ for old movies re released on BR, while I paid 5$ for the DVD, no thanks.

Not going for BR unless they stop releasing DVDs, which I doubt will ever happen.

Though this is from the guy who bought "A History of Violence" (2005) in VHS format.
                          Last edited by Richard Aiken; 03-19-2009, 06:55 PM.

Comment

DVDs are superior, in price, which is a large thing for most people. But until DVD's start looking good on my projector, the obvious choice will always be BluRay haha

Comment

The issue stems more from where do we go from here.

Most people will say HD format is obviously where it's going, but it wont' even be disc based. It'll be direct access media, so digital download. Netflix... Microsoft... Apple... they're all focusing on this sort of thing right now. Problem is while certain countries may have or be currently setting up the infrastructure, the fact is the majority of nations around the world are too far away from this being a reliable everyday form. I'd say it's about 1 format generation (or around two consoles), so 8-12 years from being an everyday thing.

Rumors are going around that a new PSP is coming with no UMD. Rumors are also ciruclating that Microsoft's next console will not support any media disc drive, instead everything will be a digital download or purchased on memory device which you plug in.

I don't think this is viable for the next generation given the above issues with most places around the world.

But then that leaves you a question. This length of time is long enough for Blu Ray to work (it will make Blu Ray about as old as DVD is as a general commercial format - 12-13 years or so at that time). But Microsoft doesn't want Blu-Ray according to recent statement, so what will their next console use?

Comment

Working...
                              X