NPD Reveals Silent Hill Homecoming, and Origins LTD Sales

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NPD Reveals Silent Hill Homecoming, and Origins LTD Sales

Since it's NPD, it's only for the US (and canada i guess).

Silent Hill 5 - 73k (360), 84k (PS3)
    Silent Hill Origins: 80k (PS2), 154k (PSP)

so Origins seems to have done surprisingly well on the PSP. I thought that the PS2 version would sell a butt loads more, but doesn't seem like it .

edit : the article is dated from febuary ..

edit 2 : from the same article.

Silent Hill 2 - 512k
    Silent Hill 3 - 279k
    Silent Hill 4 - 209k

all PS2 numbers.
    Last edited by A-J; 03-23-2009, 04:09 AM.

I thought silent hill origins was pretty imperessive for the psp. Nice shadowing, lighting, and music went great with it. Two thumbs up.

Comment

Ouch. Umon and I were discussing this the other day prior to these numbers and he said how dead the series was is a good explanation as to how Konami has no issues sending the game offshore... but when you see those sales numbers (a combined 157K - only just more than Origins on PSP alone - making it the lowest selling title in the series) it definitely doesn't surprise me.

Comment

Originally posted by Rombie View Post
        Ouch. Umon and I were discussing this the other day prior to these numbers and he said how dead the series was is a good explanation as to how Konami has no issues sending the game offshore... but when you see those sales numbers (a combined 157K - only just more than Origins on PSP alone - making it the lowest selling title in the series) it definitely doesn't surprise me.
        Really? because it was a pretty good series. So was the movie. That one big dude with the oversized kicthen knife was really cool.

Comment

That one big dude with the oversized kicthen knife was really cool.

Comment

Originally posted by A-J View Post
            oh god lol, why would you say something like that ! :p
            What do you mean? I was just say that the guy looks cool. I didn't mean to offend you.

Comment

calling pyramid head that knife wielding dude is just wrong :p especially if you consider the cult following he's had since the Sh2 days lol..

Comment

well i didn't play the other series that much so i dont know much about the story or the characters. The game is a bit confusing for me but it looks fun and scary = )

Comment

Originally posted by hellrizer View Post
                  because it was a pretty good series.
                  There, fixed.

Yes, it was a really good series that peaked at 2 and slowly declined. Your comment about "that one big dude" with "the kitchen knife" is clearly part of the issues with Homecoming in that it's all an attempt to pay homage and fan service rather than, as with the first four games - try and create something reletively new and original while building on the basics of the town itself as a character. The pure smacking fact that Pyramid Head is used in the movie and in Homecoming when clearly it's original intent in 2 is something that's in line to be specifc with James' character irks me alone.... but overall thematically it's something Origins and Homecoming get so horribly wrong, as they're trying to emulate what worked about the earlier games, to the point where they become... even less than homage/fan wankery and more a parody of the series almost.

1 overall, 2's visuals and story and 3's visuals (which are still better than some current generation titles, including Homecoming) are the major highlights of the series. 4 got mixed comments, mixed reviews, and still has mixed opinion varying widely from really love it to really hate it. But the thing it has going for it is it took big risks and tried some stuff the series and other games never did, and while I didn't like it... I give it kudos for that. However based on that sales show interest has dropped of significantly even with people who liked the series...

And maybe, just maybe, this is a single decent counter to the point that we need to go back to some traditional horror games, because they really may not be profitable and is likely why Capcom won't go back this way either with Resident Evil.

BTW, clearly as you have no idea of the significance of the "one big dude" I really do suggest you go play the first few games in the series too, because they're far better than the titles more recently released and then you may just possibly understand things a little bit more through the later titles as well. I don't mean to sound condescending with this, it's just - as I said - the later titles are almost made on the requirements of self-indulgence of trying to emulate the best parts (ie a good chunk) of the earlier titles... so if you play those you'll probably, and not surprisingly, find them better than the later ones.

Harry Mason - Sorry, which 2 Climax titles... is this the PSP and PS2 edition? They didn't make Homecoming.... but I never played the PS2 edition of Origins in the end, only PSP. And I didn't have really too many problems with it.
                  Last edited by Rombie; 03-23-2009, 10:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rombie View Post
                    There, fixed.

Yes, it was a really good series that peaked at 2 and slowly declined. Your comment about "that one big dude" with "the kitchen knife" is clearly part of the issues with Homecoming in that it's all an attempt to pay homage and fan service rather than, as with the first four games - try and create something reletively new and original while building on the basics of the town itself as a character. The pure smacking fact that Pyramid Head is used in the movie and in Homecoming when clearly it's original intent in 2 is something that's in line to be specifc with James' character irks me alone.... but overall thematically it's something Origins and Homecoming get so horribly wrong, as they're trying to emulate what worked about the earlier games, to the point where they become... even less than homage/fan wankery and more a parody of the series almost.

1 overall, 2's visuals and story and 3's visuals (which are still better than some current generation titles, including Homecoming) are the major highlights of the series. 4 got mixed comments, mixed reviews, and still has mixed opinion varying widely from really love it to really hate it. But the thing it has going for it is it took big risks and tried some stuff the series and other games never did, and while I didn't like it... I give it kudos for that. However based on that sales show interest has dropped of significantly even with people who liked the series...

And maybe, just maybe, this is a single decent counter to the point that we need to go back to some traditional horror games, because they really may not be profitable and is likely why Capcom won't go back this way either with Resident Evil.

BTW, clearly as you have no idea of the significance of the "one big dude" I really do suggest you go play the first few games in the series too, because they're far better than the titles more recently released and then you may just possibly understand things a little bit more through the later titles as well. I don't mean to sound condescending with this, it's just - as I said - the later titles are almost made on the requirements of self-indulgence of trying to emulate the best parts (ie a good chunk) of the earlier titles... so if you play those you'll probably, and not surprisingly, find them better than the later ones.

Harry Mason - Sorry, which 2 Climax titles... is this the PSP and PS2 edition? They didn't make Homecoming.... but I never played the PS2 edition of Origins in the end, only PSP. And I didn't have really too many problems with it.
                    Hey hey i did play the older ones in 1998 but it was kinda hard and a bit confusing for me, i swear i didn't know what to do at the middle of the game of silent hill 1 for the ps1 so i just quit and started playing resident evil 2 then a few years later i started playing silent hill 4 the room and i got stuck with that plus i hate those ghosts that keeps coming out of the walls. I tried using the medallion on them but...well what do you know? No luck. Son of a bitch they killed me again oh well i will try again later. Love the movie though plus silent hill origins for the psp.

Comment

Originally posted by hellrizer View Post
                      Hey hey i did play the older ones in 1998
                      And there was only one in the 90's.

Comment

Originally posted by Gradon View Post
                        And there was only one in the 90's.
                        oh right forgot about that i was a year off but either way its just a game...a really good game. Dont know why evryone needs to get all out of whack just because i got a name wrong okay if anything i apologize to everyone for calling say "big dude with oversized kitchen knife" okay thats behind us now, lets be friends.

Comment

Well, allow me to put it to you this way.

Is Wesker the English Blond dude with sunglasses?

Is a Hunter the weird frog thing?

Is Rebecca the useless jail bait?

Pyramid Head is one of the iconic figures of Silent Hill, and so much so that many people who know little else about the series know who he is and that raping is what he does. In more ways that one, actually. Essentially, if you know nothing else about Silent Hill you know who Pyramid Head is, so 'the big dude with the oversized kitchen knife' will cause much laughter in the peanut gallery.

Comment

Is there really a difference? XP

Just kidding. But yeah, I agree with everyone here, really.

Is Leon the Superstar Action Hero? (...Oh wait...)

Aaaanyway, go play Silent Hills 1-3. I personally recommend 4 as well, but it's gotten some flak. It's more or less a 50-50 game. 50% love it and 50% don't. I say go for it. XD

Also, fear the mirror room in 3. I didn't sleep for more than three hours that night thanks to that goddamn hospital.

Comment

Originally posted by Darkmoon View Post
                              Well, allow me to put it to you this way.

Is Wesker the English Blond dude with sunglasses?

Is a Hunter the weird frog thing?

Is Rebecca the useless jail bait?

Pyramid Head is one of the iconic figures of Silent Hill, and so much so that many people who know little else about the series know who he is and that raping is what he does. In more ways that one, actually. Essentially, if you know nothing else about Silent Hill you know who Pyramid Head is, so 'the big dude with the oversized kitchen knife' will cause much laughter in the peanut gallery.
                              See why cant anyone be like darkmoon and give someone the right information instead of say "Dont go around and say that" Thank you darkmoon for clearing it up for me now i know what to say and what not too.

Comment

Working...
                              X