Chris Kramer On "Why Resident Evil 5 Isn't On Nintendo Wii"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chris Kramer On "Why Resident Evil 5 Isn't On Nintendo Wii"

Readers might remember yesterday's GDC left over article where Nintendo America's president Reggie Fils-Aime asked the reason why Resident Evil 5 or other recent Capcom titles were not on the Wii. MTV have updated the entry with Chris Kramer's answer, here's what he has to say.

Both ‘Resident Evil 5‘ and ‘Street Fighter IV‘ were designed for high-definition graphics systems using Capcom’s current in-house engine called MT Framework. To get ‘RE5′ or ‘Street Fighter IV’ out on the Wii, we would have to create all-new versions of both of these games, which is something we’re not opposed to doing. So the intention of both ‘RE5′ and ‘Street Fighter IV’ was to go for graphical showcases, which is not what the center of the bullseye Wii is aiming for. However, we do have a lot of ‘Resident Evil’ action happening on the Wii and hopefully we will have more in the future.
    Chris Kramer to Nintendo
    Last edited by A-J; 04-01-2009, 04:15 PM.

This was actually a nice reply to a somewhat awkward question from Reggie. I don't know why he expects the wii to get the same treatment as consoles 5x more powerful. I would hope Nintendo are happy with the complete domination of todays gaming market, but i don't think they will be happy untill they take the whole damn pie.

Comment

Someone should tell Chris that Street Fighter IV isn't using MT Framework .

Comment

I'm saying, gee maybe because the wii doesn't have the technology required to produce RE5 the way the creators intended lol. I'm already pissed because I have to re-buy the wii for the Darkside Chronicles. I'm not saying it's a bad system, it just doesn't have that many good games which is why I sold it in the first place.
        "One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate... and thus defy the tyrannous stars."
        Resident Evil/Castlevania/ Silent Hill/Onimusha/Tekken /Dark Souls

Comment

The thing is, aside from graphics, RE5 really doesn't do anything that couldn't be done on the Wii. The only thing that might potentially be an issue is the co-op, but they could just as easily make Sheva like your partner in RE0 or Outbreak. In fact, that would likely even be preferable to how she is now, as you would have much more control over her in single player (at least, if they made her like Billy and Rebecca in RE0).

If they made the game look at least as good as RE4, I think a lot of people would be content. Theoretically, it would look even better than RE4 did, but that really depends on how much effort Capcom was willing to put into it. Much of the stuff that required next-gen horsepower (such as the whole "eye adjusting to the change in light and darkness") isn't even present in RE5, at least not in any gameplay-affecting way. I doubt few would miss it. Heck, I'd be surprised if most people even realize that it's still in there at all in the retail version.

I suppose the Uroboros bosses might be a bit difficult to recreate, but they could just as easily make them like the Queen Leech from RE0, and there really wouldn't be much of a difference.

Comment

Yeah but RE5 without co-op is like RE:Outbreak without online - it's still playable, but much more less enjoyable.

Comment

I guess RE4's 1.4 million units on Wii wasn't enough.

Comment

Well this isn't good news at all! and i didn't know that Street Fighter IV use MT framework!

Comment

What it ultimately comes down to is the fact that a built-from-the-ground-up original Resident Evil title for the Wii (or even a Wii version of RE5) would take significantly more time and effort to make, and it would certainly cost a lot more than, say, Umbrella Chronicles. And why should Capcom bother to put any real effort into their Wii titles when just as many people will buy a title like UC, which was comprised almost entirely of reused assets? Why do you think we're getting The Dark Side Chronicles instead of a full-blown remake of RE2?

Comment

Originally posted by Archelon View Post
                    What it ultimately comes down to is the fact that a built-from-the-ground-up original Resident Evil title for the Wii (or even a Wii version of RE5) would take significantly more time and effort to make, and it would certainly cost a lot more than, say, Umbrella Chronicles. And why should Capcom bother to put any real effort into their Wii titles when just as many people will buy a title like UC, which was comprised almost entirely of reused assets? Why do you think we're getting The Dark Side Chronicles instead of a full-blown remake of RE2?
                    I know huh?

Comment

Dug this up about Umbrella Chronicles.

Originally posted by Producer Masachika Kawata in an IGN Interview said
                      "At the initial stage of development, Umbrella Chronicles' play system was similar to Resident Evil 4's," producer Masachika Kawata told Famitsu in a video interview. "But, it's extremely difficult on Wii. Too complicated to enjoy. Wii users like easiness. Umbrella Chronicles is not only for game enthusiasts. Complex operability can be an obstacle for Wii users. We want players to enjoy the game's horrifying and creepy world and its thrilling shooting action. By reducing enthusiast-only elements, players can purely enjoy the world."

Interesting, is it not?

Imagine playing through each RE game with RE4 and 5's play style?
                      Last edited by Henry Spencer; 04-02-2009, 05:01 AM.

Comment

even if sf4 is not using mt, i can't imagine how much sf4 has to be water downed in order to be played on the wii.
                        Last edited by renvi; 04-03-2009, 04:35 AM.

Comment

Shit we all knew RE 5 wasn't on Wii because of the graphics. Nintendo should be happy that they got two exclusive games and 3 ports. Reggie sit down and shut up.

Comment

Originally posted by renvi View Post
                            even if sf4 is not using mt, i can't imagine how much sf4 has to be water downed in order to be played on the wii.
                            It doesn't have to be watered down at all, really. The only thing that would really take a hit would be the graphics.

Heck, I'd love to see them make a 2D version of SFIV for the Wii.

Comment

The only thing that would really take a hit would be the graphics.

but.. that's the biggest reason according to Kramer why it's on the 360 and PS3 to begin with ..

Comment

Working...
                              X