PDA

View Full Version : Silent Hill Movie

Shakahnna
04-21-2006, 08:04 PM
Absolutely beautiful, one of the best films I've seen in a long time. It has a story and amazing scenery and the characters are to die for. It's the first good video game movie since Mortal Kombat as far as I am concerned. Better than even nazi uniforms. :hitler:

Pedro
04-21-2006, 11:18 PM
Downloading...

Project Omega
04-22-2006, 12:31 AM
I concur. This movie was awesome! I'm probably going to go see it again sometime next week!!

Alzaire
04-22-2006, 02:09 AM
Honestly the best game series > movie ever created in my opinion. Music was good, story was good, all thumbs up from me. Would definately watch it again.

Nikovich
04-22-2006, 03:47 AM
I have a lot of hope for this after seeing the trailers, photos, and hearing the music (though I AM TEH RE4P3R!!!111ONE almost killed my hopes.) I plan to see it soon.

chrism3784
04-22-2006, 09:21 AM
I can't wait to see it, right now, we don't really have a movie theater here in Iraq, but when it comes to DVD I willbe sure to see it.

Ackart The Fox
04-23-2006, 04:48 AM
It rocked my face off.

ps. The part with Johnny Cash's Ring of Fire in the bowling alley was rather awesome. One of my favorite parts in the "Oh, cool!" category.

Dot50Cal
04-23-2006, 09:45 PM
Great movie, Best game adaption yet. I like how they really stuck to the general plot, even if they did change some things. The way it ends is great too :) SH2 for sure!

I was kinda dissapointed by the lack of..
pyramid head battle

James
04-23-2006, 10:24 PM
I'm concerned by Pyramid Head being played by Tanya Allen? WTH? A girl playing as Pyramid Head? O_o

Dot50Cal
04-23-2006, 10:33 PM
Did a good job XD Pyramid head kicked ass, I cant wait for the DVD so I can see the unedited part when he..Rips that bitches skin off! WTF PWNED!! :lol:

James
04-23-2006, 10:58 PM
I've yet to see the movie since it's not out here yet... >_>
But it does sound very interesting.

And the ripping part, if it's the part I think you are talking about, is in one of the trailers for like, 1 second. >_>

Nikovich
04-24-2006, 12:05 AM
Whoa, be careful with those spoilers. It's still a spoiler if you leave it to simple deductive reasoning! Recently, I've been hearing a lot of bad things, but from non-SH fans. I'm still going to see it.

A-J
04-24-2006, 02:49 AM
agh, should be out here on vcd's in a day or two. From what i've read over the internet its a pretty good movie. Thats a shocker considering the game to film movies from the past.

James
04-24-2006, 09:10 AM
I can't stand watching "filmed in the cinema" bootlegs. They're such shit quality! O_o

Grace Saunders
04-24-2006, 09:10 AM
The Saunders child isn't much of a cinema-goer, so "he" will wait until the movie comes out on DVD. I've heard a lot of positive things about it, so here's hoping it will be very good. :)

Project Omega
04-25-2006, 11:57 AM
This is the best review for it (plus how it can relate to the SH1 and maybe even 2) that I've read so far (since it includes spoilers, I'm gonna spoiler tag the text):

I want more Pyramid Head!

I was sad they only gave him three big scenes.

Ahh... my take on the ending was that it was the 'Bad' ending from the first game. The one where Harry's trip to find his daughter is all just in his head, a type of dream and then when it's over, he dies; from trauma to the head after the car accident in the beginning.

Rose did hit her head pretty hard in the beginning. She was bleeding and everything. In the end, when she got back into her car and began driving, we see Cybil's motorcycle. I was expecting to have Rose drive past her car and find herself dead at the wheel, but that didn't happen. Instead they went 'home.' What I feel was their 'home' was either a type of limbo or 'Heaven' and that her entire journey throughout Silent Hill was infact a trip through Hell. They escape from it in the end. I think the cop in the beginning was covering up the fact that she was really dead, that both Cybil and Rose were found dead, while Sharon was no where to be found. Sharon and Alessa are one again, no longer split apart... so she now controls the gateway to hell.

Makes some sense I guess. Cybil had died as well in her own reck, except the fires of hell tore at her flesh. Not to mention that everyone in that church was dead, Rose said it herself. No one made it out of the fire Alessa had created when they burned her. Alessa had created a type of hell on Earth to seek her revenge, although most had feld or already actually died. I believe the town of Silent Hill is trapped in a type of an alternate dimension, or Hell. When hell opened up it allowed both Cybil and Rose to enter... but I think it's only because, as said in the first came, Sharon or Alessa's other half had come back. Alessa was split into two entities, good and bad, while her pusing oozing body lay dormant and sleeping awaiting.

Alessa's bad half had taken the good half far away from Silent Hill and I feel it was to lure someone into the town to help her seek this revenge.

In the town I believe the souls of the sinners are forced to live and be afriad, to be torn apart by their fear. The nurses that took care of Alessa, which she must've viewed as evil and had a great amount of hatred towards them, were turned to look as evil as she believed they were. The kids and adults that had called her names, and most of the unlucky people who parished in that fire, became the man-eating bugs. The janitor had raped Alessa, or molested in someway, so she raped him back... in a sense of words not actions. I say this because of the barbed wire.

Pyramid Head really doesn't fit in a sense of the first game, because it was actually a manifest of the punishment for Jame's sin in SH2. But I think Alessa created him herself, as to punish the sinners of the town. She couldn't get them herself, so she sent out this monster executioner to punish all who took part in her burning.

Because, from what I believe, Alessa is the only one who can open the gateway/door to hell and allow anyone to enter the town of 'Silent Hill' that this is why Sean Bean's character only enters the town of today, and not the one of the past, of hell. Alessa only let Rose enter, because her other half had returned.

Wow... I like explain stuff... makes me think and realize things I missed... makes me feel smart too.

For a sequel. I do not want it to focus on Rose's character and her attempt to escape back the town or what she is currently trapped in. I wish to have it be based around the plot line of SH2. Now... I would love for it to feature a brand new cast, but that would leave ends untied for the first movie. Only one day had passed in the whole movie, so it's pretty obvious Chris Da Silva isn't finished looking for his wife and adoptive daughter. Unless he is finally told they were dead?

Lets say he gets a letter from Rose, and she is asking for help. She needs his help and is located in Silent Hill. So he goes, and the town opens for him. He is trapped in this confined town, searching for his late wife and missing daughter. Pyramid Head could be applified and brought into the picture more. Maybe even have a Maria/Mary thing going on where there is a woman who looks like his wife, but is much different. She is put there to have Chris watch his 'wife' die and die over and over again, to punish him. Have more plot and story unravel, more secrets about the first one be revealed; the truth to his wifes death?

Have him have to fight his wife at the end, turned into a monster like the other inhabitants of the town. Like Lisa, maybe she hadn't realized it... but she was dead. Through in some audience gasping tiwst. Like, perhaps, for instance, Chris had furiously drove after his wife and in an effort to stop her from bringing Sharon into town killed her by somehow running her off the road. It would have to have some clearance though, on when... which, if they do this, should have happened before he went to the gas station. He followed her to the gas station, and killed her, then drove off home. His mind had replaced the horror of what he had done with him being at home, calling her from the house instead of behind her.

Something like that. Have it end with the SH2's 'In Water' ending... and it would be set.

yeah... I like it.

^_^

James
04-25-2006, 12:35 PM
That would be awesome - never considered they could try to do the second one in similiar vein to Silent Hill 2.

Pedro
04-25-2006, 04:15 PM
Man... the critics totally smashed Silent Hill... :(

TMP_Ada
06-11-2006, 07:15 PM
to Project Omega

.... thats deep, you've given this alotta thought, and for the sequal that sounds awsome

Grace Saunders
09-13-2006, 04:10 PM
I saw the movie last week. I am glad it stayed true to the games. Unlike the Resident Evil movies.

Claire Redfield
09-14-2006, 12:47 AM
I agree with Dot. The movie was okay.

Darkmoon
09-20-2006, 07:34 AM
Well, pretty much anything is better than Apocolypse...I wept tears of blood at that movie, just because it made my brain bleed by its pure stupidity.

I liked this movie, a lot. But there were some points that were just a case of...why? Why have you done this thing? What are you smoking? Case in point: Cheryl's name change. Why? I mean, with the story they wrote, a male lead would never work...wait, spoilerrific stuff I guess.

Alright. Well, if the dad ran off with the kid like that he'd be considered a sexual predetor. If a woman does it she's saving her kid. Odd, yet probably true. But still...I'd question the nessecity of doing some of that. It was mostly to go with 'Mining Town on Fire' story, which never went anywhere. So Harry and Cheryl going there on Holiday because Cheryl chooses it, the wife being delayed, search insues etc would have worked equally well and been more faithful.

Plus, I got the oddest feeling that someone really wanted the main character to be called Heather...she even ends up looking more like her as the movie progresses.

Right. Next...I loved the monsters. But why were half of them there? Nurses...alright, even if they are the SH2 version. The Grey Kiddie Demons? Awesomely done. Pyramid Head though? Why? Let's face it...he barely had a reason to be there. He wasn't even slightly explain or important. It was a case of, 'He looks cool, let's put him in.'

Next, cutting out Samael and replacing him/her/it with 1800 circa witchburners. Now, I get this one...lunatic Christians would have started savaging it. Yet this seems even more likely to get them attacked. They did, vaguely, hint that the Evil Alessa wasn't just Alessa's pain, but something more sinister helping her.

Still, by doing this they've made it damnably difficult to pull off a sequal. Omega's most worthy ideas, which is probably there only real

Also: no dick in Silent Hill? All the important characters (bar the somewhat cissy dad with his brat attack credit card trick and the cop, who can only be placed in the 'minor' area despite being louder than a background noise) are female. Kaufmann? Gone. Harry? Gone.

And then there was making Dahlia the good person...she could so easily have been the Cult leader again. Instead she was just misguided mommy who wants to help.

Finally...too many people. I know, it's nessecery for some character to be there, for storylines sake. You can't make a movie with no character interaction. But did we really need a whole churchful? Half the terror of Silent Hill is that you're constantly alone, yet for half of the movie...she's not.

Despite that long, rambling rant, I did enjoy it. Those are just points I felt were...well, pointless changes or silly errors that took away from the incredible atmosphere.

Claire Redfield
09-20-2006, 07:35 PM
Darkmoon, the original script to Silent Hill only had FEMALE characters. The creators of Silent Hill told the screenwriter to add men or they wouldn't allow the movie to be made.

Hunk_4TH
09-20-2006, 10:01 PM
I'm still going to buy it,I thought it was much better than the BioHazard movies Imo...I didn't like the fact Pyramid head wasn't shown alot more He is byfar My favorite In Silent Hill XD

Darkmoon
09-21-2006, 07:19 AM
Oh, compare to the RE movies this is a Classic. They just screwed a number of things up, often for no good reason.

Claire, I can honestly believe that. I really can. I got hold of the DVD via the magic of renting, and I got the disctint impression that while the director was trying to keep as much as humanly possible, the writter wanted to do another Apocolypse...that is, 'Look, this is everything you know and love about this game. Now, see this movie only character? SHE JUST KILLED IT ALL BECAUSE SHE'S SUPER BADASSSSS!!!'

Between them they made a good movie, but one that just didn't manage to live up to it's potential. There were too many pointless, pointless changes and too many changes that had, at best, a stupid reason. I mean...if you have to put a monster like Pyramid Head in the movie, it should take centre-point. Not appear a couple of times and vanish without a trace before the movie's half done.

Hunk_4TH
09-21-2006, 01:13 PM
Exactly, I was hoping He'd have more parts in the movie. Atleast He was shown alot more in Silent Hill 2, being My favorite SH title. it was alot scarier and freakier than the movie:waga waga still kicks both Bio Hazard movies in the balls :lol:

Grace Saunders
09-24-2006, 04:35 PM
It's one of only a few movies that remains true to the original source material.

Rancid Cheese
09-24-2006, 07:59 PM
This came and went from the cinema unwatched by myself as I was more than a little aprehensive esp. given the Resident Evil transfer to cinema and the history of game-movie in general. However upon it's release on DVD I bought it on a curious whim (that and the sexy blood red metal case it came in) and now I've come to regret not going to the cinema to see it. This is by far the most superior transition I've ever seen, true Pyramid Head made a minimal showing but he completely stole the scenes he was in. The ending was brilliant left me with suitable grounds to ponder over the meaning instead of just being served the conclusion on a plate. And the use of the various tracks from the entire Silent Hill series was while argueably a cheap way out, appropriate and helped reinforce the faithfulness to the series (It was by Jeff Danna who did the score to RE:Apocalypse which I also enjoyed, the score not the film ;) ) alas the OST is nowhere to be found which is a shame since it has some nice alternate versions of certain tracks . . .

Carnivol
09-24-2006, 11:06 PM
Just adding that I recommend people who liked this (or for some reason disliked it and thought it didn't feel like Silent Hill), you should check out a movie called "The Dark" (features quite a lot of similiarities, even down to the point of Sean Bean playing the main male lead)

chrism3784
09-29-2006, 05:54 AM
I finally have just seen this movie. Back from Iraq now, it was the first thing I bought when I went to the PX here.

The movie, I definitely did like, they did take a lot of scenes from the games and inputed them, like when they jumped across the building through the windows. I liked the fact they explained a lot of the things like what caused the darkness. The enemies were pretty cool, but I wish they would have put the scary dogs from SH1.

Rancid Cheese
10-01-2006, 04:19 PM
Yeah the Dogs would've been nice, overall it was the story of SH1 in the realm of SH2

Cyber_Shinobi
10-09-2006, 04:44 PM
I really enjoyed the film, the only thing that annoyed me is that they didn't stick to the true Silent Hill storyline, they pretty much changed it completely. :(

The cult was all wrong(what happened to Samael?), Dahlia was all wrong(Dahlia a good guy?), how it all came about was also changed.

By far the best videogame movie so far though.

Darkmoon
10-09-2006, 06:58 PM
It is. And that sorta says it all, really. It's a good movie, but that it easily takes the title of the best video game to movie award is sorta disturbing, considering how much better it could have been.

As for while Sammael got cut...well, I honestly haven't managed to work that out yet. Theories have ranged, in debate with my friends, from "They didnt want people saying it was a movie about Devil Worship" to "Sammael would have been too much for the plot to cope with" to "They didn;t want to offend Christians."

Yet none of those really make much sense. So...I stick with my theory. "The writter wanted his artistic vision to range free, ass raping plotlines wherever it could, and this was one of the arguments he won along with 'No Penises in Silent Hill!' and 'While we could so easily make Dhalia the leader of this bunch of Christian nutjobs stuck in 1666, let's make her good!'"

Oh, Carnivol...good call on the Dark. It really needs to be called 'Silent Hill, with fucking sheep and sheep fucking' but it's a good movie. Very, very Silent Hill...only, set in Wales.

Which is just wrong.