Nyko 360 Intercooler Fans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nyko 360 Intercooler Fans

Has anyone else got one of these or used one before? I'm finding extremely mixed reviews on them. I bought one at the weekend and it seemed to be working fine, but I've seen a lot of reviews where people have said it's broken their 360. Not just that, but Microsoft have said if you use one, your warranty is invalid. On the other hand, some people use them and say it's worked wonders and kept their console really cool.

if you're under the 3 year warranty there's absolutely no reason for you to use this. i haven't used it myself but a couple of friends who have used it tell me that it only delays the inevitable slightly. it's not a miracle device.
    Last edited by A-J; 04-20-2009, 08:35 AM.

Comment

I'm paranoid so I just yanked the thing off anyway. Some people said it covers up the 360's ventilation system which is already there. At least that's patented.
      Last edited by Alexia_Ashford; 04-20-2009, 08:36 AM.

Comment

Microsoft has found that the Nyko Intercooler 360 for the Xbox 360 draws the necessary power from the console to power the whole unit. This may lead to hardware failure, or the unit may burn. Users across various forums have reported that the Intercooler damaged their consoles beyond repair. Microsoft recommends against using unlicensed accessories such as the Intercooler. Nyko has since produced a new form of Intercooler which can be exchanged for free via customer service. The company has also provided new consoles to all the users who reported damage to their console.

Call me stupid but I've nearly got the idea of these add-on's the whole point of having the grill openings at the back of consoles is so it can extract the warm air away from the console with these addons your effectively pushing all that air back in
        The only way to keep your console cool is to void your warranty and redo all the heatsinks and fit better fans on the cpu and gpu like you would when your overclocking a pc we all know how stingy ATI are with thermal paste.
        Last edited by kevstah2004; 04-20-2009, 09:19 AM.
        If he had a brain, he'd be dangerous.

sigpic

Comment

My one upon closer inspection is called "Nyko Intercooler EX". Does it make any difference? I'm a bit tentative now about this thing draining power from my 360.

Comment

I personally would not use them, as I have seen that even though the fans do their job the consoles still overheat, the fans draining the power can also cause the hardware failure.

In addition to that, the fans can actually melt themselves onto the console (mind you, this was after being on the console for a while and the console itself was used extremely often) - personally I have seen this effect and upon removal of the fan, the ports used to the connect the device were also damaged and with this damage and the factor of using the third-party accessory and/or device voided warranty the owner was unable to have it replaced by Microsoft and instead had to either buy a brand new one OR pay for the repairs. Overall, if it's doing it's job and you keep the console clean and check it often then you should be fine with using it... but it really is up for you to decide.
            Last edited by Enetirnel; 04-20-2009, 09:25 AM.
            sigpic
            Non-blurry Signature Version
            Youtube | Steam | Website (Under Construction)

Comment

Originally posted by Alexia_Ashford View Post
              My one upon closer inspection is called "Nyko Intercooler EX". Does it make any difference? I'm a bit tentative now about this thing draining power from my 360.
              if i recall there are newer models which have an external power supply, if yours is the kind that drains the 360's own power supply then it's a definite no no.

Comment

Yeah, you plug the power cord into the back of the fan and it powers it while going into the 360, so it's using the 360's power supply. It's not worth the risk.

Comment

All these cooling products for the 360 are useless, redundant and pointless.

Spoiler:

But seriously, waste of money. >_>

Comment

I have used one before but it made my 360 overheat. Damn thing was a waste of money and time.

Comment

a waste. i'll never buy one.

for one thing, the 360 heats up mostly on the bottom (where the fan doesn't hit) - this is where the RROD comes from with everything else where the fan is hitting is kept cool.

if you get RROD and you don't have a warranty, don't buy a new warranty. if you have no problem taking apart the 360 and voiding the sticker, you can easily overcome the 360's RROD with thermal compound.
                      Facebook | Myspace | PlayStation | Raptr | Steam | Twitter | Xbox Live | Xfire | Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by Branden_Lucero View Post

if you get RROD and you don't have a warranty, don't buy a new warranty. if you have no problem taking apart the 360 and voiding the sticker, you can easily overcome the 360's RROD with thermal compound.
                        Please elaborate.

Comment

Originally posted by Corrin View Post
                          Please elaborate.
                          when you open it up, that's your motherboard (they'll probably be different depending on your model). that's the bottom of it. that's where the fan doesn't hit. the heatsinks are placed underneath everything else (though if you flip it on the otherside, you can see them as well), so everything else on top stays cool while everything else on bottom warms up.

those 4 placements (where the white and pink patches are) is where the problem lies. apply the substance and you are pretty much covered.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Branden_Lucero; 04-20-2009, 07:44 PM.
                          Facebook | Myspace | PlayStation | Raptr | Steam | Twitter | Xbox Live | Xfire | Youtube

Comment

You could just use a small fan and place it behind your X-Box so it gets a cooler air flow than what otherwise would be stagnant hot air I had a mini desk fan I never used anymore and just stuck it behind my entertainment system to better circulate the air...

Comment

Working...
                            X