Lost Planet: e3 2006 Initial Impressions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost Planet: e3 2006 Initial Impressions

By now, I'm sure most of you have heard that Capcom was kind enough to release a Xbox 360 demo of Lost Planet via the Xbox Live Marketplace. The game, while not directly RE, does have several staff members working on Resident Evil 5 at the same time.

Upon booting up the demo, you are given to different stages. As of right now, I've only beaten the first, so that's what I'll discuss for a little while.

Even though the game isnt do out for many, many months, the graphics are quite impressive. The snow blows in the wind, really creating a sense of isolation. The models are extremely well done, with plenty of texture maps to make the characters, and bugs, stick out. The interface is smooth, and shows you everything that needs to be. It shows the current temperature, which effects how fast your energy goes down. In the demo, the Energy level is capped at 0999, but theres obviously more room to gain more. Energy keeps you alive in the cold enviroment, while also serving to restore your health as you get damaged, and also to power the mechs in the game (though they have a seperate energy level). Energy can be picked up by killing enemies and the nests that they get "born" from.

Killing the bug-things is, of course, the fun part. You start with a basic machine gun, which is great at taking out just about anything. A rifle can be picked up to help zoom in on far-away targets, along with a shotgun for those nasty flying enemies. Then, theres always the rocket launcher to blast large groups, or the occasional big bug (Dont want to ruin it by telling too much). The mechs ARE driveable in the demo, with one being at a mid-boss type area in the warehouse, along with one being in the final boss area. You can take the Gattling Gun off the Mech, along with being able to pick one up and put it on the second arm.

Overall, I'm having a blast playing the demo, though the second stage still is a bit rough for me. Glitches of course occur in this early demo, especially with certain animations (such as the grappling hook, which isnt used too much in the 1st level). It is really a run and gun game, but it should be interesting to see how Capcom uses its storytelling techniques in the game, and, how Lost Planet will effect how (great) Resident Evil 5 turns out.
    Last edited by Borman; 05-12-2006, 08:58 PM.

I got a 360 today, lol. This was the first thing I played. Really good premise but its ruined by the fucking cold meter. Capcom needs to ditch these arbitrary time limits. Outbreak was ruined by it and now they are doing it to Lost Planet. GGAAHH!11111

Comment

Ive never once been killed by the cold meter while playing so.

Comment

Well some of us like to be thorough and also enjoy the view!!! But I didnt know those pod things give you time, lol. Do you have to walk over the carcass/blobform to pick them up or??
        Last edited by Dot50Cal; 05-12-2006, 10:41 PM.

Comment

Some screens I made. This isnt the next gen I was expecting. This is like current gen's PC graphics + more normal maps

Video:

Last edited by Dot50Cal; 05-13-2006, 08:35 AM.

Comment

Eh, I already commented about those on a different forum ... ;)

But yea, that doesnt look high def to me, which really downscales the graphics, at least in my eyes. Also, the game has at least 6 months before its "due" out, plus the mandatory Capcom restart ;)

Comment

I got killed by my T-ENG draning, since I wasn't aware that the Energy Gun, which had unlimited ammo, actually drained your T-ENG.

>_> Fun game though. Absolutely love it.

Comment

Originally posted by Nemesis556
                I got killed by my T-ENG draning, since I wasn't aware that the Energy Gun, which had unlimited ammo, actually drained your T-ENG.

>_> Fun game though. Absolutely love it.
                LOL So thats what happened...I was in the bottom area wtf pwning the snake thingys...Damnit lol.

Comment

Yes so it seems. Goddamn it and I can't be bothered playing through the rest of that map.

Damn Capcom and their large demos!

Comment

I was playing the demo and the gameplay felt good IMO, the way the aiming was handled was good compared to some of the other 1 or 3 person shoters. Kinda reminded me of Goldeneye on the N64 But atm my tv just suck so I can't say much about the grafics(bright areas turn completly white, while dark areas is completly black)

Comment

Hmm. That's how my old TV that we had the cube hooked up to looked like. You couldn't play smash brothers because anything that was bright made the screen blinding.

Comment

I'm tired of seeing these shooting games, I can't wait for Wii.
                        It's going to be so awesome... =)
                        New games, New gameplay, New Everything! XD

Comment

Working...
                        X