Life on Mars / Ashes to Ashes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Life on Mars / Ashes to Ashes

Any followers of this superb series on here? I am of course referring to the original UK version, featuring John Simm. If you're unfamilar with it, here's a brief rundown of just what it's about.

Life on Mars originally aired back in 2006 and starred John Simm as DCI Sam Tyler, a police detective in the Greater Manchester Police working on a murder case in 2006. After parking his car up beside the road to take a break, he steps out and is suddenly hit by a car at high speed. As he drifts in and out of consciousness, he hears his own arrival at the hospital before waking up in what he believes is Manchester in 1973. Unaware of whether he's insane, in a coma or gone back in time, Sam pretty much has to find a way back home. It's a fantastic series, I really can't go into any further detail since it's something you really must discover on your own.

But what I can show is Sam's arrival in 1973 from 2006, it's a great scene and one of the best moments in television.

This is a clip of Life On Mars when Sam goes to 1973 after he had been hit by a car in 2006.I do not own Life On Mars.No copyright infringement intended.

And then there's the spin-off sequel series, Ashes to Ashes. Which unlike Life on Mars, is set in London during the 1980s. AtA is about DI Alex Drake (played by the rather lovely Keeley Hawes) who evaluated Sam Tyler's case back in 2006/07, learning about what happened to him in "1973". She's shot by a crazed gunman in 2008 and wakes up in 1981, which she believes is the same world that Sam ended up in after his road accident in 2006. The first series of AtA is set in 1981, though the second series which is currently airing on BBC One, takes place six months or so after the first series, in 1982. Like Sam, Alex realises that she is dying in the real world and that she needs to find a way "home", back to 2008.

So yeah, for those who have never seen these shows then I implore you to seek them out and watch them, the box sets are available for very cheap right now and if you live in the UK, you can catch the second series every Monday night on BBC One. This is also a discussion topic, though please use spoiler tags when theorising or debating something about the series. Thanks.
    Last edited by Mr. Spencer; 05-20-2009, 06:56 AM.
    See you in hell.

A great tv series, even Ashes to ashes continues the show well. I reckon Sam Tyler could return in the final 2 parts, or appear in some form for the final.

Comment

They are, to be honest, two of the greatest British TV shows ever. Definitely my personal favorites on level with my American equivalents of The Wire and Deadwood.
      PROJECT Umbrella - The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium

Comment

Any comparison to The Wire is a heady one. You've definitely piqued my interest in this series, i'll have to give it a look.

Comment

I've only seen the first series of Life On Mars, which I managed to plough through in a day, and I'm looking for ways to see the second series of it and the first or Ashes To Ashes. I really wish the BBC iPlayer stored hit shows.

Comment

Why do these people name their shows after David Bowie songs?

Comment

Because the songs are playing/being sung when the events that put them into the past play out. 'Life On Mars' is playing when Sam gets ran over and I think the guy who shoots Alex is singing 'Ashes To Ashes', I'm not sure.

ETA: I'm sure there's other reasons as well, but those are the ones I know of.
              Last edited by BadWolfX; 05-20-2009, 02:21 PM.

Comment

Christ, Weskers Flag. You really are an absolute beginner at this, aren't you?
                See you in hell.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Spencer View Post
                  Christ, Weskers Flag. You really are an absolute beginner at this, aren't you?
                  Yes.

Comment

They are named after David Bowie songs to reflect the time period they are set in, coinciding with when the songs were released. Life On Mars was released in the 70s, Ashes to Ashes in the 80s.
                    PROJECT Umbrella - The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium

Comment

The American version of Life on Mars airs on ABC, I believe...Harvey Keitel is in it. I've only seen ads for it.

Comment

Yeah, from what I've heard, the American version is trash.

And don't get me started on the ending.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisRedfield29 View Post
                          The American version of Life on Mars airs on ABC, I believe...Harvey Keitel is in it. I've only seen ads for it.
                          And it is bollocks.
                          See you in hell.

Comment

Took me a while, but I found the Life on Mars bluray disks here. Granted, they are just upscaled anyway, but Id rather have the BR Cost quite a bit more as well, but its well worth it.

Comment

Episode 6 is on our screens tonight in half an hour! What will happen to the Gene Genie? Will Alex bear witness to her inevitable demise? Will Ray finally come out?
                              See you in hell.

Comment

Working...
                              X