Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shattered Memories Walkthrough

http://wii.ign.com/dor/objects/14325...k1_060109.html
    Looks good. It's very different, but still looks loads better than the last few games.

Yeah, I can't help but splooge all over the place (there have been many users doing this in the past two days over other games anyway) watching that footage, and I WANT MORE (and a freakin' Wii). What's great about this preview is that (almost) nothing important is revealed, just the fresh mechanics, and the fact that the game has the same beginning. No Gillespies, no cult, no drugs, and of course we don't even know which if any of these plot points will return. Things I love:

-The fine details. Like the original Silent Hill, there are posters, ads, graffiti, pictures, etc that have apparently been worked on and paid attention to. I hope to see more film/TV/whatever references. Needless to say I'll rack up a shit load more playing time because I'll be doing a lot more exploring than this guy (there was an arbitrary doll towards the beginning he missed, among other things)
    -What the game takes from the original are only the small tidbits fans would appreciate (street names, etc)
    -From the different previews, I can see the subtle and overt changes that the (shockingly quick) psych profie brings about. For example, when Harry shakes the can of ("Hedgehog?") beer. I suppose if you don't prefer a drink, it will be soda (which is what most previews have shown). Of course the more explicit example is the hard ass Cybil reminiscent of the film portrayal.
    -Harry's in-game reactions to certain things, such as the missing pet poster ("poor kid").
    -The use of sound and music. The slow piano music that cycles throughout the "normal world" portion actually makes my patience wear thin, but that's in a good way. It reminds me of John Carpenter's score from Halloween during the daytime scenes, specifically because it's like a steady, time-keeping rhythm. Pure suspense; almost makes me bite my nails for something I KNOW is going to happen to jump out. When the "Otherworld" intervenes, the silence is confining, and I just want that car alarm to stop. When the monsters show themselves, we get the same pounding, sensory-overload stuff. I hope they have a steady dose of trip-hop, electric guitar music, and moody acoustic stuff. It seems like they're keeping this aspect close to the chest. I mean, I got chills watching this footage.
    -The screwed up, ghostly malfunctions. This includes the static, the cassette tape with the slurred, ambiguous contents, the TV that blinks on, the voicemail messages (it actually says the message is from "the girl on the swing" ).
    -The voice acting. It retains the same warm, straight-on approach that the other games had. I wish I could be more specific/clear in describing this

Things I'm not sure about (because, being the fanboy I'm turning into, saying hate would be too harsh now wouldn't it?):
    -While I said before that I was intrigued by the AI, watching the video I'm a little worried that enemies grabbing you would be annoying as fuck. Considering I get a little panicky when shit hits the fan in these games, I'm more than a bit weary
    -Harry LIVES in Silent Hill? I can think of a few explanations pertaining to the story/dynamic game mechanics, but this just weirds me out.
    -The motion control may not be the best thing for me, because my god damned anxiety-ridden hands shake for no reason, and this is a horror game. Fuck.
    -The puzzle solving I'm on the fence about. While it looks like there are tons of possibilities and it doesn't just involve RE-style "put plate in indentation, NO NOT THAT INDENTATION" I still can't help but wonder how anyone would check a soda can for a key.

Comment

Looked alright till the whole running away part. The game suffers from the same jerky and slighty uncontrollable controls nearly every Wii games does, having to run away and try to control whats going on fast never really works that well, so that's gonna get annoying. They've mixed it up quite a bit from the start though which is nice to see, although i don't really like Cybil being a complete bitch cause you know how thats gonna go (heart of stone turns to heart of gold, wow predictable). It looks like it's gonna be fairly hit and miss, but still better than i was expecting.

Comment

I'm not so sure about that one, Rewak. From the way things change it looks like it'll be entirely possible to have a looney bin bitch Cybil for the whole game. I just hope the choices thing continues to alter things through the game, and there are more choices as the game progresses and there not all in the intro sequence.

Comment

Wow, looks realy interesting, graphics aren't what they said they would be, but they're still nice. And I can't wait to play it... on my PS2

Comment

-Harry LIVES in Silent Hill? I can think of a few explanations pertaining to the story/dynamic game mechanics, but this just weirds me out.
            <fakespoilers>The main character has been selected into the HMS(Harry Mason Simulation) program funded by Colonel James Sunderland, to create the perfect hero for a psychological horror drama. Cybil is also pregnant with his baby.

Wow, looks realy interesting, graphics aren't what they said they would be, but they're still nice. And I can't wait to play it... on my PS2
            True, it does look rough around the edges, but everything, the darkness, the snow, the detail, just looks so damn genuine!

I'll be pissed if the PS2 version turns out to be shit. Then I'll buy a Wii and get this and Metroid. But I don't want another system =(

Comment

Ooh this looks really cool. I was going to get the PS2 version but i think Ill be getting it on the Wii now.

I really loved the scene were Harry is looking for Cheryl, i love how they prolonged it, and i love the new gameplay additions that have been added like Jumping over the fence. I can't wait for this, this could possibly be one of the coolest games ever.

I really loved the new way of blocking off the streets as well with the huge wall of snow, I think I'm gonna love this game.

Comment

Working...
              X