Holographic Disks (HVD)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holographic Disks (HVD)

I've never heard about this technology till now. Apperently, it can hold up to 500Mb and with a 300Mb transfer rate. Thats just the beginning. It is also told that it has the capacity to hold 6TB (terabytes) of data. Pretty impressive technology, but if only a company starts to make them, but only because its so damn expensive to make these types of disks. My money is on Sony to introduce this product to the public. Microsoft is probably going to stick with the 2Tb SD cards...

Wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holographic_Versatile_Disc
    Last edited by hellrizer; 06-10-2009, 09:03 PM.

They've come up with a cheaper solution in Australia ;-)

Technology News, Tech News, Technology Trends, Technology Jobs, Tech Jobs, Digital News, Digital Jobs, IT News, IT Jobs, Telecommunications News, Telecoms News, Telecommunications Jobs, Australia, Telecoms Jobs,TeliOS,Telco, NBN, Netflix,Foxtel, Presto, Cloud, Networking, Open Source, Security, Business Technology, Enterprise Solutions, Print Solutons, Hardware and Storage, Business Software, Big Data, Data Centres, Data Centers, BYOD, BYOA, Outsourcing, Accounting Software, BI, Business Intelligence, Telecoms, Development, Applications Development, Apps, Apple, Apple Watch, IBM, CA, HP, Microsoft, Cisco, EMC, Fujitsu, Symantec, Kaspersky, Security, McAfee, PS4, Tablets, iPhone, iPhone 6, IoT, Internet of Things, iPad, Samsung, HTC, Web Hosting, Government, Regulation, ACMA, ACCC, ASIC, TIO, Telsoc, ACS, Linux, CIO, CTO, CSO, MYOB, Xero, Intuit, Reckon, TechnologyOne, SAP, Turnbull, NBN, Gartner, Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, Google, Wi-Fi, Wireless, Fibre, FttN, Samsung Galaxy S6, FttH, FttP, Stan Beer, Firefox, Andrew Matler, Peter Dinham, Graeme Philipson, David Swan, Telstra, Google Nexus, Compuware, NextDC, Rackspace, Palo Alto, MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, PS3, Macintosh, PC, Android, VMware, Virtualisation, Citrix, Optus, iiNet, Juniper, Dell, Intel, NetApp, Netsuite, Salesforce, Wipro, Cognizant, Infosys, Tata, Satyam, Serco, Schneider, APC, Chrome, Chromecast, Emerson, Cap Gemini, Accenture, Deloitte, Bearing Point, Stephen Withers, Sam Varghese, Alex Zaharov-Reutt, Ray Shaw, Netcomm, PwC, IoT, Internet of Things, SVOD

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

Last edited by kevstah2004; 06-10-2009, 09:43 PM.
    If he had a brain, he'd be dangerous.

sigpic

Comment

Yeah, its pretty interesting how they put the data in the disk...

Comment

They need to start working on a holodeck.
        See you in hell.

Comment

Wow, 6TB? That's pretty awesome. With a read rate of 20MB/s, you could almost use a single disc as a hard drive.

Comment

I heard about this a week or two ago, it's amazing isn't it.

Originally posted by kevstah2004 View Post
            They've come up with a cheaper solution in Australia ;-)

Technology News, Tech News, Technology Trends, Technology Jobs, Tech Jobs, Digital News, Digital Jobs, IT News, IT Jobs, Telecommunications News, Telecoms News, Telecommunications Jobs, Australia, Telecoms Jobs,TeliOS,Telco, NBN, Netflix,Foxtel, Presto, Cloud, Networking, Open Source, Security, Business Technology, Enterprise Solutions, Print Solutons, Hardware and Storage, Business Software, Big Data, Data Centres, Data Centers, BYOD, BYOA, Outsourcing, Accounting Software, BI, Business Intelligence, Telecoms, Development, Applications Development, Apps, Apple, Apple Watch, IBM, CA, HP, Microsoft, Cisco, EMC, Fujitsu, Symantec, Kaspersky, Security, McAfee, PS4, Tablets, iPhone, iPhone 6, IoT, Internet of Things, iPad, Samsung, HTC, Web Hosting, Government, Regulation, ACMA, ACCC, ASIC, TIO, Telsoc, ACS, Linux, CIO, CTO, CSO, MYOB, Xero, Intuit, Reckon, TechnologyOne, SAP, Turnbull, NBN, Gartner, Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, Google, Wi-Fi, Wireless, Fibre, FttN, Samsung Galaxy S6, FttH, FttP, Stan Beer, Firefox, Andrew Matler, Peter Dinham, Graeme Philipson, David Swan, Telstra, Google Nexus, Compuware, NextDC, Rackspace, Palo Alto, MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, PS3, Macintosh, PC, Android, VMware, Virtualisation, Citrix, Optus, iiNet, Juniper, Dell, Intel, NetApp, Netsuite, Salesforce, Wipro, Cognizant, Infosys, Tata, Satyam, Serco, Schneider, APC, Chrome, Chromecast, Emerson, Cap Gemini, Accenture, Deloitte, Bearing Point, Stephen Withers, Sam Varghese, Alex Zaharov-Reutt, Ray Shaw, Netcomm, PwC, IoT, Internet of Things, SVOD

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5D_DVD
            10 Terabytes in insane!

Comment

This will be the future of gaming and Ultra High Definition videos. The future is coming, but its not coming fast enough!!

Comment

Ultra High-Def? Don't think so. I'll probably be interactive 3D movies where you project it in your living room and walk around the scene, viewing the movie from whatever angle you want.

Comment

Originally posted by Helegad View Post
                  Ultra High-Def? Don't think so. I'll probably be interactive 3D movies where you project it in your living room and walk around the scene, viewing the movie from whatever angle you want.
                  That might sound cool, but it isn't. Maybe it could be for a certain genre, but i would not like that to replace the current style of movies. You know with directors and camera positions and all.

Comment

Holographic 3D? Thats too advanced and won't probably be seen for awhile. There only have been a few demos of holographic 3D. Here....

Right now, people are focusing on high definition videos and gaming. I don't see holographic 3D coming anytime soon. Maybe somewhere around 2019 or later, but on the bright side, 3D technology is really advanced now that we have TVs that produce theater quality 3D.

Comment

Unless you're going to be zooming in on some actor's pores or something, I don't think "Ultra High-Def" is going to make that much of a difference.
                      Seibu teh geimu?
                      ---

Comment

Originally posted by hellrizer View Post
                        This will be the future of gaming and Ultra High Definition videos. The future is coming, but its not coming fast enough!!
                        The have to milk the current format for as long as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by biohazard_star View Post
                          Unless you're going to be zooming in on some actor's pores or something, I don't think "Ultra High-Def" is going to make that much of a difference.
                          It won't make that much of a difference with movies and all that, but it will make a difference in high definition gaming. Its going to be awesome

Comment

Originally posted by hellrizer View Post
                            Holographic 3D? Thats too advanced and won't probably be seen for awhile. There only have been a few demos of holographic 3D. Here....

Right now, people are focusing on high definition videos and gaming. I don't see holographic 3D coming anytime soon. Maybe somewhere around 2019 or later, but on the bright side, 3D technology is really advanced now that we have TVs that produce theater quality 3D.
                            You know there's nothing really revolutionary about that all it is a rapidly moving sheet of glass which your eyes can't keep up with so it looks like a true image as far as I know there's nothing that projects an image in oxygen.
                            Last edited by kevstah2004; 06-11-2009, 07:29 PM.
                            If he had a brain, he'd be dangerous.

sigpic

Comment

Yeah, I know, but they are not going to release it to the public anytime soon. Also, I heard that you can create a holographic image by using air or something else like that. I don't think its true, but maybe you heard of something like that?

Comment

Working...
                              X