Modder forum?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modder forum?

Anyone else here think it might be a good idea to get a mod forum going? Just something to show off your skins, or just general modifications you've found. Please vote in the poll!
    YES!
    71.05%
    NO!
    23.68%
    What is this I don't even
    5.26%

I voted yes, despite my limited knowledge of/lack of experience with modding. I figure it would be an easy way to learn more about this stuff.

Comment

I'm a no. I'm sure it'd end up as something that every flooded to use just for the sake of it at first only for it to stop over time and only be used once in a while.

Comment

I agree with Stu, a no from me too. I think a thread would be sufficient and if there's an entire sub-forum for it, it'll have a lot of posts for a couple of weeks then eventually it'll die out till it's hardly posted in at all.

I don't think there's enough modders here (very few, if any) to justify a sub forum. I think it'd mainly be discussion and the odd actual mod topic, and we can discuss that sorta stuff in Umbrella Labs anyway.
        Last edited by Alexia_Ashford; 06-13-2009, 03:43 PM.

Comment

The problem with a single thread is you won't be able to find anything in any decent amount of time. I looked briefly and couldn't find the thread on Bioflames atm, but the modders had a thread on there that was quite a number of pages long and it was a chore going through it to see what was on there. Especially when you have people posting pics of the custom skins and such and you have to sit there waiting for all the pics to load in the page of posts you're on before even bothering trying to scroll down. This is assuming, obviously, that enough stuff would get posted.

I admit it would probably not be used a whole ton though, especially because there isn't a whole lot available in the ways of modding the RE games until more people learn how to utilize skills that currently only Dominion knows. Until then, the most modified people can get are new skins and maybe moving item locations, possibly a few other things.

Not to mention just about no mod or fan-project ever seems to get finished.

But anyway, I voted yes on it originally. I think it would depend on how well it hits off. I think it would be ok if it gets a lot of hits at first then dies off as long as we can get a few organized posts and topics that would be kept up for future use. Otherwise you'd have to gather everything in one post and sticky it, lest it get lost in the sea of topics and benefits no modders in the long run. It's not like if it doesn't do well, we can't just move the information over and delete the subforum. And there have been a few requests for such a sub-forum several times, so why not.
          sigpic

Comment

Gets a yes in my book.

Although there'll probably be some legal crusaders and private dicks complaining about it (You know who you are... oh, wait... you're not seeing this... 'cause I banned you... Sorry!)

Though, there's on important thing I think should be done if such a forum was to be made;
            -Make sure we have a set of stickies with the ABC on how to do stuff in some of the games. 'Cause chances are that (without them) the majority of the posts will just be; "How does I heck RE2 textures in PCs? (RE45s too!)"

Anyway, it's a filthy legal gray area... but I think it could be interesting if at least the basics on "How to" are covered in stickies.

Comment

I voted yes. At least this idea should be given a try. If it turns out to fail, you can always move those topics somewhere else and delete the forum.

There's few members here who mods classic RE games and RE4 is overall quite easy to mod, even by noobies (textures and sounds). Also, RE5 PC will soon be released and, let's hope, it will be moddable too (although at the moment, from what I saw, people only managed to change textures in DMC4 and only with the use of texmod).

Comment

I just don't think there's a big enough modding community in the RE community to justify a sub-forum. I guess we could make a general forum about modding for all games and see how it kicks off, but like a couple of people have already said here, it's a legal grey area. I suppose we could always try it though just to see how it goes.

Comment

I just don't think there's a big enough modding community in the RE community to justify a sub-forum.
                  There's plenty of modders lurking around, though the problem is, as everyone said, the legal crap (which prevents mods from being released, etc). I really don't see the problem in releasing a modification to [what should be considered] 10 year-old abandon-ware, though like most, I like to avoid legal crap/piracy.

I didn't bother to vote, because honestly, I don't see a modding sub-forum 'taking off' around here. It would really be nice, though, because there's a lot of good stuff that could come from it, but sadly, just as much negative attention, as well.
                  I'm a blackstar.

Comment

I said yes for the simple fact that if there are some people actually willing to use it, then it would be interesting to see. Or perhaps an area for fan works in general. That way fan art, fiction/this-is-how-I'd-make-the-game topics can be in their own section and not clutter up an area that should be used for factual game information.
                    Last edited by Bertha; 06-13-2009, 08:02 PM.
                    sigpic
                    Are you tired, Rebecca?

Comment

M'hm, that does seem to make more sense than a sub forum solely for modding purposes. Perhaps we could have a sub forum similar to Biohaze's "User Created" sub forum, where people can post fan art, fan fics, mods, the lot.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexia_Ashford View Post
                        M'hm, that does seem to make more sense than a sub forum solely for modding purposes. Perhaps we could have a sub forum similar to Biohaze's "User Created" sub forum, where people can post fan art, fan fics, mods, the lot.
                        I voted yes, and i think this would be the best idea, a "user created content" sub forum.

Comment

What's wrong with Enrico's forum? it just needs better advertisement cos nobody outside bioflames knows about it.
                          I can't keep up with all the posts on this forum as it is let alone adding a new section.
                          If he had a brain, he'd be dangerous.

sigpic

Comment

What's wrong with Enrico's forum? it just needs better advertisement cos nobody outside bioflames knows about it.
                            I can't keep up with all the posts on this forum as it is let alone adding a new section.
                            Quoted for truth.
                            I'm a blackstar.

Comment

So you'd rather use TWO forums, than use ONE, but complain of not being able to keep track of ONE of them alone?

There's a "new posts" tab at the top of the forum, use that. Works perfectly fine.

Comment

Working...
                              X