Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

gameplay or story? whats more important?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gameplay or story? whats more important?

ok so i didnt want to make the other thread go to off topic like i do other threads.
    so what do you guys think is more important? game play or story? for me its story. i can play a game with shitty game play cause the story is good to me but i cant play a game with good controls and a shitty story line thats just me.

so what are your opinions?

With me, i prefer story more.
    Because if there isnt enough cutscenes in the game (like mgs length) i get board real easy.
    Sure...Resi doesnt have cutscenes that long, but the game does have plenty of them.
    Plus, if the storys good, it makes the game exciteing to play and it draws me in, where as if it's
    mostly game play...then the game feels empty.
    Last edited by Andyfer_Ruu; 07-03-2009, 05:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by nemesiswontdie View Post
      ok so i didnt want to make the other thread go to off topic like i do other threads.
      so what do you guys think is more important? game play or story? for me its story. i can play a game with shitty game play cause the story is good to me but i cant play a game with good controls and a shitty story line thats just me.

so what are your opinions?
      Damn you I was just about to make this exact same topic!

I think story in games is very overrated, don;t get me wrong i love a good story, but to many games try to have an epic story lien and fail hard and ruin everything.

Gameplay is the most important aspect i think, that's why it's called a Video Game and not a Video Story. If you want a story then read a book or watch a movie. Games are meant to be about the gameplay.

And games with no story at all generally have better gameplay that games with a storyline.

From the other topic.

omg...

im not trying to be a dick but seriously?

COD has a story line thus the option in the main menu -story mode
      no online game has a story unless its co-op.

alot of people play games cause of the story.

but lets not talk about it here i already made a thread for it.
      Yeah it was an example, but still you play COd4's online more than single player though.
      Last edited by missvalentine; 07-03-2009, 05:12 AM.

Comment

i dont play COD at all.

but still i cant play a game if it has a shitty story i cant. RE5 was ok and i thought it would get better and it did a little untill the end then i only played it for the trophies. Game play doesnt mean shit for me and i'd rather have a good story than game play and i think a couple of people here will agree with me.

Comment

I think I may of butchered my opinions over MSN so I'm going to post mine here:

To me, both elements are important. The gameplay has to be good, otherwise I obviously won't want to play it.

But a game needs a good storyline that I enjoy. I like being immersed in these worlds and finding out a characters history and just absorbing all the information about the Universe that I can. Without a good story, I can't fully enjoy a game.

Some games do take it too far at times, like Metal Gear Solid for example. There's a large focus on both gameplay and story but the story seems to constantly edge out the gameplay with these epic huge scenes explaining things that get boring.

I mean, I can play a game that has little to no story, games like Tetris for example, but these days story is really important, which is why you see people arguing over whether the story in such-and-such a game was good or not and why did the characters do this etc.

So yeah, both gameplay and story are important for me.

Comment

i dont play COD at all.

but still i cant play a game if it has a shitty story i cant. RE5 was ok and i thought it would get better and it did a little untill the end then i only played it for the trophies. Game play doesnt mean shit for me and i'd rather have a good story than game play and i think a couple of people here will agree with me.
            I do agree with you *points to second post*
            But i thought RE5s story was epic but this post isnt about that, so never mind.
            As i said before, the story is the thing that draws me into the game and keeps me interested.
            Last edited by Andyfer_Ruu; 07-03-2009, 05:23 AM.

Comment

i dont play COD at all.

I don't need a good story to keep me interested, though it can help, it's just it's not as important for me.

And a game with bad gameplay can ruin it for me. I don't care how engaging a games story is, if the gameplay isn't good then i can't play it, it just bores the hell outta me.
              Last edited by missvalentine; 07-03-2009, 01:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by missvalentine View Post
                Well then your not really a gamer are you, your a movie buff into video games or something lol.
                Or he's a gamer who likes a good storyline?

Comment

Yeah but a gamer is a person who plays games because they enjoys playing games, because the gameplay attracts them, not just story.

Although, RPG's are mainly story so you could be right.

Comment

Originally posted by missvalentine View Post
                    Well then your not really a gamer are you, your a movie buff into video games or something lol.

I don't need a good story to keep me interested, though it can help, it's just it's not as important for me.

And a game with bad gameplay can ruin it for me. I don't care how engaging a games story is, if the gameplay isn't good then i can't play it, it just bores the hell outta me.

im gonna let the first part slide so i wont get a infraction.

but anyways the story has to be good for me to play it cause if its not there is nothing stopping me and pressing the PS button then pressing "Quit game"

Capcom:hey here you gamers go...oh and that guy who likes games but isnt a gamer he just likes games...heres a game for you the story sucks ass but it has good gameplay.

as for RE3 focusing on gameplay more than story... i disagree here as well. RE3 added only 2 new things quick turn and dodge thats it and the dodge system sucks too.

Comment

A gamer is someone who likes playing video games. Whether that's for the gameplay or the storyline, it doesn't matter. They play the game and enjoy the experience. What they like about a game doesn't really fit into the equation.

Comment

im gonna let the first part slide so i wont get a infraction.

but anyways the story has to be good for me to play it cause if its not there is nothing stopping me and pressing the PS button then pressing "Quit game"

Capcom:hey here you gamers go...oh and that guy who likes games but isnt a gamer he just likes games...heres a game for you the story sucks ass but it has good gameplay.

as for RE3 focusing on gameplay more than story... i disagree here as well. RE3 added only 2 new things quick turn and dodge thats it and the dodge system sucks too.
                        Sorry, i didn't think you would find that offensive, I apologize. I didn't mean to offend.

RE3 has the best gameplay of the series I think, it has the best boss, Nemesis, the best weapons, and is probably the most fun RE game to play and replay.

BTW it also added manually running up stars, and random enemy placement, which meant that no to playthroughs were the same, cause there would be different enemies everywhere.

Comment

yha thats it the biggest part was the dodge like i said and it sucked it was god awful to even try cause 2/3rd of the time it didnt work and walking up stairs manually isnt that big of a deal either. for some reason ive never had the random enemy placement if i can recall if by random enemy placement means by zombies outfits changing then yes i remember very clearly

what did you play MGS for? you heard the story was good right? ive never heard someone say "play MGS cause it has fucking AWESOME game play.Forget about the story play for the gameplay"

Comment

...and the dodge system sucks too.
                            If you can harness it, it's awesome. Spoiler:

I'd say that mostly, I enjoy the games for the stories they tell. Granted, books and film often have better, more complicated, original stories, but I like the delivery though games. But it's the story that piques my interest in games I may not otherwise try.

That said, some games that I really enjoy I don't play for the story. Mostly competitive multiplayer games, where the enjoyment comes from the competition of playing against other humans, rather than anything the computer itself. The computer game is just the paradigm which two (or more) players compete in.

I also enjoy puzzle games and even print crosswords - just for the satisfaction of completing something challenging.

In conclusion - there's all sorts of reasons I play games
                            sigpic

Comment

na Gene ive done it tons of times but to me it just sucks i dont use it i just run pass them there is no point to dodge unless its against Nemesis.

Comment

Working...
                              X